Has Sony surpassed Nintendo in 1st party IPs?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
All I'm seeing is numbers exposing y'all again

Assuming the cube sold 20 million the DS sold 154 milly, that's about 174 million total

Which is about the same for the Wii u and 3ds sells

Meaning collectively they were moving systems

No one contested their handhelds. Wasn't even the argument. Jeez, stop being obtuse and reaching fool.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gotta disagree with the bolded.

You're doing numbers gymnastics to fit your argument. Especially with leaving out the Wii which sold 102 million units :usure:

Nintendo as a business knows how to turn a profit. They weren't in danger of going the Sega route. Come on breh.

The success of the wii doesn’t make up for the failure of the GameCube and Wii-U though. Also, these consoles released when performance wise they were still on par with the other two.

The gap is so large now between current gen xbox and PlayStation that there is no way nintendo would have been able to put out a non-portable console and moved units. Their IP alone isn’t enough just like Sega’s wasn’t enough.

For perspective the Dreamcast sold around 10 million units...the Wii-U sold 13 million

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
The success of the wii doesn’t make up for the failure of the GameCube and Wii-U though. Also, these consoles released when performance wise they were still on par with the other two.

The gap is so large now between current gen xbox and PlayStation that there is no way nintendo would have been able to put out a non-portable console and moved units. Their IP alone isn’t enough just like Sega’s wasn’t enough.

How is them innovating a bad thing though? Why is that being looked down upon? They haven't been graphics whores for quite a while and haven't needed to be.

Nobody's IP is "enough" but if I were a betting man I would say Nintendo could survive longer off their IP than the other two could

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
:mjlol:

Oh it's only ok when y'all move the goal post got it

:laff:

There wasn't any movement. Duke literally said, showed and proved that their consoles have not been selling for years and that only handhelds were. Your response, "Well...their handhelds have always been selling". Yeah, no shyt duke, that was stated already.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
How is them innovating a bad thing though? Why is that being looked down upon? They haven't been graphics whores for quite a while and haven't needed to be.

Nobody's IP is "enough" but if I were a betting man I would say Nintendo could survive longer off their IP than the other two could

I never said it was a bad thing I said it was a necessity. I’m not looking down on Nintendo for going portable, I’m simply saying their IP was never enough to sustain them in the console market. Their world class 1st party titles is marketing. If people couldn’t live without mario, smash, zelda, they would have all a bought a wii-u. Instead all these games that yall are going crazy over now are a decade old because you didn’t care enough about them before.

Saying they can survive off their 1st party titles is false because they haven’t been. They’ve been surviving off their innovations in functionality in hardware. No gaming company can survive purely off 1st party titles. Not even nintendo

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There wasn't any movement. Duke literally said, showed and proved that their consoles have not been selling for years and that only handhelds were. Your response, "Well...their handhelds have always been selling". Yeah, no shyt duke, that was stated already.

No I said add their handhelds to the total numbers during those console systems run since they were split'n numbers, resources and titles between them all

And most of all because handhelds are.....

Consoles.

Handheld consoles.

It's the reason they are on the list in the 1st place....

Or you can say the Wii u and gamecube flopped, but when you got double the consoles out, overlap and 8 out the top 15 best selling consoles that's bound to happen.

:snoop:

Sony stans

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
I never said it was a bad thing I said it was a necessity. I’m not looking down on Nintendo for going portable, I’m simply saying their IP was never enough to sustain them in the console market. Their world class 1st party titles is marketing. If people couldn’t live without mario, smash, zelda, they would have all a bought a wii-u. Instead all these games that yall are going crazy over now are a decade old because you didn’t care enough about them before.

Saying they can survive off their 1st party titles is false because they haven’t been. They’ve been surviving off their innovations in functionality in hardware. No gaming company can survive purely off 1st party titles. Not even nintendo

Agreed - They like to innovate (or try to though), that has always been their MO. Power hasn't been their thing for a while.

But you're telling me that if they truly made a system that used the same format and was built with the same specs as the other two systems their IPs wouldn't have them selling just as much, if not more? If anything their "innovation" has sometimes killed their sales

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Jay z made it simple...

3 consoles in 20 years, nikka? I could divide
Two of them shyts was doo
2 was “nah...,” the other was Wii
That’s a one-hot-console-every-20-year average

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
:whoa: only the vita flopped.

Psp top 10.

Too bad this thread is about games. Maybe you arent qualified to speak on this:francis:
What are the must play nintendo games the last 5 years besides botw?
You made the thread and felt qualified to speak on it, so you tell me.:unimpressed:

Go ahead an talk on how Sony stans wanna separate themselves from the Microsoft's lineup of games and act like it so much better when in reality it took Sony three gens and til the end of the PS3 era to release 1st party worth a damn. :unimpressed:

Tell us why Sony ducks that fade from Nintendo damn near every holiday season and release their AAA games in March instead of Q4? :unimpressed:

And while ur at it, feel free to speak on how Nintendo multiplayer games can out sell Sony's by so much despite their issues with online gaming with their platforms? I guess that just magically happens every gen huh?:unimpressed:

All this revolutionary talk but when pressed all y'all do is point to Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and 3rd party partnerships.:unimpressed:.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No I said add their handhelds to the total numbers during those console systems run since they were split'n numbers, resources and titles between them all

And most of all because handhelds are.....

Consoles.

Handheld consoles.

It's the reason they are on the list in the 1st place....

Or you can say the Wii u and gamecube flopped, but when you got double the consoles out, overlap and 8 out the top 15 best selling consoles that's bound to happen.

:snoop:

Sony stans

We talking about 3 different markets now.

There’s PC, Console, Portable...no one here was talking about handheld until you moved to goalpost to include them because you know if we keep it on consoles nintendo looking funny in the light. Also while the Wii outsold the ps3, it hasn’t outsold any other PlayStation console

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Agreed - They like to innovate (or try to though), that has always been their MO. Power hasn't been their thing for a while.

But you're telling me that if they truly made a system that used the same format and was built with the same specs as the other two systems their IPs wouldn't have them selling just as much, if not more? If anything their "innovation" has sometimes killed their sales

The GameCube matched the playstation 2 in specs, and it didn’t happen.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
:stopitslime::mjlol:

I don't think it's comparable tbh. One is trying to be like Disney the other is doing its own thing.

Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem vs. God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, The last of Us, and Spiderman. No sense in comparing imo.

I think Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have 40 and 30 million sales on switch :picard:.

I wish Nintendo was on the NYSE
Nintendo is definitely on the NYSE bro, NTDOY. I've been a shareholder since 2016.