Haitian color caste system

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I have supported Haiti throughout the whole DR ordeal. However, I am starting wonder if Haitians are much better than Dominicans when it comes to classifying their population according to complexion. The little I read about Haiti and the demographics there does seem to be a caste system that pushes the darker skinned populace to the fringes of society and the lighter ones to a better life. Can Haitians on the coli explain this more?
This is true in most places that didn't adhere to the one drop rule :mjpls:

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
when has that ever worked?

You can use almost anywhere that was once colonized as a rough example.

For instance, before the Spanish or the UK colonised Jamaica there really wasn't an established government as we've come to understand it. These colonizing countries set up a system, etc. Once the countries grew strong enough and felt autonomous they rebelled and got their independence.

But the colonization period would be good for stability. The new nation has a government set up and an economy and they can build on that

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
This is true in most places that didn't adhere to the one drop rule :mjpls:

The one drop rule is not a solution either. The solution is to have blacks work on their development (economic/social/etc...). What's the point of having a bunch of mixed race people call themselves black of they still detain economy power and choose to marry other "light skinned blacks? There wass a study in the us that said that the lighter you are the nore opportunities you have because you look closer to white.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Everyone wants to discuss the failures of Haiti, and a caste system, without discussing the effects of White supremacy or knowing the FULL history Haiti. Haiti would be better off as a colony? You serious?
Of course white supremacy is the cause of it...but I stayed clear of that conversation because that would have deviated into something else which is not the purpose of this thread. However, if you want to talk about white supremacy and how it's affected Haiti...be my guest.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’

For instance, before the Spanish or the UK colonised Jamaica there really wasn't an established government as we've come to understand it. These colonizing countries set up a system, etc. Once the countries grew strong enough and felt autonomous they rebelled and got their independence.

But the colonization period would be good for stability. The new nation has a government set up and an economy and they can build on that
Onec Haiti got its independence, it was ready to become its own sovereign nation. Being the sole Black country, The Western World wasn't having it. Haiti since its inception, wasn't given the respect it deserved, and couldn't establish its self on a world stage, in a world that saw Blacks as inferior. Trade, Commerce, etc are all essential to a countries economy. Who was gonna view or respect Haiti enough to establish any sort of trade and commerce connections with what was essentially the revolted slave colony? Haiti had to fend off the French, the Spaniards, and the Dutch, like it was a hot girl at a Frat Party.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Onec Haiti got its independence, it was ready to become its own sovereign nation. Being the sole Black country, The Western World wasn't having it. Haiti since its inception, wasn't given the respect it deserved, and couldn't establish its self on a world stage, in a world that saw Blacks as inferior. Trade, Commerce, etc are all essential to a countries economy. Who was gonna view or respect Haiti enough to establish any sort of trade and commerce connections with what was essentially the revolted slave colony? Haiti had to fend off the French, the Spaniards, and the Dutch, like it was a hot girl at a Frat Party.

I dig that but I was talking more recently. After the 1915 US occupation recently. At that point more nations were obviously willing to work with Haiti, US included.

An editorial in the Haitian newspaper just said the following:

Haiti cannot continue the momentum of the last few decades with governments that do not succeed in any field and businessmen who simply pick up their ball as fast as they can and go invest elsewhere.

link for the Haitian brehs to better translate it

The government and the elite in the country have as much to do with its condition as anyone else. All the Haitians in America gotta register to vote and start re-investing over there.

Y'all the most educated Haitians around, tbh.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

Go read up on the Taino kingdoms on Jamaica before you say some dumb shyt like that

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
I dig that but I was talking more recently. After the 1915 US occupation recently. At that point more nations were obviously willing to work with Haiti, US included.

An editorial in the Haitian newspaper just said the following:

The government and the elite in the country have as much to do with its condition as anyone else. All the Haitians in America gotta register to vote and start re-investing over there.

Y'all the most educated Haitians around, tbh.
I think its the effect of disconnect...when parents immigrate to a western country their children are used to a certain level of security that isn't found in most black countries. The simple things that we take for granted here in tge west means jumping many hoops and unnecessary paperwork because there is not an efficient system in place.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Go read up on the Taino kingdoms on Jamaica before you say some dumb shyt like that

I get what you're saying. Of course there was a civilization before it.

But what would you suggest?

They can be totally left to their own accord, they can come up with their own government and economic systems..maybe some locally controlled tribal system with no central government would be to their liking...

or, a group of economically and politically stable countries could "colonize" it, get it up and running and increase the standard of living of the people...

the system rocking right now sure ain't working..

• Dap
Reactions: Yup

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life

Where do you live @Dip you seem unnecessarily hostile? In Haiti?

I respect that you have Haitian background so you feel like I or anyone writing about Haiti is throwing it under the bus. But every government deserves a fair dose of criticism on where they are failing. It's not in anyway disregarding the uphill battle that Haiti has had to endure. But I am sure you can agree that not holding a government accountable for their actions or inaction is just as deadly as not acknowledging the Western agenda against the first black colony to rebel and defeat its colonisers in the western hemisphere.

If you can't engage and defend your arguments with civility even if you disagree or think that subject is beneath you then leave this thread.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
The one drop rule is not a solution either. The solution is to have blacks work on their development (economic/social/etc...). What's the point of having a bunch of mixed race people call themselves black of they still detain economy power and choose to marry other "light skinned blacks? There wass a study in the us that said that the lighter you are the nore opportunities you have because you look closer to white.

Isnt the bolded true in every country with a large black population where we aren't indigenous? Its even true in South Africa.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Isnt the bolded true in every country with a large black population where we aren't indigenous? Its even true in South Africa.

Of course...that's my point. Multiracial people being classified black is not a solution in my point of view...it's a bandaid on a deep welt.

However in South Africa, blacks are classified separately from colorored and there are black targeting programs that serve to provide black south africans with opportunities in new south african. However, I am disappointed that the chinese were included in the black classification...recently.

Last edited: