Google Glass....proof that Ray Kurzweil's prediction are all coming true

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
These things are more than 100 years out (at the least)....direct brain implants interfacing with computers? LOL..I'll pass niccas aint about to spearfish me and turn my brain into some malware command & control server

Most of these things are not only 100 years or more out, but in 1999 most of that shyt that he predicted that has "come true" was common sense or shyt that was already in R&D.

These.

Not saying this shyt can't happen but his timeline is wayyyyyy off. Ppl don't realize how long it actually takes for this shyt to go from an ideal to a reality. Its only a limited amount of genius level nikkas/corporations out there with limited time and resources to actually even START to work on these type of things. I don't think it'll be 100 years but at least 50 for each higher level of difficulty.

I'm actually optimistic because I think our demonic behavior is the result of two things. Environmental pressures and genetic defects. By 2045 we should have a strong grasp on genetic disorders and we should be able to correct for them so dudes like the guy who did the Aurora shootings don't exist. On the issue of environmental pressures, I think if we give people utopia they won't commit evil acts.

Imagine if you could get anything you wanted. Food, entertainment, women, etc. With fully immerse virtual reality like the Matrix being as widespread as a $100 laptop by 2045, almost everyone will be able to live out whatever fantasy they want. I'm not worried about demonic behavior because minus genetic defects I don't see people commits evil acts minus the environmental pressures.

Anything that good will be expensive as all hell for a long while, if it ever came down in price at all. You underestimate corporate greed.

Altho i did like the little augmented reality video. Google glass is a fad...or maybe more like a stepping stone....towards augmented reality thru implants which i do think is the future along with enhanced enviros. Having stuff to wear and potentially break or lose is NOT very futuriffic in my mind.

Especially with the enhanced enviros I envision more along the lines of the scenes like in Minority Report where Tom Cruises character walks past the video ads and they come alive to speak directly to him using his name. Also the holographic info wall in the Time Machine(the last one with Samantha Mumba in it) where Orlando Jones was the holograph. Imagine that stuff only with more immersion and vast amounts of info. Thats the kind of stuff that will usher in a more futuristic world because with nothing to buy it becomes accessible and usable for everyone, not just the rich or well employed.

Superstar
Daps
brehs with gun's have been deleting consciousness for years

Yeah, but that's not as simple as hitting "delete." You have to be in the proximity of another person to do that, and even then he may run away or survive the shot.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
First of all, many of his 1999 predictions about 2009 were considered radical. Do you even remember what computers and the internet were like in 1999? Remember dial-up? Do you even remember what cell phones looked like? We came a long way in 10 years. The computer in your pocket is more poweful that the most powerful supercomputer in 1996 and is thousands of times smaller. That is CRAZY!!! In addition, most people thought driverless cars were total science fiction and decades away just a few years ago let alone in 1999. Its easy to say that current technology was foreseeable when you are experiencing it right now. I'd love to have seen you say that in 1999.

And on the topic of R&D, I've already stated that brain/computer inferface technology is already being researched in the lab. Brain computer interfaces will definitely be common by the mid-2020s considering its already possible right now. Quadriplegics and certain people who don't mind having computer chips surgically implanted into their brain are capable of communicating to computers right now simply by thinking. The only reason this isn't common is because it can only be done surgically right now. However, in 15 years, when nanotechnology is more advanced, the use of brain computer inferences will be more widespread.

Instead of requiring surgery, the brain-computer interface can be inserted non-invasively through the use of small robotic nanobots that attach to the brain. And yes, blood cell sized nanobots are already being used in labs right now. The tech is at its infancy but should mature by the mid-2020s when it hits the market. The brain interface software should also improve. Right now people can only move the mouse or robotic arms with their mind. Thats because only simply brain waves can be interpreted resulting in only simple commands to the computer. To allow for more sophisticated controls, there will need to be more study into the brain and how it works. And we're lucky on that front as well because the European Union just announced nearly $2 billion toward mapping the human brain.
Again dude, everything that exists now was the natural and logical progression of most things.

- Most books will be read on screens rather than paper. (iPad, Kindle)
- People use personal computers the size of rings, pins, credit cards and books. (smartphones are about the size of credit cards and tablets are the size of books; though rings and pins is overstating it)
- Cables are disappearing. Computer peripheries use wireless communication. (4G WiFi)
- People can talk to their computer to give commands. (Siri, Google Voice)
- Computer displays built into eyeglasses for augmented reality are used. (Google Glass)

1. There were patents for what is commonly known as an "e-book" as far back as the 70's. Not to mention by the late 80's, they were already in use, just not in a commercial sense. The commercial aspects came by the 90's and mostly in educational or technical aspects cause they were still kind of expensive then, relatively speaking.

2. Computers have been shrinking in size just about every decade. It was not far fetched at all to think that they would be the size of credit cards at all.

3. We have had cell phone technology for quite some time and again, every decade or so it has become more advance. It was not far fetched at all to think that radio communications could advance to the point where we could receive high speed data connections in 2009 when in 2002 when I was a freshmen in college, wireless cards were already on the rise.

4. Much of this already existed by 2002 let alone 2009...again, natural progression

5. If I am not mistaken the army was using this shyt by 2000. I know this cause around 2003 when I started taking my first MIS classes, we had to do a whole section of our presentation around it and a big part of it was the fact that we technically already see it in shyt like football games or when they used to have the hockey puck laser around so people could keep track of it. The glasses shyt was in very very early stages then, in the military as I said before, as well as in medical fields.

Realistically speaking, in 1999 most people could see that information tech and tech in general was moving at an alarming rate and that because of competition, it was only gonna progress.

You could hop on Engadget today and peep the patents that drop every couple of weeks and predict shifts in technology just like this guy did...and anyone that calls you "radical" would be as silly as those people who called him radical in 1999.

Don't be surprised when this quantum computing shyt drops in a few years, we been talking about it since they started popping out quad core PCS and how far back was that? 5? Maybe 7 years?

Liquid is not wrong about DDL becoming the de facto in the future, the question is when? Remember unless companies can properly monetize the shyt and capitalize off of it, it will take much longer than it has to...

MaccabeanRebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The outer limits

Conz

Superstar
Daps
half of me is fascinated, half of me wants no part of this technology

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even then, different people process the same experiences in different ways. Say something like abortion, or stealing food when you're poor and hungry. If we ever get to this point, who is going to decide which coded views are legitimized and allowed to be copied and repasted for eternity?

Who is going to be able to afford these privileges in the first place since these things are clearly going to make so many more jobs obsolete? If we get to the point when those who are currently building them and those who are currently in whatever top percentage can currently afford it, use this as a means to permanently soldify their place as dominating those who can't afford it and spread their ideologies by their reinforced power, who does this really benefit?

Listen bro. Alot of your concerns are kinda stupid. Just look at current technology as a guide.

At first, only one person will get their brain fully mapped but a decade later, costs will fall so that everyone can get their brain mapped along with their individual brain pattern. Remember the human genome project. It took 13 years and over $3 billion for just one person to have their genome sequenced. Today, you can have your entire genome sequenced for $1,000 in one day. That is how much technology changes in 20 years. In 20 years, the cost of mapping your brain should be the same as getting your genome today which means that it'll be widespread and accessible to most people.

Technology follows the same track every time. When it first comes, its expensive and not that good. A few years later when its no longer expensive it becomes really good. Just look at cell phones. They were expensive, bulky, and not that good in the 90s and only the rich could afford them. Now they are small, inexpensive, and really good and almost anyone can afford them. Your concerns about capitalism are valid. We'll have to outgrow our juvenile nature if we are to survive as a species.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Again dude, everything that exists now was the natural and logical progression of most things.

1. There were patents for what is commonly known as an "e-book" as far back as the 70's. Not to mention by the late 80's, they were already in use, just not in a commercial sense. The commercial aspects came by the 90's and mostly in educational or technical aspects cause they were still kind of expensive then, relatively speaking.

2. Computers have been shrinking in size just about every decade. It was not far fetched at all to think that they would be the size of credit cards at all.

3. We have had cell phone technology for quite some time and again, every decade or so it has become more advance. It was not far fetched at all to think that radio communications could advance to the point where we could receive high speed data connections in 2009 when in 2002 when I was a freshmen in college, wireless cards were already on the rise.

4. Much of this already existed by 2002 let alone 2009...again, natural progression

5. If I am not mistaken the army was using this shyt by 2000. I know this cause around 2003 when I started taking my first MIS classes, we had to do a whole section of our presentation around it and a big part of it was the fact that we technically already see it in shyt like football games or when they used to have the hockey puck laser around so people could keep track of it. The glasses shyt was in very very early stages then, in the military as I said before, as well as in medical fields.

Realistically speaking, in 1999 most people could see that information tech and tech in general was moving at an alarming rate and that because of competition, it was only gonna progress.

You could hop on Engadget today and peep the patents that drop every couple of weeks and predict shifts in technology just like this guy did...and anyone that calls you "radical" would be as silly as those people who called him radical in 1999.

Don't be surprised when this quantum computing shyt drops in a few years, we been talking about it since they started popping out quad core PCS and how far back was that? 5? Maybe 7 years?

Liquid is not wrong about DDL becoming the de facto in the future, the question is when? Remember unless companies can properly monetize the shyt and capitalize off of it, it will take much longer than it has to...
Swagnificent doesn't understand natural progression. Don't bother

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anything that good will be expensive as all hell for a long while, if it ever came down in price at all. You underestimate corporate greed.

No. I think you are the one who underestimates corporate greed. The way to get super rich as a company is to make a product that can be bought by most people and for that to happen it has to be affordable. Once again. Just look at cell phones. Look how much they have advanced and how they still cost the same as those ancient phones of the past.

There is no doubt that full immersion virtual reality will be expensive at first. We'll have sufficient computing technology by the mid-2020s. Its just that no one will mass market it because it'll be too expensive until a decade or so later. Just look at how video games have evolved. This is simply going down the line on that tech.

