Ghana leaders apologize to the Caribbean and the diaspora for selling us into slavery.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
ghanaian folk keep it cool*

This was a great watch:

Have you read "Lose Your Mother: A Journey Along the Atlantic Slave Route" by Saidiya Hartman? It's about Ghana.

85683.jpg

“DON’T LIE when you go back home. Everyone goes home and tells lies.” It was the only thing John ever asked of me. I didn’t promise him that I would tell the truth. Nearly two months in Ghana had already made the truth too difficult. Telling the truth risked fueling the racism that could see Africa only through the Kurtzian lens of horror, warring tribes, filth, pestilence, famine, and AIDS.

Telling the truth risked savaging the dreams of those who might never travel to Africa but still imagined soil on which they would be embraced. Telling the truth risked sullying the love of romantics who kissed the ground as soon as they landed in mother Africa, not caring that it was the tarmac of the airport. “We have to stop bullshytting about Africa. The naïveté that allows folks to believe they are returning home or entering paradise when they come here has to be destroyed,” John said. I nodded in silent agreement. It was as far as I could commit myself.

I finished "Lose Your Mother: A Journey Along the Atlantic Slave Route" by Saidiya Hartman and I encourage all DOS to read this phenomenal book.

Saidiya Hartman’s story of retracing the routes of the Atlantic slave trade in Ghana is an original, thought-provoking meditation on the corrosive legacy of slavery from the 16th century to the present and a welcome illustration of the powers of innovative scholarship to help us better understand how history shapes identity. But the book is also — this must be stressed — splendidly written, driven by this writer’s prodigious narrative gifts. She combines a novelist’s eye for telling detail (“My appearance confirmed it: I was the proverbial outsider. Who else sported vinyl in the tropics?”) with the blunt, self-aware voice (“On the really bad days, I felt like a monster in a cage with a sign warning: ‘Danger, snarling Negro. Keep away’ ”) of those young writers who have revived the American coming-of-age story into something more engaging and empathetic than the tales of redemption or of the exemplary life well lived, patterned on Henry Adams, Benjamin Franklin and Frederick Douglass.

Hartman’s main focus in “Lose Your Mother” is shaking up our abstract, and therefore forgettable, appreciation for a tragedy wrought on countless nameless, faceless Africans. She makes us feel the horror of the African slave trade, by playing with our sense of scale, by measuring the immense destruction and displacement through its impact on vivid, imperfect, flesh-and-blood individuals — Hartman herself, the members of her immediate family she pushes away but mulls over, the Ghanaians she meets while doing her field work and the slaves whose lives she imaginatively reconstructs from the detritus of slavery’s records.

Her own journey begins in the stacks of the Yale library, where as a graduate student she came across a reference to her maternal great-great-grandmother in a volume of slave testimony from Alabama. Her excitement at finding a sign of her family’s past was undercut by her great-great- grandmother’s brief reply when asked what she remembered of being a slave: “Not a thing.” Hartman, while “crushed” to hear so little of her ancestor’s voice, turns negation into possibility, into all that can be communicated by such reticence: “I recognized that a host of good reasons explained my great-great-grandmother’s reluctance to talk about slavery with a white interviewer in Dixie in the age of Jim Crow.” Years later, after Hartman had begun work on this book, she returned to those interviews and could find no trace of the reference. She scoured the library for misshelved volumes, reread five surrounding volumes, reviewed her early notes but never found that paragraph imprinted in her memory, “the words filling less than half a page, the address on Clark Street, the remarks about her appearance, all of which where typed up by a machine in need of new ribbon.”

Photo
schm450.jpg

Elisabeth Van Eiyker, the author’s grandmother. CreditCourtesy Saidiya Hartman
Hartman’s desire to know about slavery is thwarted at every turn: by grandparents who refuse to talk about the subject, by parents and a brother who urge her to stop brooding about the past and get on with her life, by the Ghanaians she encounters who either avoid the topic of slavery entirely or make it into a generic tourist attraction, and above all, by the huge gaps she encounters in her archival work, as the vanishing act of her great-great-grandmother’s testimony illustrates. Hartman’s response to what she calls the “non-history” of the slave fuels her drive “to fill in the blank spaces of the historical record and to represent the lives of those deemed unworthy of remembering.”

