HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Its all about the athletics. Schools with the revenue build graduate programs in lucrative fields; medical schools , law schools ect.

Those students make big money and give back.

There's only a few HBUs with medical schools, law schools ect

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You can’t give back when you a communications or theatre major working at TJ Maxx with tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt :yeshrug:

Most of the people Ik who went to HBCUs came right back home or ended up pregnant :francis:
I noticed this quite a bit, but that's student failure as opposed to institutional failure.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The admissions at HBCU’s are lackluster. They let anyone in, compare the give back rates to institutions with the same admission requirements.
If they didn't let anyone in, they'd all fold from lack of students :deadrose:
I hate to say it, but the average AA student doesn't have solid grades or solid test scores.

If HBCUs had a cutoff of 19 ACT and 3.0, we'd probably lost 70 of them within 4 years.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
If they didn't let anyone in, they'd all fold from lack of students :deadrose:
I hate to say it, but the average AA student doesn't have solid grades or solid test scores.

If HBCUs had a cutoff of 19 ACT and 3.0, we'd probably lost 70 of them within 4 years.

Yep look at graduate rates

Musty

Banned
Daps
My mom stopped donating to Spelman when they turned my sister down.

If you read Reginald Lewis (1st Black billionaire) book, Why Should White Guys Have All The Fun, they mention how his donations to Hampton were dwarfed by the enormous donations he made to Harvard. He’s an alum of both schools but gave Hampton the shaft.

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
that's because majority of the alumni are not eating well off those degrees

This is what Yvette Cornell is talking about

When black men with advanced degrees make half as much as white men with no degrees these are your results.

Black women are the most educated group, but have the most debt from student loans and are the most pass over for job advancement

They cant give what they dont have....

#ADOS.....reparations NOW!!!!!!!

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
My Brother went to Morris Brown around 2000-2002 straight up disaster. Seemed like they were going up to the school every month for financial aid problems . The dorms were in poor condition too. The elevator ceiling wasn't fully done and we saw about two roaches in one quick walk through. Brother said the food was good though and the professors were great. He also enjoyed the marching band. :yeshrug:

How i miss this topic. I was in the band at Morris Brown at that time, probably know your bruh. I was only there for a semester to play in the band though, that next semester i took my ass to GT. I was going to enroll for that one semester but the president was obviously shady as fukk when we met him so my mom was like naaaaaa we not signing any paperwork for him. Turns out she was 100% right.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My mom stopped donating to Spelman when they turned my sister down.

If you read Reginald Lewis (1st Black billionaire) book, Why Should White Guys Have All The Fun, they mention how his donations to Hampton were dwarfed by the enormous donations he made to Harvard. He’s an alum of both schools but gave Hampton the shaft.
A couple of other alums have done the same thing.
How i miss this topic. I was in the band at Morris Brown at that time, probably know your bruh. I was only there for a semester to play in the band though, that next semester i took my ass to GT. I was going to enroll for that one semester but the president was obviously shady as fukk when we met him so my mom was like naaaaaa we not signing any paperwork for him. Turns out she was 100% right.
They were dealing with mass debt and things, so you made a good decision :hubie:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
You already know what that's about though.
At certain levels of wealth, and at certain institutions, public donations by alumni are D measuring contests. They are flamming(stunting) on each other. The title of the book indicates the joy Lewis must have gotten from making record donations to Harvard and stunting on old money white people.

I'd bet that he made the single largest donation to VSU at the time as well. Just fewer competing millionaire alumni there .

I just looked it up and his wife/daughters made it right with VSU after he passed.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
REGINALD LEWIS' DAUGHTER

==============================================================

Christina Lewis: Living on the legacy
Cyril Josh Barker | 8/2/2018, 10:10 a.m.

Christina Lewis is the daughter of late Black billionaire and business legend Reginald F. Lewis. Today she’s carrying on his legacy, giving African-Americans the tools for success as founder and CEO of the nonprofit organization All Star Code, which teaches Black and Latino boys computer skills.

Since launching the organization in 2014, hundreds of young men have graduated from the program with skills they can use to be part of the tech job market. All Star Code recently held its fifth annual Summer Benefit in East Hampton, where $900,000 was raised for the organization.

“I couldn’t do anything with my time if I wasn’t helping Black people,” she said in a recent interview with the AmNews. “Given the state of what is happening, there is so much need. I just don’t think I could not be doing something to help.”

Growing up in New York and Paris, Lewis said that she lived in a high-achieving household with her father and mother, Loida Nicolas Lewis. She said her father made sure the she knew Black history and about what success means.

“My father made me aware we had advantages because of how hard he worked,” Lewis said. “There was such a strong emphasis on Black history. Every month was Black History Month in our house.”

Lewis said her father also showed her the business side. Reginald Lewis is best known for owning snack food, beverage and grocery store conglomerate TLC Beatrice Foods, which he built into billion-dollar company. Lewis often accompanied her father at work. She was only 12 when her father died in 1993.

After graduating from Harvard University, Lewis worked as a journalist for Court TV, the Stamford Advocate in Connecticut and The Wall Street Journal.

Her interest in technology came when she went to a tech conference in Florida in 2011 and noticed the lack of diversity in the field. After talking with several people about the issue, she founded All Star Code.

“Tech is everything today and it’s running our civilization,” she said. “When I looked at all of the computer science organizations, I noticed they were focusing on girls or coed programs. Nothing was focusing was on young men of color.”

Lewis added that by teaching young Black and Latino men skills in tech, she is making them ready for a job market in which there is an abundance of jobs. All Star Code aims to develop a new generation of entrepreneurs. The organizations flagship program, the Summer Intensive, is a six-week coding boot camp where young men learn computer science.

All Star Code has partnered with several companies, including Spotify, Yahoo, Comcast, JPMorgan Chase and Facebook.

In its first expansion city, All Star Code has a program in Pittsburgh partnering with Chatham University.

“This is a movement that’s about America being equal,” Lewis said. “When you meet the students, they are so strong. This has made such a huge difference in their lives.”

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
You already know what that's about though.
At certain levels of wealth, and at certain institutions, public donations by alumni are D measuring contests. They are flamming(stunting) on each other. The title of the book indicates the joy Lewis must have gotten from making record donations to Harvard and stunting on old money white people.

I'd bet that he made the single largest donation to VSU at the time as well. Just fewer competing millionaire alumni there .

I just looked it up and his wife/daughters made it right with VSU after he passed.
Robert F. Smith just stunted on every living alumnus of Morehouse....and he didn't even go there.