Oculus Rift is dropping next year which will be the original Macintosh personal computer for virtual reality. Give that 20 years and you'll get something super nice like the Matrix. People are already blown away by how immersive it is even without all the senses and less than photorealistic graphics. I think we also need to get advances in AI so that the virtual people in the simulation can be believable. Super nice graphics are nothing if the AI doesn't match. By 2035, all of these factors should come together to make something very believable like in the Matrix.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

And so is full immersion virtual reality and brain computer interfaces. Like I said, the only real questionable prediction for the 2040s is mind uploading which depends on the assumption that consciousness is just a result of computation in the brain and can be done on a non-biological substrate. The other 2 major predictions are already lab tested and in human trials. Its simply a question of the technology progressing and getting cheaper now.

The 2030-2040 predictions that people are tripping about are made from the same assumptions as his 2010-2020 predictions. The only difference is he realizes what exponential growth means. 10 years of exponential growth leads to a 1,000 fold increase in computing technology. Like you said that can reasonably be grasped by the human mind. By how can we conceive a TRILLION fold increase which is how much computing technology will increase in the next 30 years.

What is possible when you have a $1,000 laptop in 2043 that is 1 TRILLION times more powerful than your laptop today. That is why the predictions seem radical. We think intuitively that 30 years from now progress will be the same as the last 30 years and we extrapolate linearly. We can't grasp that the next 30 years will actually be leading to a trillion fold advance in computers thanks to exponential increases.

Just imagine what would be possible on a laptop a trillion times more powerful and thousands of times smaller than the one you are using right now? Now you see why full immersion virtual reality and brain computer interfaces aren't so radical. When computers get the size of cells while being millions of times more powerful than todays most advanced supercomputers gives you an idea of why he's saying what he says.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Poor fakkits really think immortality will be affordable in our lifetime. You gonna die.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Poor fakkits really think immortality will be affordable in our lifetime. You gonna die.

We might die at any time but natural causes won't killing people at age 80 anymore. Medical technology will continue to progress so that people can start living into their hundreds in a healthy fashion. We've already doubled life expectancy since 1900 when it was 40 something years old in America.

Imagine what sort of medical tech will be available in 2100. That is why people think immortality is possible. Not that those of us alive right now won't die. I could get hit by a truck tomorrow. But that if you can keep hanging on for the next 100 years, so much amazing technology will be available that immortality will be possible for at least some people who are currently alive.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
We might die at any time but natural causes won't killing people at age 80 anymore. Medical technology will continue to progress so that people can start living into their hundreds in a healthy fashion. We've already doubled life expectancy since 1900 when it was 40 something years old in America.

Imagine what sort of medical tech will be available in 2100. That is why people think immortality is possible. Not that those of us alive right now won't die. I could get hit by a truck tomorrow. But that if you can keep hanging on for the next 100 years, so much amazing technology will be available that immortality will be possible for at least some people who are currently alive.

12129734-standard.jpg
- Have fun with that :flabbynsick:

I know its scary holmes but its ineveitable, one day you gonna be, :flabbynsick:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
12129734-standard.jpg
- Have fun with that :flabbynsick:

I know its scary holmes but its ineveitable, one day you gonna be, :flabbynsick:

true

But what if mind-uploading actually becomes possible in 2100? Then I could just get my consciousness placed inside a super advanced robotic body that never ages and is perfect in every way. Or maybe by 2100 aging can be reversed and I can go back to my biological 25 year old self? Or even if none of these happen, I'd gladly live to be 150 years old if I can spend most of my time in Virtual Reality like the Matrix where I can be anyone and have any experience based on getting electrical signals to my brain.

Even in a worst case scenario where aging can't be reversed and mind uploading is not possible in 2100, I would still want to live because I'll take that over death. Stop believing death is something that is noble. The only reason our species has accepted it is because we couldn't do anything about it for the last 100,000 years. However, now technology is progressing to the point we might soon be able to slow it down substantially and maybe even stop it. Who wouldn't want that?

Don't let religious dogma cloud your reasoning abilities. There is nothing good about death.

Allah

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Listen bro. Alot of your concerns are kinda stupid. Just look at current technology as a guide.

At first, only one person will get their brain fully mapped but a decade later, costs will fall so that everyone can get their brain mapped along with their individual brain pattern. Remember the human genome project. It took 13 years and over $3 billion for just one person to have their genome sequenced. Today, you can have your entire genome sequenced for $1,000 in one day. That is how much technology changes in 20 years. In 20 years, the cost of mapping your brain should be the same as getting your genome today which means that it'll be widespread and accessible to most people.

Technology follows the same track every time. When it first comes, its expensive and not that good. A few years later when its no longer expensive it becomes really good. Just look at cell phones. They were expensive, bulky, and not that good in the 90s and only the rich could afford them. Now they are small, inexpensive, and really good and almost anyone can afford them. Your concerns about capitalism are valid. We'll have to outgrow our juvenile nature if we are to survive as a species.

There are plenty of people who cant afford to have their genome mapped today. Its only cheap relative to how expensive it used to be