• Total voters

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe he didn't have any material.

Maybe he can give them like 10 mins with top off his head....If he's a truly comedian so I'm sure he can pull it off with just a simple 10 mins or can roast at their friends with 10 mins. I'm sure a lot of comedian can pull it off.

I just think he just lost interest.

DA_LURKA

#SovereignOfSolitude
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Strictly For My Lurkas...
Maybe he can give them like 10 mins with top off his head....If he's a truly comedian so I'm sure he can pull it off with just a simple 10 mins or can roast at their friends with 10 mins. I'm sure a lot of comedian can pull it off.

I just think he just lost interest.
You have a point cause Dave Chapelle, who i don't find to be funny at stand up killed it in that first clip when he was in London. He had me rolling and he came through on the humble.

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Harlem Nights and it ain't even close.

Thats not to shyt on Life, but Harlem nights is on another level. One of my go to comedies still to this day.

I'd have to agree with the poster who said it must be an age thing. Ain't no way in hell you an 80s baby and got Life over this.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I remember it was two years ago on Spike TV where they having Eddie Murphy comedy legend honored by Samuel L Jackson, Russell Brand, Jamie Foxx, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Martin Lawrence, Arsenio Hall, his older brother Charlie Murphy, Keenen Ivory Wayans,Tracy Morgan etc many mores. by Spike TV channel.

I thought they gonna roast Eddie but it wasn't, it was just paying tribute to Eddie Murphy. Then when Arsenio Hall came on the stage and he was begging and asked the crowd to begging like :feedme: to Eddie just do the comedy stand up for last time in here and Eddie was like :whoa:, and was like "nah":rudy: then Arsenio kept begging then realzied Eddie really didn't want to do it so he was like "all right"

:patrice:.

That shyt had me thinking, maybe he doesn't have in him anymore to be funny? or didn't want to get embarrassed that his joke are whack while you have people would try hard to pretending and laughing with him just for his sake and he didn't want that either that would insult his intelligence
i remember chris rock had that show on hbo... martin was his guest... it was just as kings of comedy was blowing up

chris: me, you and eddie should do a real kings of comedy

me & Martin: :ohhh::whoo::obama:

then i never heard another word.... i know where that no came from... so sad... he got caught with that tranny and been doing kids flicks ever since

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Life! i tried to watch harlem nights, but couldn't make it halfway through. the dynamic between martin and eddie was phenomenal. why the fukk haven't they made another movie together? :mindblown:

:deadmanny::deadrose::dead:

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know it's Blasphemy, cuz Harlem Nights has all the BLACKEXCELLENCE comedic legends, but I prefer Life:yeshrug:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Life easy.

Thinking about how they got they entire lives taken from them :to:

Harlem nights was alright. In reality the only thing I think of when I think of that movie is the pee shooter scene.

what really elevates the movies IMO is how smart they were.

Eddie was speaking on history & how it destroyed black lives. Peonage & how the Harlem Renaissance was destroyed by the Mob in part. He told you the truth while making you laugh about it :wow:

Urethra Franklin

caught a virus from Churches Chicken
Daps
Harlem Nights and it ain't even close.

Thats not to shyt on Life, but Harlem nights is on another level. One of my go to comedies still to this day.

I'd have to agree with the poster who said it must be an age thing. Ain't no way in hell you an 80s baby and got Life over this.

Both Eddie Murphy and the movie combined received two Golden Raspberry Award nominations for the film for both Worst Director and Worst Screenplay with Murphy and the movie winning for the latter.

By his own admission, Eddie Murphy felt that he didn't dedicate enough thought or care to the directing of his debut. He was more concerned at the time with figuring out where the next party was going to be.

The movie won Worst Picture at the Hastings Bad Cinema Society's 12th Stinkers Bad Movie Awards in 1989.

According to TV Tropes, "after this movie's failure, Eddie Murphy's career wouldn't recover until the 1996 remake of The Nutty Professor

Despite a fair gross, the film was considered a box office disappointment by the studio, earning roughly half of Murphy's earlier box office successes Coming to America and Beverly Hills Cop II from the previous two years.

madness

Taking my talents to South Beach
Daps
Reppin
City of Zoes
harlem nights caught a lot of hate when it first came out. it wasnt until richard pryor, robin harris and redd foxx died did people go back and see how funny it was.

but life was just funny as shyt, eddie is always at his best when he's doing those slick-talking roles and the way he was cracking jokes on martin's meek character was priceless.

lowkey that flick also had superb makeup crew, they did an amazing job on martin and eddie as they got older throughout the movie

i thought eddie was gearing up for a career comeback when he was supposed to host the oscars a few years back. then the fakkit community got mad at brett ratner and he dropped out.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
I remember it was two years ago on Spike TV where they having Eddie Murphy comedy legend honored by Samuel L Jackson, Russell Brand, Jamie Foxx, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Martin Lawrence, Arsenio Hall, his older brother Charlie Murphy, Keenen Ivory Wayans,Tracy Morgan etc many mores. by Spike TV channel.

I thought they gonna roast Eddie but it wasn't, it was just paying tribute to Eddie Murphy. Then when Arsenio Hall came on the stage and he was begging and asked the crowd to begging like :feedme: to Eddie just do the comedy stand up for last time in here and Eddie was like :whoa:, and was like "nah":rudy: then Arsenio kept begging then realzied Eddie really didn't want to do it so he was like "all right"

:patrice:.

That shyt had me thinking, maybe he doesn't have in him anymore to be funny? or didn't want to get embarrassed that his joke are whack while you have people would try hard to pretending and laughing with him just for his sake and he didn't want that either that would insult his intelligence
I don't think it has anything to do with him being scared of not being funny or embarrassing himself (hilarious people rarely stop being funny anyway). Stand up is just such a time consuming endeavor, he probably just doesn't want to put the work in. It's easier (and more profitable) to read off of a script and adlib and improv where needed. I very much doubt Eddie is too shook to do it though.