Get Out (2017)

WMG the 2nd

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't. Just think that was a possible subtext that wasn"t seriously considered before it got removed during the writing process.
I don't think that remotely had anything to do what was going on
Only gay tones I got was maybe the son But he just seemed jealous of blacks genetic make up

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Classical conditioning - Wikipedia

The tapping of the glass in the first scene where the family was on the deck was an ode to Pavlov's Dog. That was the sound made to get at his insecurities.

Dog-whistle politics - Wikipedia

The inverse is what we refer to as"dog whistle politics" where Nazis speak a simple disguised language for others to "get on code".

This movie is crazy.
Back to my first thoughts of the movie, this was about trying to keep in control of black people.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Comment I found in the Deadspin article :ohhh:
One of the most interesting pieces of conversation come from the desires of the blind man who “purchased” Chris at auction. He starts off their conversation by sharing how much he admired his work, how he failed at being a great artist bc he lacked “the eye” and how it took him to his current path - which, if you consider that he is at auction buying a human, left him pretty wealthy.

He still, however, does not have all that he desires despite his success. While you could take him wanting Chris’ body as wanting to restore his sight, if you dig deeper, he actually seeks to purchase his artistic “eye.”

This is very ironic because, even with Chris’s body, he would still fail to acquire Chris’ eye because that perspective comes as a part of Chris’s lived experience - his life as a black man, a young orphan, a child tormented by his own guilt bc he watched tv instead of looking for him mom, whom he could have possibly saved if he hadn’t been paralyzed by fear and ignoring the signs that something was wrong, etc.

This was a perfect commentary on black cultural appropriation. How those with wealth appropriate black culture and identity but are still unable to translate it authentically because it lacks the lived experience!

There was a hint that the people who enjoyed their new bodies were learning about some of the costs of blackness - the guy who was Dre stating that he much prefers to stay indoors - probably because of the harassment he faces in his new black body. There is just so much to this movie - so many nuances that bring up such larger conversations! I loved it!

WEKetchum

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yeah. It's why the grandfather was hostile. They naturally hate blacks. Everyone had back and white and red at the silent auction. German Neo Nazi colors.

They allude to it when Chris is
Talking to Logan and his wife runs up and hands him a red scarf and he says ah yes this is what I'm missing. He had on white but no red to symbolize nazi Germany.

No, it was an attack on liberals - if anything, it was a display that these were liberals who unwittingly had that mentality. The family kept talking about black history, said they voted for Obama twice (and would have a third time!), etc. They were obsessed with black bodies/gifts/coolness, and wanted those things for themselves without valuing the actual black lives. That's much closer to the type of racism that comes from white liberalism. Plus, if the Coagula maintained their plan, their community would have eventually all black bodies, which is pretty much the anti-Nazi approach lol. Nazis are all about white purity

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
Peele did say in an interview that his next movie could very well be within the same universe as Get Out. Maybe not a direct sequel, but probably the same type of thing that Tarantino does with his films all being linked together.

How is Taratino films linked