Gov. to send the National Guard to help secure NYC subways

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Legitimately curious...let's say the NG actually witness a crime about to go down...do they have the legal authority to make an arrest? Or is their presence strictly deterrence based?

it's security theater, don't expect them to do anything.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
It’s an election year.

There's a problem when a person can get arrested 17 times and be released. We can't blame this on republicans either, because democrats control NYS politics with an iron first.

3cDFVVl.png

i didn't know what you were referencing with "arrested 17 times and be released", so i looked it up.

snippet:
Hutcherson, who also uses the name Esteban Estonia Asues, has been arrested at least 17 times over the last two decades — and the subject of more than a half dozen domestic violence complaints by a Manhattan woman he has allegedly stalked for over a year, according to sources.

Mental health treatment options were discussed with Hutcherson’s public defender and the judge, the rep said, but “Ultimately, through counsel, Mr. Hutcherson declined mental health programming and the transfer of his cases to the misdemeanor mental health treatment court.”

they don't list all the reasons he was arrested for but it's obvious he has mental health issues and this this occurred over a time span when both parties were in power. nyc may be "liberal" but for the majority of my life i've known Albany to be the one to obstruct good policy from being adopted by the state. this guy has had run-ins with the law probably since he was a juvenile and never got the resources to to treat his mental health issues as early as possible and naturally his behavior escalated to what we're dealing with presently.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
So fixing the economy is gonna stop some idiots from assaulting people of subways??
:what:
Not the sole answer but one of the answers to the problem. Most of the assaults are from mentally ill homeless people, and more resources for them could help.

The other percentage is from men that are just plain evil.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Nah, that's one of the standard deflections in threads about crime and public safety.

The final straw that likely pushed through this announcement was the Black MTA conductor being slashed in the neck and almost murdered a few days ago. Most people in this metro area saw/heard about that story. And MTA brass making public plea for the city to protect them as that had been the latest in a series of attacks.

"The economy" ? Yeah, right.
How is that a deflection, a better economy reduces crime and there is data to back it up :dahell: .

Quality of life is one of the things directly associated with crime rate.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
How is that a deflection, a better economy reduces crime and there is data to back it up :dahell: .

Quality of life is one of the things directly associated with crime rate.
In threads about tactics to address crime in that city, the mayor has earmarked funding to provide resources for people to route them out of lawlessness and in to productive lives.
And he talks about directing them to social safety nets, job training, etc
Like here

In the last clip I posted, he talked to Good Day New York about directing people with mental health struggles to facilities and treatment

There's a segment out there who aren't looking for work, and not struggling with mental illness."Improving the economy" will not stop them from victimizing other people, and we both know it. That segment might be bigger than you imagine it is, was my point.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
In threads about tactics to address crime in that city, the mayor has earmarked funding to provide resources for people to route them out of lawlessness and in to productive lives.
And he talks about directing them to social safety nets, job training, etc
Like here

In the last clip I posted, he talked to Good Day New York about directing people with mental health struggles to facilities and treatment

There's a segment out there who aren't looking for work, and not struggling with mental illness."Improving the economy" will not stop them from victimizing other people, and we both know it. That segment might be bigger than you imagine it is, was my point.

what funding are you referring to? how much?

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Breh, respectively do you live in NYC or rise the subways daily?

Because the workers & daily commuters will tell you otherwise.
If you do searches you'll see that bnew is part of the progressive propaganda machine

Its why he just referenced road rage violence, because that's part of the lexicon they use to deflect and demonize cars and driving, while also deflecting from what goes on in the trains.

Go ahead....use the search function and peep his threads

Y'all think NAP is a shill??? HA

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
They got money for war and guns not for peace and food to feed the kids

bnew

Veteran
Daps
If you do searches you'll see that bnew is part of the progressive propaganda machine

Its why he just referenced road rage violence, because that's part of the lexicon they use to deflect and demonize cars and driving, while also deflecting from what goes on in the trains.

Go ahead....use the search function and peep his threads

Y'all think NAP is a shill??? HA

what sort of violence should I have compared it to? :jbhmm:

advocating for more/better public transportation and traffic calming measures equals progressive propaganda now?
2JqMm1y.png

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
The city's subways have been the focus of most New Yorkers' crime anxieties, but according to the MTA, overall crime is down on the rails, although felony assaults have seen a slight jump.

"The subway has a daily ridership of approximately 3.2 million and bus has a daily ridership of 1.4 million, representing 58% and 63%, respectively, of pre-pandemic ridership levels."

it's bad but it's literally fearmongering. it's still the safest public transportation system in the U.S. people are more likely to die in a road rage shooting than on a NYC subway. a lot of these random attacks are committed by people with mental health issues and i fail to see how the national guard is the solution to addressing that.

Crime has decreased rather consistently but the pro police crowd doesn't like data, they instead prefer narratives and anecdotal evidence.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
Dude felt something was wrong but still went through. They let Maria go though :mjpls:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
A lot of the people that get arrested in the subway have multiple priors, active warrants or both.

In fact, it actually boggles my mind when people with warrants hop the turnstile.

You are literally giving the police a reason to stop you and once you resist, oh look at this, wanted for assault or on the run for some previous charge.

You called it. 24 hours after announcing more cops/soldiers monitoring the subways PUBLICLY.....fare beaters are stopped by cops and three dudes have warrants and get booked,

Last edited: