Gilbert Arenas is trending for going Xenophobic on Team USA vs South Sudan

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
I’m African and it was funny but ignorant at the same time.

Funny cause he dating Melli Monaco and I think she like French African or something

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
About the comedian bit...

True but with respect to the craft of comedy - especially stand up - these type of jokes would be such low hanging fruit that it would come off extremely amateur.
Like the overused "Hey so I was on my tourist shyt walking through time square and...you know...you know what I noticed between black people and white people?":beli: A decade ago, it could still sound fresh but nobody is moving up in stand up with that type of material.

I don't think we are disagreeing, by the way. I just wanted to expound on the comedian aspect because it was a good point to bring up.
agreed.

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
If he said this in a different context about Europeans or the Japanese national team the reaction would be different. When it's a black man dissing fellow black men the excuses pile up.

Same ones saying "he's just joking and trolling" don't understand when you joke in public you give others from different races/ethnicities the opportunity to move the bar of disrespect via "joking". He was so ignorant he had no idea Embid is from Cameroon a country completely different than South Sudan.
No he wasn’t ignorant he was clearly joking cuz they all African lmao

The coil just be on selective outrage shyt

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don’t tell somebody else how serious to take shyt

Is that how you’d feel if Fox News made monkey sounds, or had folk speaking in mock ‘hood’ talk? Of course not. Yall would be on here crying your eyes out.

Representation matters. And the fact their representation doesn’t register to you as mattering, is your blind spot. It’s oddly enough the type of unawareness that’s attributed to a child. The things Gil is saying are literally things black Americans say to Africans in grade school

But ffwd when Africans are doing better in life than you then it’s ’they look down on us :damn: ‘. :beli:
Shut up nigguh.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Don’t tell somebody else how serious to take shyt

Is that how you’d feel if Fox News made monkey sounds, or had folk speaking in mock ‘hood’ talk? Of course not. Yall would be on here crying your eyes out.

Representation matters. And the fact their representation doesn’t register to you as mattering, is your blind spot. It’s oddly enough the type of unawareness that’s attributed to a child. The things Gil is saying are literally things black Americans say to Africans in grade school

But ffwd when Africans are doing better in life than you then it’s ’they look down on us :damn: ‘. :beli:

Gil is not FBA/ADOS stop pinning this shyt on us.