Hard Knocks Life Vol. 3-Will the Defense be up to Par(sons)- ‘21 Cowboys Season Thread

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
fukk it, I used my girl's student e-mail to sign up for a half-off discount cuz I wanted to read this shyt. Imma cancel after the month so lemme know if ya'll want anything off PFF over the next month.

Galina: The shortcomings of the Kellen Moore-Dak Prescott connection for the Dallas Cowboys

The expectations of an NFL play caller and offensive coordinator are two-fold in the passing game.

First, their job is to win the chess match against defenses enough times to where the quarterback does not have to work through their progressions on a consistent basis. Calling plays based on the defense's expected reaction so that the passer can throw at the end of his dropback is paramount. Second, it’s to manufacture enough easy downfield throws per game where the play design allows for an explosive gain regardless of who is playing quarterback.

In the Dallas Cowboys’ wild-card loss to the San Francisco 49ers, offensive coordinator Kellen Moore failed on both counts. That left quarterback Dak Prescott on an island throughout the game — and often throughout the season too.

This isn’t to sweep under the rug head coach Mike McCarthy’s baffling in-game decision-making or the team's inability to run a play without first committing a pre-snap penalty. Dallas’ decision to leave its punt unit on the field on a first down against the 49ers’ actual defense is laughable, and it led to one of those pre-snap penalties. Over the course of the season, the Cowboys’ offense tied for the NFL lead in snaps on first-and-11 or more, and they had three such plays this weekend. Such miscues — 14 in total — constantly put them behind the eight-ball in the playoff loss.

Penalties aside, the Moore-Prescott connection needs some thorough examination. When everything is clicking, the duo can look like world-beaters. That’s why the Cowboys finished third in overall offensive success rate, but that often falls on Prescott being able to go through his progressions and complete a pass late in the down rather than Moore creating offense through the lens of the play caller’s expectations laid out earlier.

READING IT OUT
Of the 26 quarterbacks who threw 50 passes this season with a time to throw above three seconds from the pocket, Prescott ranked 24th in average depth of target while placing eighth in passing grade on such plays. The Cowboys slotted in at 19th in expected points added per play in these situations. This can be used as a proxy for Prescott’s ability to get through progressions and find the right receiver but the offense still not moving much.

Early in the 49ers game, Prescott was forced down to his fourth read — a swing pass to Ezekiel Elliott that the running back tried to catch with one hand before it fell to the turf.

4strong.gif

It’s really good quarterback play to read through the corner route to Cedrick Wilson, the first in-route to Amari Cooper, the second in-route to CeeDee Lamb and then to the running back on the swing pass. These plays tend to be a theme in this offense.

We just have to look at the offense that the Cowboys played against on Sunday to see the opposite. 49ers head coach and offensive play caller Kyle Shanahan has made a living on getting his quarterback to his first read as often as possible to take away any extra “quarterbacking.”

Prescott posted an 84.3 passing grade on plays where he threw the ball in under three seconds this season, while San Francisco quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo rang in at 73.7. That checks out to No. 7 versus No. 18, respectively, in the league. Yet, Garoppolo’s yards per attempt figure ranked second in the NFL. The 49ers’ concepts don’t have high degrees of difficulty, but the coordinator finds ways to get the ball into their playmakers' hands early and with space.

The 49ers finished this season with the most yards after the catch per completion while Dallas — with a bevy of playmakers itself — ranked 20th. Yards after catch can be, and often are, a product of offensive design.

The Moore offense seems to fall in the “grab bag” category of overall offensive schematics. In 2020, the Cowboys ran the classic “shallow cross” concept quite a bit. It’s a somewhat difficult concept involving routes over the middle of the field where, time and time again, Prescott had to find an open receiver late in the progression.

They barely run the play anymore. In fact, they didn’t run it at all against the 49ers. The offense being able to change year to year — while other offenses such as that of the 49ers, Packers or Titans can stay consistent in their base packages — and still have success is a testament to Prescott and even Moore for some of his play designs.

But, they are an offense without a major overarching identity in the dropback passing game. It’s not to say the offenses that do have an easy-to-spot identity are better or worse, but they seem to do a good job creating for the quarterback rather than the quarterback themself creating for the offense.

We see plays where the Cowboys call a concept expecting one type of coverage, get a different one and Dak is left stranded.

cover2beater.gif

Here, they are expecting a Cover 2 shell. Wilson’s job is to hold the half-field safety, and Cooper’s is to run the out-n’-up over top of a low cornerback. They get a one-safety coverage instead, so Wilson runs into the safety and the cornerback stays high on top of Cooper.

takeback.gif

Later in the game, we saw the opposite — a play designed to crease Cover 2 but that instead got Cover 3. Tight end Dalton Schultz’s route is supposed to create a “hi-lo” effect on the Mike linebacker in Cover 2, and Dak will read him. When the 49ers spin down to Cover 3, they have enough intermediate zone droppers to account for Schultz and Wilson’s underneath route.

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
Where Prescott could have been better in this game was throwing outside to his better receivers. With Michael Gallup lost for the season, Lamb slides to outside receiver from his normal slot alignment. The 49ers do not have great cornerbacks and choose to play off on the outside in most of their zone coverages. There were some opportunities to pick up first downs on deep curl routes to the sideline.

49ers.png

Yet, Dallas ended up with a lot of throws to Wilson in an important playoff game. When Moore is able to get Prescott to his first read, the results are impressive.

firstread.gif

MANUFACTURING OFFENSE
While Dallas’ offense ranked third in success rate, it placed 11th in rate of explosive pass plays. Specifically, the Cowboys could not create down the field in their play-action game. They ranked 26th in rate of explosive pass plays off play action.

This reared its ugly head again against the 49ers. While Garoppolo on the other sideline is constantly given open receivers down the field off play action…

49erspa.gif

… Dak is left still reading out coverages and finding no one open.

dallasplaycation-768x363.png

Prescott ranked 23rd in volume of plays where at least three receivers were charted as “open” off play action this season.

All of this isn’t to say the Prescott-Moore connection is broken. The offense works because Prescott is able to go through his progressions in a highly advanced way. Earlier in the season, the offense had started bulking up its on-field personnel. From Week 1 to Week 8, they ran 11 personnel (three receivers, one tight end, one running back) 56% of the time. Their personnel diversity allowed for some bigger plays in the passing game. They were fifth in explosive pass play rate up to that point in the season.

But backup tight end Blake Jarwin — a big part of Dallas’ personnel diversity — missed the next 10 weeks and the offense reverted back to its 2020 personnel groupings. From Week 9 until the end of the Cowboys' season — even with Jarwin back for the last three games — the team ran 11 personnel on 67% of their snaps.

Living in three-wide personnel groupings is going to ask a lot of a quarterback, and Prescott continues to impress in his ability to create within the structure of the Moore offense. However, if Moore does stick around as the offensive coordinator, taking a bit off Dak Prescott’s plate and putting it back on his own is tantamount so that games like Sunday’s don’t happen again.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Man if you been rooting for this team for over a quarter century and don’t understand the politics in play for this franchise I don’t what to to sell you…

it’s frustrating, it’s wrongs but more importantly it’s prevalent and there in this franchise. That why I want a Belicheck like person running the franchise but that person and the top of this franchise jsut wouldn’t coexist. Belicheck plays the pieces that give him a chance to win. He don’t give a fukk what you don’t for him Last week.

Martellus Bennett, was more dynamic than Jason Witten, but never got a chance in Dallas. Byron Jones was forced to play safety instead of his natural position at corner because they didn't want to offend, Brandon Carr..

I get it. But just because it's normal for this team, doesn't make it right.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin

I still put this on Dak. He's running the offense. This is something he should've brought to Moore's attention a long time ago. When Cooper first came to Dallas, he pointed out how the routes didn't make any sense. For some reason, he stopped doing that. The players needed to speak up.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pass protection has been fine. Dak is rarely under duress. Run blocking is ass.
:gucci:
It seems more people are coming around that Dak is mixed Kirk Cousins like I’ve been saying. Hope his fans that are hyping him for non football reasons aka he’s black starting to see the light now. Duke is who he is an average qb that fantasy football dudes love
You're either racist or a c00n to keep pushing this....a WHITE front office is paying him his contract. WHITE front offices determine his worth based on his production. Fact is, there are about 3 qb's that produce more than dak and he is paid accordingly. You can't name a single "average" qb that routinely puts up the numbers dak does. And no, cousins does not.:gucci:

Box Factory

hater
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
$60 million of cap to Dak and Zeke next year:picard:

You had a 1 year window and did what you always do (choke)

Meanwhile, The Eagles have 3 1st round picks and Wentz $30 mil coming off the cap. Sometimes you just have to know when to cut your losses and rebuild on the fly

If WFT gets a Qb. theyre better than you next year too

You guys are gonna see more important players going out than coming in this year. Team is hamstringed by those 2 awful contracts and its about to be dark days. I mean its been dark days for 26 years but its about to get uglier

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
$60 million of cap to Dak and Zeke next year:picard:

You had a 1 year window and did what you always do (choke)

Meanwhile, The Eagles have 3 1st round picks and Wentz $30 mil coming off the cap. Sometimes you just have to know when to cut your losses and rebuild on the fly

If WFT gets a Qb. theyre better than you next year too

You guys are gonna see more important players going out than coming in this year. Team is hamstringed by those 2 awful contracts and its about to be dark days. I mean its been dark days for 26 years but its about to get uglier
Cowboys will run this division for the next couple seasons but we don’t give a fukk about that. Hurts ain’t scaring nobody and Redskins ain’t getting. I competent qb and giants are stuck with Jones. I’m not worried about nfc East. Hurts is price rite Dak and Dak ain’t shyt

R.U.L.E.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Maven/MPire Records
Cowboys will run this division for the next couple seasons but we don’t give a fukk about that. Hurts ain’t scaring nobody and Redskins ain’t getting. I competent qb and giants are stuck with Jones. I’m not worried about nfc East. Hurts is price rite Dak and Dak ain’t shyt

dont respond to him. It’s what he wants. He seeks attention. He suffers from “little brother” syndrome. He’s from Canada and most Canadians suffer from this as well.

On a side note, hoping they have caribana this year so I can take some more of their women :mjlit:

Box Factory

hater
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
You actually believe this don't you

You're taking a massive nosedive next year. You have no assets, reached your potential and failed. You're gonna be dumping important players this offseason and running Dak and Zeke back. It's gonna get real ugly

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
Anyone else notice how Digg's steadily declined as the season progressed. It's almost as if those interceptions were a curse instead of a gift. Instead of playing with sound technique, he started taking too many chances and freelancing, just to try to get interceptions. The Patriots game, stands out because how many times do you see a corner get a pick 6, and on the very next play give up a long TD pass.

Box Factory

hater
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
dont respond to him. It’s what he wants. He seeks attention. He suffers from “little brother” syndrome. He’s from Canada and most Canadians suffer from this as well.

On a side note, hoping they have caribana this year so I can take some more of their women :mjlit:
"Little brother" :dead:

You're a bottom 3 franchise in terms of success over the last 26 years

:dead:

The delusion you guys suffer from is incredible