Hartman, the author of “Scenes of Subjection: Terror, Slavery, and Self-Making in Nineteenth-Century America,” selects Ghana because it provides a vivid backdrop against which to understand how people with families, towns, religions and rich cultural lives lost all traces of identity. Ghana had “more dungeons, prisons and slave pens than any other country in West Africa,” she notes. “Nine slave routes traversed Ghana. In following the trail of captives from the hinterland to the Atlantic coast, I intend to retrace the process by which lives were destroyed and slaves born.” But Hartman, who “dreamed of living in Ghana” since college, is also interested in the country’s more recent centrality in the Pan-African movement since its independence in 1957, when the first president, Kwame Nkrumah, opened up the country to members of the African diaspora, creating a Ghana whose slogan was “Africa for Africans at home and abroad.”

In contemporary post-Nkrumah Ghana, Hartman confronts her own sense of pure Generation X despondency: “I had come to Ghana too late and with too few talents. I couldn’t electrify the country or construct a dam or build houses or clear a road or run a television station or design an urban water system or tend to the sick or improve the sanitation system or revitalize the economy or cancel the debt. No one had invited me. I was just ... about as indispensable as a heater in the tropics.”

No one will talk to her directly about slavery. It’s old news for those progress-minded people focusing on Ghana’s many current social and economic woes, and it’s too painful for others who want to avoid the collective guilt of remembering the ways Africans in the former Gold Coast facilitated the slave trade. As the Ghanaian poet Kofi Anyidoho says, “We knew we were giving away our people, we were giving them away for things.”

By the end of her stay in Africa, Hartman faces the fact that she hasn’t found “the signpost that pointed the way to those on the opposite shore of the Atlantic.” She has had to rely primarily on her imagination in reconstructing the lives of particular slaves. But just as she gleaned something in her great-great-grandmother’s refusal to engage, she hears something beyond “the story I had been trying to find” in a small, walled town in the interior, one of the few places where the slave raids had been resisted: “In Gwolu, it finally dawned on me that those who stayed behind,” the survivors of the slave trade, “told different stories than the children of the captives dragged across the sea.”

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
We've always been cool and welcoming to diaspora folks. Our women will give you a good time when you visit.:salute:
i get that cool caribbean vibe from ghanaian folk

seem to be a very fair people they keep it breezy with you as long as you bring the right energy

it's possible i got some roots going back there so that trip may have to happen for real for real

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I wish I could see if like that. But, I don't see them as victims. It was a well-oiled machine for a very long time - they knew they were selling people -- and they did indeed get something in return.

Sadly, they weren't good at trading people -- nor getting the highest value for selling other people. Selling people for mirrors and liquor is crazy.

And reparations from those African countries doesn't have to specifically be money. It can be a host of things. Land for one.
shyt, a large sanctioned sponsorship program for skilled workers, college students, certain types of investors, or something along those lines would change the entire discussion

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
if it was real then there'd be an effort made in work study/land/investment opportunities/remote work/etc/so forth. building a bridge between the separated

but like.... thanks i guess? :manny: doesn't really change shyt for anyone. better than nothing :manny:
Africans Americans are the richest in the African diapora. what's stopping AA's from making that connection? There was an article last week saying that AA's don't visit Africa like the other groups.

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
the lesson all humanity has to learn is that true wealth is in love for one another

we were the first

so that makes us the first to forget about love

so we can & should be the first to remember love

we could set the law for how all humanity moves

but i know it's unlikely & that hurts like i can't even say

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
shyt, a large sanctioned sponsorship program for skilled workers, college students, certain types of investors, or something along those lines would change the entire discussion
A number of things but the issue they run into is cost and America and Britain not wanting to let what they feel is their property to feel free. The other is obvious. Africans are still under the rule of the white supremacists. Nothing has really changed.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Africans Americans are the richest in the African diapora. what's stopping AA's from making that connection? There was an article last week saying that AA's don't visit Africa like the other groups.
Most AAs dont have the money and those that do, might or might not have the interest

Lweezy

Banned
Daps
What do you mean? So, if my 2nd Great Grandfather (white enslaver) raped my 2nd Great Grannie (slave) -- and he owned her -- you are saying that because I descend from him because he raped her -- that it's a difference?

I don't get what you are saying?

Most AADOS descend from slave owners -- not by choice -- our ancestors were raped. Most of our ancestors were enslaved -- not free or Free People of Color.

:comeon:... Only slaves should get reparations. If you are 51 percent DOSO as opposed to DOS then you dont get a penny. And not every DoS was raped. BM were pawging back then as well. Im tired kf mixed people lkke Carnell taking the awards and credit meant for blacks.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
lets not even start with that. that'll turn a discussion shytty real quick... they want to throw out the term apology then i'd like to see it carry the weight of one of that magnitude.

Starting from scratch, rebuilding a relationship, looking to move forward in the most positive way, and taking the initiative on putting that foot forward first - that's what outreach and a real apology on this kind of level looks like in my mind at least.