God Of War: Ragnarok (Nov. 9th, 2022) (PS4/PS5) (Valhalla DLC out 12/12/2023)

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Welp, I left the crater last night.

I shouldn't have. :mjcry:

Even though I knew it was coming, Brok getting bodied was still a gut punch. At least he went out like a real one, though. He was on Odin's fukking neck about thinking he could just slide "Oh, I can get us to Asgard" out there like it was nothing.

Also, I ain't falling for the okie doke with trying to make Thor sympathetic near the end. That Thor Pack is still finna get lit all the fukking way up.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Welp, I left the crater last night.

I shouldn't have. :mjcry:

Even though I knew it was coming, Brok getting bodied was still a gut punch. At least he went out like a real one, though. He was on Odin's fukking neck about thinking he could just slide "Oh, I can get us to Asgard" out there like it was nothing.

Also, I ain't falling for the okie doke with trying to make Thor sympathetic near the end. That Thor Pack is still finna get lit all the fukking way up.
Low key Thor's Arc mirrored Kratos's own arc. Except he never developed the courage to stand up to his father until the end.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Low key Thor's Arc mirrored Kratos's own arc. Except he never developed the courage to stand up to his father until the end.

True. If I were to criticize it, it's definitely a case of writing an antagonist in service of making the the protagonist look better.

The stretch with the squad heading to Helheim, back to Svartelfheim, and dealing with Heimdall in Vanaheim gets a little heavy handed out of the blue with essentially positioning Kratos as an addict (with his addiction being violence/killing Gods) edging dangerously close to a relapse. Thor completely mirrors Kratos' situation, even down to the inciting incident for his relapse centering around the need to protect his family.

It just sucks that all of this is playing out in the span of one game, especially one where Thor and his family don't really get enough screen time to support how conflicted the player is supposed to feel about his situation. But I also feel like at least thus far, the game has been written so that there are plenty of opportunities for other characters and parallel stories to be expounded upon later, whether it's San Diego, or someone else.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
True. If I were to criticize it, it's definitely a case of writing an antagonist in service of making the the protagonist look better.

The stretch with the squad heading to Helheim, back to Svartelfheim, and dealing with Heimdall in Vanaheim gets a little heavy handed out of the blue with essentially positioning Kratos as an addict (with his addiction being violence/killing Gods) edging dangerously close to a relapse. Thor completely mirrors Kratos' situation, even down to the inciting incident for his relapse centering around the need to protect his family.

It just sucks that all of this is playing out in the span of one game, especially one where Thor and his family don't really get enough screen time to support how conflicted the player is supposed to feel about his situation. But I also feel like at least thus far, the game has been written so that there are plenty of opportunities for other characters and parallel stories to be expounded upon later, whether it's San Diego, or someone else.

they def could have made the game a trilogy but i feel like that would have came with its own problems, of stretching the story more thin. Another 30 hours game about ragnarok would have definitely been pushing it especially to just highlight more of the dysfunction around Aesir (i would have enjoyed it but people already complain about the pacing/slowness) and other realms.

Its hard to do trilogies when games take so long to make. Its the problem with Horizon you wait so long for a game and then it leaves you with a cliffhanger that will have you forget most of the plot points by the time the third game is out in another 4-5 years.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they def could have made the game a trilogy but i feel like that would have came with its own problems, of stretching the story more thin. Another 30 hours game about ragnarok would have definitely been pushing it especially to just highlight more of the dysfunction around Aesir (i would have enjoyed it but people already complain about the pacing/slowness) and other realms.

Its hard to do trilogies when games take so long to make. Its the problem with Horizon you wait so long for a game and then it leaves you with a cliffhanger that will have you forget most of the plot points by the time the third game is out in another 4-5 years.

Working with what they ended up putting out, if they wanted to, the breakpoint would've been when Atreus comes back from Asgard the first time. The Asgardians get more meaningful screen time to become sympathetic characters, Kratos and Freya don't have to set their dispute aside so quickly, and Heimdall gets to be established as even more of a threat, to the point where it makes the prospect of beating Asgardians who might be more dangerous seem even more daunting. Harm gets to be the final boss, and the revelation that there are a bunch of realm tears is the cliffhanger.

Third game makes the journey to complete the mask, free Freyr, and unite the realms against Odin the central plot points, making the third game the only one that's actually about Ragnarok.

But I can also understand just deciding to do two games, though. Assuming it would be another four years between games, that'd be 12-13 years working on the same shyt. I'd just like to have seen there be content that earns the reaction the game wants for Thor.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Working with what they ended up putting out, if they wanted to, the breakpoint would've been when Atreus comes back from Asgard the first time. The Asgardians get more meaningful screen time to become sympathetic characters, Kratos and Freya don't have to set their dispute aside so quickly, and Heimdall gets to be established as even more of a threat, to the point where it makes the prospect of beating Asgardians who might be more dangerous seem even more daunting. Harm gets to be the final boss, and the revelation that there are a bunch of realm tears is the cliffhanger.

Third game makes the journey to complete the mask, free Freyr, and unite the realms against Odin the central plot points, making the third game the only one that's actually about Ragnarok.

But I can also understand just deciding to do two games, though. Assuming it would be another four years between games, that'd be 12-13 years working on the same shyt. I'd just like to have seen there be content that earns the reaction the game wants for Thor.

yeah, i agree with you for the most part. The only thing is like you said, forcing a large part of the studio into just making this one god of war story for like 15 years would be a bad move. I’m excited to see what else they can do, they had their other game cancelled last gen, a team as talented as this should be creating more stuff.