Google Glass....proof that Ray Kurzweil's prediction are all coming true

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Listen bro. The brain is an organ just like the heart. Instead of pumping blood, it send electro-chemical signals that tell the rest of the body what to do. Its not mystical or magical. Its an organic machine that can be replaced by another machine that does the same job.

There are already people living right now that have had computer chips inserted in their brains that allow them to move robotic arms and computer mouses. If we replace one of your neurons with a nanobot that does the same job but is made from silicon rather than carbon, are you the same person?

At what point do you change if we are simply replacing your neurons one by one. Neurons die all the time based on a myraid of factors. Yet I'm sure you won't claim that you are no longer you because one neuron is changed. Why does it change if we replace your organic carbon brain with inorganic silicon that does the same job?

You cannot exist without your brain. You can only be replicated. If nanobots replicate each one of your neurons into some inorganic brain while you're still alive and you see yourself walking around like hey, Swagnificent, its me, im you....

are you prepared to die at that point?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You will exist as a nanoswarm. A variable-density swarm of nanobots networked together to form your consciousness. Theoretically, a very large percentage of the nanobots would have to be destroyed to do damage to your consciousness.

Just like it would take a large percentage of your neurons to get damaged for your consciousness to go out.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You cannot exist without your brain. You can only be replicated. If nanobots replicate each one of your neurons into some inorganic brain while you're still alive and you see yourself walking around like hey, Swagnificent, its me, im you....

are you prepared to die at that point?

First of all, we don't know what would happen if the nanobots replicated all of my neurons into an inorganic brain. Remember that what makes us unique is not just the wiring of our brains but also how/when/what signals are sent between the neurons. And if the nanobots were able to synch that perfectly, then I don't know what would happen at that point.

Maybe my consciousness would split in half at that point and occupy both bodies? No one really knows because that experiment hasn't been done yet. Thats why I suggested replacing the organic brain progressively so that there is no split in consciousness. Then once the brain is 100% inorganic, I don't have to worry about the problem regarding the clone.

You are just mistaken by assuming that an exact copy of my brain (down to each neuron, synapse, and electro-chemical signal) would result in another person. It could still be me occupying both places at the same time.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
First of all, we don't know what would happen if the nanobots replicated all of my neurons into an inorganic brain. Remember that what makes us unique is not just the wiring of our brains but also how/when/what signals are sent between the neurons. And if the nanobots were able to synch that perfectly, then I don't know what would happen at that point.

Maybe my consciousness would split in half at that point and occupy both bodies? No one really knows because that experiment hasn't been done yet. Thats why I suggested replacing the organic brain progressively so that there is no split in consciousness. Then once the brain is 100% inorganic, I don't have to worry about the problem regarding the clone.

You are just mistaken by assuming that an exact copy of my brain (down to each neuron, synapse, and electro-chemical signal) would result in another person. It could still be me occupying both places at the same time.
So you think in your mind you'd be seeing 2 places at once just because you were replicated down to every atom/cell/synapse? Can we agree that this is a dream in your mind?

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
:hmm:Tampering with people's Brain Waves, Brain Manipulation. It simply raises too many Questions.

tumblr_m2idmcRFMl1r7nappo1_500.gif

tumblr_lvt91o2ILA1qgegg1o1_500.gif

:youngsabo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vagina Thief

Your mother has nuts
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Imagine replacing one brain cell with a synthetic cell that contains the exact same information as the cell it replaced. That would still be you, right?

If so, how many non-organic cells does it take before it stops being you? What if you replaced every cell with a synthetic copy, is that different than replacing 1, 10, or 1000 cells?

If you allow that your mind can exist on something other than a 100% organic brain, it seems to follow that it can exist on a 100% inorganic medium

I read somewhere that the human body completely replaces every cell it has. some shyt about how the body you have now is completely different from the one you had when you were a child. every cell has been replaced..but you're still you right? :win:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
So you think in your mind you'd be seeing 2 places at once just because you were replicated down to every atom/cell/synapse? Can we agree that this is a dream in your mind?

I didn't say that would happen. I only put it out there as a possibility. If the information theory of reality is true then the most fundamental aspect of reality is information. Thus if every atom/cell/synapse is copied perfectly then once the power button is turned on I think its possible that the consciousnesses could merge. Or its possible they don't and a copy is created. Or its never possible to actually get every atom/cell/synapse copied perfectly.

All I'm saying is that its an open question. We don't know what would happen. That is why its important we run the experiment.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I read somewhere that the human body completely replaces every cell it has. some shyt about how the body you have now is completely different from the one you had when you were a child. every cell has been replaced..but you're still you right? :win:

which is why I think we are fundamentally just the information contained by our brain rather than being the cells doing the computation

PYRRHUS 88

Shredder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Realistic Coop Replica

Exactly.

You could say that you're only "you" at any given moment because you have all the memories of being "you". Like, when I wake up from being asleep, I only know I'm me because I remember being me. Consciousness doesn't form a continuum, but as long as we have memories of being ourselves then we feel like the same conscious being, even though there are gaps in between.

Therefore, if all of the information in your brain was transferred to some inorganic medium, that thing would feel the same way you do when you wake up. It would have all the memories associated with being "you", including the memory of thinking about this, the memory of thining "I hope this downloading shyt works works.." and so on. So when it "awakens", it would swear it was still you, in the same way you would swear you're the same person that went to sleep when you wake up.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
half of me is fascinated, half of me wants no part of this technology

Yes. Exactly. This thin line is getting thinner and thinner...........................

See this thread... http://www.the-coli.com/arcadium/97063-google-glass-banned-seattle-dive-bar.html

Most of these things are not only 100 years or more out, but in 1999 most of that shyt that he predicted that has "come true" was common sense or shyt that was already in R&D.

I would surmise it was already in the R&D..............

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hey I agree its nickpicking but that was the most negative thing I could say

even his most flawed prediction was only off by how ubiquitous it would be

driverless cars are not mainstream yet and he said they would be mainstream

this goes to show that mind uploading might be possible by 2040 but probably won't be widely used for another 5-10 years

lets take it a step further. audi can park itself. no really, it can drive itself thru a parking lot and park on is on, then come pick you up when you ask it to via your cell phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly.

You could say that you're only "you" at any given moment because you have all the memories of being "you". Like, when I wake up from being asleep, I only know I'm me because I remember being me. Consciousness doesn't form a continuum, but as long as we have memories of being ourselves then we feel like the same conscious being, even though there are gaps in between.

Therefore, if all of the information in your brain was transferred to some inorganic medium, that thing would feel the same way you do when you wake up. It would have all the memories associated with being "you", including the memory of thinking about this, the memory of thining "I hope this downloading shyt works works.." and so on. So when it "awakens", it would swear it was still you, in the same way you would swear you're the same person that went to sleep when you wake up.

Exactly. We are simply the information contained in the brain. If having your mind uploaded into another substrate makes you into a different person then each time you go to sleep, you wake up as another person who has the memories and personality of the person who went to sleep the night before.