Haitian Appreciation Thread

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Yes but "neg" doesnt necessarily have the negative connotations that americans associte with "n!gga" or "n!gger"

I was talking to my Haitian cousins from NYC they are 100% Haitian and speak Creole (not great) and they get called blanc

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I was talking to my Haitian cousins from NYC they are 100% Haitian and speak Creole (not great) and they get called blanc
From a haitian perspective, if you are not haitian born in Haiti you are technically white for all we care

As for "neg". Mullatos and other ethnicities can say "sa se neg pa'm" about a black person and it's very welcome just as a black person would say it about a non black.

Do that here and you have a serious problem. Race issues in the U.S. is a far more sensitive subject than it is there. It always amazes me how black Americans see racism in everything but then again with this country's history you cant really fault them for it. These poor people been through a lot and this country owes them a huge debt that will probably never be repaid.

Daps

Thats why you gotta work on your creole. I worked on mines and I developed my parents creole accent- the Cap-Haitian accent:youngsabo:

I talk to natives and theyre like you from O'Cap?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
From a haitian perspective, if you are not haitian born in Haiti you are technically white for all we care

As for "neg". Mullatos and other ethnicities can say "sa se neg pa'm" about a black person and it's very welcome just as a black person would say it about a non black.

Do that here and you have a serious problem. Race issues in the U.S. is a far more sensitive subject than it is there. It always amazes me how black Americans see racism in everything but then again with this country's history you cant really fault them for it. These poor people been through a lot and this country owes them a huge debt that will probably never be repaid.

this whole nation is built of white supremacy and racism

Thats why you gotta work on your creole. I worked on mines and I developed my parents creole accent- the Cap-Haitian accent:youngsabo:

i don't know no Creole lol, my mom speaks it tho since my grandma from is from Haiti (Miragoane to be exact)

when i went there it felt like the motherland :wow:

concise

Veteran
Daps
I still don't get how you can speak no creole if your parents still speak it. :mindblown: I'm sure you can, at the very least, do imitations of some of their most used phrases.
Start from there.

Daps
this whole nation is built of white supremacy and racism

i don't know no Creole lol, my mom speaks it tho since my grandma from is from Haiti (Miragoane to be exact)

when i went there it felt like the motherland :wow:

oh so youre 2nd generation?

Daps
I still don't get how you can speak no creole if your parents still speak it. :mindblown: I'm sure you can, at the very least, do imitations of some of their most used phrases.
Start from there.

Thats the problem with alot of Haitian Americans. They can understand it, cause thats what their parents speak, but they respond in English so they never learn how to speak it.

For my generation around the Wyclef era when breh made it cool to stunt with your flag did brehs take more pride in it and start learning it.

I perfected mine by only speaking to my parents in creole. Now my speech is fluent:win:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Sa se Kin nam

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Sa se Kin nam
them cats kiil me with that sh!t.

My cousin'ss husband is from Aux-Cap. I speak kreyol better than most but i still struggle with some of the words he uses. :russ:

Daps

My cousin'ss husband is from Aux-Cap. I speak kreyol better than most but i still struggle with some of the words he uses. :russ:

My creole is skraight I just gotta get with the slang. When I get deeep in conversation with family from Haiti is when I get all insecure:unsure: and realize my vocabulary isnt as wide as a true native.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

My mothers is from Port Margot and my father is from La Plain in Croix des Bouguets. So my mothers side has the accent hard, even though she got rid of it.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
My creole is skraight I just gotta get with the slang. When I get deeep in conversation with family from Haiti is when I get all insecure:unsure: and realize my vocabulary isnt as wide as a true native.
I lived in Haiti until i was 15 or 16 so i'm a native.

When i'm in Haiti i find myself sometimes struggling with the youngins because Kreyol, like every language, is always changing. But thats mostly with young folks. But when i talk to the other adults im cool

Daps
I lived in Haiti until i was 15 or 16 so i'm a native.

When i'm in Haiti i find myself sometimes struggling with the youngins because Kreyol, like every language, is always changing. But thats mostly with young folks. But when i talk to the other adults im cool

So your english accent heavy then:steven: