Haitian Appreciation Thread

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I lived in Haiti until i was 15 or 16 so i'm a native.

When i'm in Haiti i find myself sometimes struggling with the youngins because Kreyol, like every language, is always changing. But thats mostly with young folks. But when i talk to the other adults im cool

I actually get more nervous around adults than I do around younger people.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
My mothers is from Port Margot and my father is from La Plain in Croix des Bouguets. So my mothers side has the accent hard, even though she got rid of it.
My momd is from Aux-Cayes and my pops is from Camp Perrin. Land of the St. Anne fete Champetre festival. :dj2:

So your english accent heavy then:steven:
Actually no. You wont detect much english accent in my creole. You will, however,detect an accent when i speak english tho. Most people i meet be like " you have a weird accent. Where is it from?" The one thing that happens is when discussing topics like careers, politics and stuff there are few kreyol words im not familiar with since at the age i would have used these words i was already living here.

A few members on this site speak to me on the phone all the time. I'm sure they can tell you that

Ice Water

Nothing
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can speak, and understand creole, but can't spell it worth a damn. Anyone with kids in here? I got lil kids, and barely speak creole to them. Do you guys speak it to your kids? They are only 5, and 2, but I feel like I'm lettin them down some how by not teaching them.

Daps
My momd is from Aux-Cayes and my pops is from Camp Perrin. Land of the St. Anne fete Champetre festival. :dj2:

Actually no. You wont detect much english accent in my creole. You will, however,detect an accent when i speak english tho. Most people i meet be like " you have a weird accent. Where is it from?" The one thing that happens is when discussing topics like careers, politics and stuff there are few kreyol words im not familiar with since at the age i would have used these words i was already living here.

A few members on this site speak to me on the phone all the time. I'm sure they can tell you that

Yeah thats what I meant.

As far as english though, do you feel you know the language through and through?

Like even if i heard some english slang from wherever, I catch on really quick to what it means, obviously cause I am US born. But for you a good portion of your development was in Haiti.

As for my english accent in creole its gone, but when I get all self conscious talking to adults i dont know, it rears its head a bit.

BTW Both my parents are from Trou-du-Nord, in o'Cap.

Daps
I can speak, and understand creole, but can't spell it worth a damn. Anyone with kids in here? I got lil kids, and barely speak creole to them. Do you guys speak it to your kids? They are only 5, and 2, but I feel like I'm lettin them down some how by not teaching them.

Theres no official way to spell. People just spell how it sounds. Theres habits/widely accepted ways to spell once you see alot of people write it.

But breh, dont let your kids get washed into american culture. Make sure they know their roots and where they come from because its a rich one, and that always starts with the language.

Ice Water

Nothing
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Theres no official way to spell. People just spell how it sounds. Theres habits/widely accepted ways to spell once you see alot of people write it.

But breh, dont let your kids get washed into american culture. Make sure they know their roots and where they come from because its a rich one, and that always starts with the language.

That's true...

Lord Scion

Quality Games
Supporter
Daps
My Kreyol is meh at best, but that's what happens when you have one Haitian parent who only speaks it when on the phone or around family who lives hundreds of miles away in either in Florida or New York.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
:to: The Haitian culture in my family line will pretty much end next generation, if I don't find a Haitian broad.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
:to: The Haitian culture in my family line will pretty much end next generation, if I don't find a Haitian broad.
THe Haitian chicks i meet here are too americanized :to:. They be fine as fukk but
  • Their kreyol is "okay" at best
  • Speak no french whatsoever
  • And dont even get me started on how they can put a "diri ak djonjon" together
  • They think Haitian Music started with Zin and Zenglen and only know "konpa" as the only genre of music. These brawds never heard of folklor legends like Carolle Demesmin... Damn shame
These brawds be throwing "haitian" parties and dont make bannann peze. :dahell: I know Dessalines and Capois are rolleing in their graves :to:

Last edited:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love

NOT TRUE

They have been teaching kreyol in a lot of schools in Haiti for decades and thats including the prominent schools too. There are correct spellings. Just because you see the incorrect spelling so often doesnt mean there isnt a correct one.

Even right here in Miami, you can take a kreyol class and learn the correct spellings. I know because my uncle teaches it at Miami Dade College.

Daps
THe Haitian chicks i meet here are too americanized :to:. They be fine as fukk but
  • Their kreyol is "okay" at best
  • Speak no french whatsoever
  • And dont even get me started on how they can put a "diri ak djonjon" together
  • They think Haitian Music started with Zin and Zenglen and only know "konpa" as the only genre of music. These brawds never heard of folklor legends like Carolle Demesmin... Damn shame
These brawds be throwing "haitian" parties and dont make bannann peze. :dahell: I know Dessalines and Capois are rolleing in their graves :to:

But you have to be real here. They grow up in the U.S. and there is a lack of true haitian culture here for the youth. America is what they know, so America is what they gravitiate to.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Naw.. we don't fukk w Haitians.

I appreciate the slave revolt and lending money history....

But their culture bumps heads w Jamaicans and regular nikkas where im from.

Daps
NOT TRUE

They have been teaching kreyol in a lot of schools in Haiti for decades and thats including the prominent schools too. There are correct spellings. Just because you see the incorrect spelling so often doesnt mean there isnt a correct one.

Even right here in Miami, you can take a kreyol class and learn the correct spellings. I know because my uncle teaches it at Miami Dade College.

im talking socially, and socially im not seeing it breh.

There was a way I used to write it that i believe was official but everybody else types im a more simplistic way un-uniform that im not going to attribute to just slang:yeshrug:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
im talking socially, and socially im not seeing it breh.

There was a way I used to write it that i believe was official but everybody else types im a more simplistic way un-uniform th
at im not going to attribute to just slang:yeshrug:
And how is that different from English?

We pell its when it really should be It's and we spell doesnt when it's really doesn't and i can go on and on with various examples.

Same sh!t goes for spanish and french from speaking to my friends who speak those languages.