Han Solo: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread] (2018)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Ron Howard is.... a director. A good one but he don't have much of his own style. He's a guy that will give the studio what they want which is a very safe, by-the-numbers blockbuster which will neither be great/classic/different or completely terrible.

So expect a solid movie but nothing mindblowing.

Lord and Miller could have made a true classic. That's off the table now. You're going to get a solid little blockbuster and nothing more.

I think that's too much discredit to Howard, breh. He has his hits and his misses, and he's certainly a very traditional director, but he got enough classics to his name that you can't count him out. I'm mostly interested in this choice because Howard has never done a movie of this scale, it will be interesting to see what he'll do with it.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ron is a stabilizing choice but not interesting. The whole point of these spin off stories was to show different flavors of the universe or at least I thought. Ron Howard is fine. The last movie of his I really loved was frost/Nixon and even then it's very traditional but it lives on the strength of the performances and the script. He's a journeyman who's competent and knows how to embellish melodrama. But he's not the guy I'd hire for a Han Solo movie or anything "interesting"

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You got to think long and hard if you're a up and coming director who is creative about working with Lucasfilm. This is the 2nd or 3rd time they've meddled into a standalone film.

Well look. We've had this discussion on here before that producers wanting to be hands on with products they're spinning a lot of money on isn't anything new. It's been happening since Hollywood was a thing. It used to be produced driven entirely. Then directors got more power in the 70s and 80s but even then you had to be a specific type of director to get that leeway. With studios seemingly only in the blockbuster business now expect a lot more producers with their hands in the creative process because they're expensive and the studios have more at stake than philly

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
He dropped Rush in 2013. I wouldn't say 4 years is a long ass time but if you look for the next one you have to skip all the way back to 2008's Frost/Nixon. :patrice:
Rush was a good film? Since when. I watched it on hbo,forgot it 5 minutes after it was over. Yeah it wasn't terrible or anything but good? Nah.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Ron is a stabilizing choice but not interesting. The whole point of these spin off stories was to show different flavors of the universe or at least I thought. Ron Howard is fine. The last movie of his I really loved was frost/Nixon and even then it's very traditional but it lives on the strength of the performances and the script. He's a journeyman who's competent and knows how to embellish melodrama. But he's not the guy I'd hire for a Han Solo movie or anything "interesting"

Exactly.

You get Ron Howard to do the Ewoks origin movie not fukking Han Solo

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Exactly.

You get Ron Howard to do the Ewoks origin movie not fukking Han Solo

Exxxactly lol. And I already seen an ewok movie. Have no desire to see that shyt ever again in life. Now Spielberg or one of the cats who did John wick or Coogler or James wan. Those are the names I'd like to see attached to Han Solo if they decided months ago not to go with lord and miller.

Speaking of Spielberg how long is it before he directs one of these

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Rush was a good film? Since when. I watched it on hbo,forgot it 5 minutes after it was over. Yeah it wasn't terrible or anything but good? Nah.

It is a good film. I'm not sure why there's a problem with Howard's directing style. Him and Eastwood are the last of a dying breed of traditional filmmakers and there's nothing wrong with that.:manny:

Again, I'm not sure if I'd go with him for a Star Wars movie but then again I wouldn't have gone with JJ Abrams or Rian Johnson either.:hubie: