Get Out (2017)

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
I can't imagine how awkward it would be for BM-WW couples seeing this movie...
especially in a mostly black theater:russ:
why?
Isnt the maker of the movie married to a white chick?

My girl is white...and she is begging to see this shyt...
...we havent gone to the show since Avatar (because we were in Thailand and bored).

EffedUp

Pugs get lonely too...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cincinnati, OH
Finally saw this earlier with my niece and we both enjoyed it. :salute: to Peele for knocking it out the park his first go round.

One of my white co-workers wanted to get together and see this movie with some others (me ironically being the only black guy lol). Glad that fell through. shyt would've been mad uncomfortable for them. :pachaha:

I've practically read this whole thread and really need to see this movie again. I caught a lot of stuff initially but there's so much more going on. :wow:

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
IMO, the "Sunken place" is an allegory for how black people feel trapped in white supremacy. You can look at it literally in terms of blacks feeling stuck underneath the boot of white supremacy. Powerless. Like Chris was powerless to escape falling to the black pit looking up at white faces towering over him like giants. Or you can look at it like blacks who feel to prosper in a white dominated society they have to play down their blackness to appear safe to white people even though it means stifling and suppressing their true self. Selling out. Georgina, Andre and the Groundskeeper are Blacks who completely sold out and are just black faces that are hollowed out inside. Chris goes to them trying to find the common ground blacks do with other blacks in an unfamiliar environment only to find out that they weren't kindred spirits because they sold out already. He senses everything is off with Rose's family but, he continues to stay. After being disrespected by the party guests. After his boy Rod told him about other disappearances. After Rose's mom violated him. Even after seeing all those photos with Rose and other black men he was still refusing to leave. Like a c00n refusing to hear his wake up call. He was still trying to leave with the crazy bytch. Then he fell down into the Sunken Place for real. Just like a c00n in real life disregarding any and all wake up calls on some Sage Steele shyt and doubling down on his/her c00nery until they lost any shred of dignity they once had or any connection to their blackness whatsoever. Until they become the soulless creatures Georgina, Andre and the Groundskeep were. At the end, Chris "woke up" and fought his way out. But, he still couldn't bring himself to kill Rose. Maybe that was because his character was supposed to have loved her but, it could also be black men refusing to see white women as being culpable in their role in white supremacy. He killed the mother no doubt but, Rose is young and beautiful and delicate. So its harder to see her as the monster she was. Hell, that bytch was the one luring black men there for the most part. She was the most evil. She should've gotten stabbed with antlers or got her head stomped in. He should've strangled her ass to death but, he couldn't bring himself to harm the innocent white woman. And the evil bytch was smiling about it :wow: Rod was a real one.....stayed true and never needed to wake up because he was never sleeping in the first place. Or, trying to be someone he wasn't. Never stopped looking for his boy who had lost his way. Amazing film. And #pawglife definitely took some serious blows with this movie :wow:

Last edited:

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
why?
Isnt the maker of the movie married to a white chick?

My girl is white...and she is begging to see this shyt...
...we havent gone to the show since Avatar (because we were in Thailand and bored).
it could get awkward just off the fcat of how stupid cac's look/sound when trying to not sound racist and going out of their way to let them know they they like black people

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
man, what i really like about the movie was he didnt even notice that the white people was scoping him out n shyt
he just charged that shyt to the game of cac's being cacs

:mjlol: deadass had a "whats up with ya mans?" moment, but had nobody to ask

I can't stand Kyle Smith or the NY Post, but this part of his review had me dying
http://nypost.com/2017/02/22/liberalism-gets-a-gleeful-slashing-in-get-out/

Peele does expert work ratcheting up the strangeness so that it isn’t quite clear whether Chris should be terrified. In other words: Are these people freaks or are they just white?

:russ:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Was there any meaning to when Rod/TSA dude went to the police and it was an all black detective unit and they laughed him out of the room? I thought they would believe him cause he should've showed them that picture of dude that was kidnapped and missing from the start of the movie.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
Was there any meaning to when Rod/TSA dude went to the police and it was an all black detective unit and they laughed him out of the room? I thought they would believe him cause he should've showed them that picture of dude that was kidnapped and missing from the start of the movie.
nah
but im pretty sure someone wrote an over thought think piece about that tho

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
Amazing film no doubt, I wonder how peele found inspiration in creating something so deep being that he's married to a white woman.