Gilbert Arenas is trending for going Xenophobic on Team USA vs South Sudan

Budda

Superstar
Daps
If he said this in a different context about Europeans or the Japanese national team the reaction would be different. When it's a black man dissing fellow black men the excuses pile up.

Same ones saying "he's just joking and trolling" don't understand when you joke in public you give others from different races/ethnicities the opportunity to move the bar of disrespect via "joking". He was so ignorant he had no idea Embid is from Cameroon a country completely different than South Sudan.

It’s funny because his cousins(Embiid)are more likely to be from America or Cuba than South Sudan

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, Gilbert is a clown and all, but some of y’all take shyt way too damn serious. Simmer down.

TDUBB

All Star
Daps
They didn’t look that great against Germany either. Overall Team USA hasn’t looked that impressive. Seems like they’ve been squeaking by or just doing enough to win game by game.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, Gilbert is a clown and all, but some of y’all take shyt way too damn serious. Simmer down.

Don’t tell somebody else how serious to take shyt

Is that how you’d feel if Fox News made monkey sounds, or had folk speaking in mock ‘hood’ talk? Of course not. Yall would be on here crying your eyes out.

Representation matters. And the fact their representation doesn’t register to you as mattering, is your blind spot. It’s oddly enough the type of unawareness that’s attributed to a child. The things Gil is saying are literally things black Americans say to Africans in grade school

But ffwd when Africans are doing better in life than you then it’s ’they look down on us :damn: ‘. :beli:

Daps
Yeah call that shyt out. I fukk with Gil sometimes but he's ignorant af on shyt like this
Gil is Cuban.

He sounds like a Spaniard with that casual anti-African racism. Probably goes to soccer games in his motherland (Spain) and throws bananas at the African players.

Why would Embiid wanna help South Sudan?

Is Mbappe secretly helping the Germans and English beat team France?

Are LeBron and Steph running drills with team Canada?

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I laughed at the Embid line, but yeah he went too far with it.

A comedian could maybe get these jokes off but Gil just sounds dumb here :smh:
About the comedian bit...

True but with respect to the craft of comedy - especially stand up - these type of jokes would be such low hanging fruit that it would come off extremely amateur.
Like the overused "Hey so I was on my tourist shyt walking through time square and...you know...you know what I noticed between black people and white people?":beli: A decade ago, it could still sound fresh but nobody is moving up in stand up with that type of material.

I don't think we are disagreeing, by the way. I just wanted to expound on the comedian aspect because it was a good point to bring up.