Has Sony surpassed Nintendo in 1st party IPs?

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Jay z made it simple...

3 consoles in 20 years, nikka? I could divide
Two of them shyts was doo
2 was “nah...,” the other was Wii
That’s a one-hot-console-every-20-year average
Bruh when you just gonna come out and say you hate Nintendo? :russ: And the Wii is easily Nintendo's worst console.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Bruh when you just gonna come out and say you hate Nintendo? :russ: And the Wii is easily Nintendo's worst console.

I hate nintendo but owned everyone (but the wii-u) and own over 500 dollars worth of games for the current one? Why can’t yall accept criticism for nintendo?

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't understand the intent of this thread. Are we saying Sony's 1st Party IPs are rivaling Nintendo's in quality? Yeah, an argument can be made there, especially after the PS4's lineup proved to be so stellar. I lean towards Nintendo being better overall but I know I have a bias.

In terms of notoriety, or quantity? No way, not even close. Like someone pointed out earlier in the thread..Nintendo is in the same stratosphere as Disney. Pikachu is Japanese Mickey Mouse at this point. Happy Meals. Birthday parties. A freaking section in 2 different Universal Studios theme parks.

Come on.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand the intent of this thread. Are we saying Sony's 1st Party IPs are rivaling Nintendo's in quality? Yeah, an argument can be made there, especially after the PS4's lineup proved to be so stellar. I lean towards Nintendo being better overall but I know I have a bias.

In terms of notoriety, or quantity? No way, not even close. Like someone pointed out earlier in the thread..Nintendo is in the same stratosphere as Disney. Pikachu is Japanese Mickey Mouse at this point. Happy Meals. Birthday parties. A freaking section in 2 different Universal Studios theme parks.

Come on.

Pretty sure when these convos ever come it, it's always first and foremost about quality. From the context of the thread from opening post onward, it seemed primarily centered around quality. Only a few of the try hards wanted to make it about sales or tried to make that the litmus and priority of the convo. Sales are a garner of mass accessibility and hype more than sheer quality. At the end of the day, we're gamers on a gaming sub-forum discussing games. I'd think that would lean towards the content and quality of said games before anything else. We not hear to play with the amount that the games have sold.

Tho in quantity, there about neck and neck at this point, especially if you're talking as of recently. They both got a shytload of old games that they've not updated in decades. Tho Nintendo been around 10 years and two consoles gens longer, so they should have more quantity overall.

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Whether it’s been not out or not from both sides
Sony has improved a lot but they ain’t seeing Nintendo on this

Damn animal crossing already over 30 mil ain’t even out a year

Pokémon
Zelda
Mario
now animal crossing

are there holy grails nobody seeing this

Mario has Mario kart or smash or some kind of 3D world or 2d world

Pokémon is god status Quality aside damn mascot now

Zelda acclaimed

now animal crossing is the damn new sims

And I fukk with Sony heavy not seeing how when those ips bring in absurd money and sales and console sellers

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pretty sure when these convos ever come it, it's always first and foremost about quality. From the context of the thread from opening post onward, it seemed primarily centered around quality. Only a few of the try hards wanted to make it about sales or tried to make that the litmus and priority of the convo. Sales are a garner of mass accessibility and hype more than sheer quality. At the end of the day, we're gamers on a gaming sub-forum discussing games. I'd think that would lean towards the content and quality of said games before anything else. We not hear to play with the amount that the games have sold.

Tho in quantity, there about neck and neck at this point, especially if you're talking as of recently. They both got a shytload of old games that they've not updated in decades. Tho Nintendo been around 10 years and two consoles gens longer, so they should have more quantity overall.
Neck and neck in quantity? No way. These IPs like Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper (criminally underrated franchise), Killzone...great games but they don't have the track record (eg, quantity of releases) that the tried and true Nintendo mainstays do. Mario. Zelda. Kirby. Metroid. Pokemon. Donkey Kong. Fire Emblem. They certainly don't have the notoriety in hardcore or casual gaming circles.

As for a quality argument...if we're talking last gen exclusively, being objective about it, yes, Sony IPs have been of a higher overall quality than what we've seen on the Switch/Wii U. For every Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey, there was a Kirby Star Allies or Star Fox Zero. Expanding over the longer arc of history..Nintendo's got all the classics.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Neck and neck in quantity? No way. These IPs like Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper (criminally underrated franchise), Killzone...great games but they don't have the track record (eg, quantity of releases) that the tried and true Nintendo mainstays do. Mario. Zelda. Kirby. Metroid. Pokemon. Donkey Kong. Fire Emblem. They certainly don't have the notoriety in hardcore or casual gaming circles.

As for a quality argument...if we're talking last gen exclusively, being objective about it, yes, Sony IPs have been of a higher overall quality than what we've seen on the Switch/Wii U. For every Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey, there was a Kirby Star Allies or Star Fox Zero. Expanding over the longer arc of history..Nintendo's got all the classics.

Strictly IPs breh, not sequels under the same IPs, they're pretty close at this point. And I stated before, quantity should be on Nintendo's side overall since they were in the game 2 gens before.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa

All this bullshyt spinning. Why did it take Sony 3 gens to get some notable 1st party games? And where are the iconic IP and pillar games since Sony games are just so revolutionary and beyond anything out there?

Answer that for me please. I keep asking and you keep dodging.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I think you either confused my standpoint or the chronology of events, breh. You provided reasons as to why it was on a death march and I provided the reasons that it marched itself out of it, which was the games, fool.

1st party games don't march you out of overpriced, failing hardware. Otherwise, the PS3 never would have been troublesome to begin with, as Sony 1st/2nd party was usually solid. PS3's swing upwards towards the end of its life cycle due to more reliable and reasonably priced hardware.

Meanwhile, Nintendo packaged an overclocked GameCube with some motion controls and sold by the ton, driven by 1st and 2nd party sales. Not 3rd.

All in the execution.

You stuck in the past.. gow, lou, hzd are more relevant ips in the gaming world right now

I want to be clear on the definition of relevant here.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
All this bullshyt spinning. Why did it take Sony 3 gens to get some notable 1st party games? And where are the iconic IP and pillar games since Sony games are just so revolutionary and beyond anything out there?

Answer that for me please. I keep asking and you keep dodging.
I already stated them in the first post you quoted me on, fool.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Meanwhile, Nintendo packaged an overclocked GameCube with some motion controls and sold by the ton, driven by 1st and 2nd party sales. Not 3rd.

All in the execution.

I want to be clear on the definition of relevant here.
The shyt was frontloaded though. Wii was :flabbynsick: status a few years in while Sony was taking over.