Get Out (2017)

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Holy shyt! I'm not even a horror movie watcher but to support #blackexcellence, I'll find my way to a theater and support. Finally, someone besides Spike making a movie that I can leave the theater and be proud a fellow black man made instead of those c00ntastic adventures that Tyler Perry puts out religiously that I actively avoid. Props to Jordan Peele on this shyt.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
instead of those c00ntastic adventures that Tyler Perry puts out religiously that I actively avoid. Props to Jordan Peele on this shyt.

:russ: My parents were watching a Tyler Perry movie when I :martin: and said I was going to see Get Out.

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
: even when you want to get out they try to pull you back in by any means. When you mentioned by tv: love and hip hop & real housewives & bad girls club & black ink crew.... (some i watch) but after realizing it dumbs you down I stopped watching them.

And when ur under their control you are being dumbed down (and may not even realize it) because it may not be white ppl on the shows acting foolish but they're on white owned networks. Ultimately, white people have control of our (not all of us) minds

This movie is gonna have me looking at people a different way. You can't let them control your mind. When they get your mind it's a wrap. A mind is truly a terrible thing to waste.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Really liked it, the trailer is so revealing, that there wasn't much left to reveal, besides a few minor details. When the brother started talking MMA and genetics, I knew what the overall plan was. As an empathetic horror/thriller/suspense fan, I wish it was a little sharper, and played a little more straight, a little more tense, for most of the film's acts. The deer scene was great, as was the cold open, and the opening moments with the parents, which were all covered in the trailer, which isn't the movie's fault......"how long has this....this....thang....been going on?" I do think it could a little too broad and near parody, stepping over from satire, in the last half, but I throughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

*I thought Rod's character got a little too close to stereotypes, more then once. Maybe on purpose?
* A lot of scenes seemed cut from the trailers
*One of the 'twists' wasn't surprising, mostly due to the trailer, again, and some of the information given to the viewer.

Last edited:

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
What I wanna know is, is Chris still slightly hypnotized somehow? Like if he ever hears another spoon in a teapcup will he revert? Is he still not smoking ever again?

That's EXACTLY what I thought!!! He can still slip under by hearing the clang of a spoon. It leaves a window open to continue because there is still an entire family of 'breeders' running around in their inner circle. Although they can't continue to snatch up men and put them under for an ultimate lobotomy/ brain swap can they get to Chris and bring him back? He can't walk with plugged ears forever

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I felt the same way about the blind guy. He showed Chris empathy and Chris felt bad for him because he was blind and they both shared the connection of photography. It built a level of trust. I also thought it was interesting the blind guy told him later in the movie "I don't know why they like black people..." That was a great moment because there are people out there who know things are fukked up, but they would rather figure out how to take advantage of the situation instead of helping to fix the problem.

I mentioned in another thread that the film industry is going through a change that actually is of benefit to black films. Many of the vanity projects and typical blockbusters out of Hollywood are flopping. What we are left with is horror/thrillers that are consistent as well as black films. Black people are still going to the theater and this movie was a combination of a horror/thriller that also appeals to blacks. Hollywood in many ways has no choice but to put out a film that will make money. That includes movies that wouldn't of been greenlighted years ago.

If you watch Jason Blum's (producer of this film) interview from SXSW, he mentions he likes finding completed scripts that writers can't get made. Peele mentioned that Blum came to him. Jason Blum prob recognized this movie would have great potential, but the rest of Hollywood were sitting on their hands. For $5 million, this was a great risk to take for Blumhouse.

Yeah, Hollywood needs films like this to thrive.

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
The thing that got me the most irritated was when the guest were sizing Chris up like he was in an action block!! I was in the reclining seat and sat my shyt up like
HellNo.gif

They were even asking questions *lightbulb* to see what his intellect was... i need to repeat to myself at work that this is just a movie but it's so real too... this shyt is really happening( I hope not to this extent) but we are being programmed. We got to wake up.

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
So how much money did Windows make off product placements?? And what kind of camera was Chris using a Canon?? I haven't seen a movie in ages without a iPhone or Galaxy.... Windows thought smart investing.
Lol that was one of the things I noticed immediately. I was like "so none of these people have a S7 Edge or a 7 Plus?" :mjlol:

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Lol that was one of the things I noticed immediately. I was like "so none of these people have a S7 Edge or a 7 Plus?" :mjlol:

Breh, I didn't even know Windows still made phones!!! :laff:Both companies looking at the weekend profit & the buzz going off the movie like :beli: who was the dikkhead that suggested to pass on this movie??

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Really liked it, the trailer is so revealing, that there wasn't much left to reveal, besides a few minor details. When the brother started talking MMA and genetics, I knew what the overall plan was. As an empathetic horror/thriller/suspense fan, I wish it was a little sharper, and played a little more straight, a little more tense, for most of the film's acts. The deer scene was great, as was the cold open, and the opening moments with the parents, which were all covered in the trailer, which isn't the movie's fault......"how long has this....this....thang....been going on?" I do think it could a little too broad and near parody, stepping over from satire, in the last half, but I throughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

*I thought Rod's character got a little too close to stereotypes, more then once. Maybe on purpose?
* A lot of scenes seemed cut from the trailers
*One of the 'twists' wasn't surprising, mostly due to the trailer, again, and some of the information given to the viewer.
*sighs*

Your criticisms scream trying too hard. Rodney Williams was a spot on character that every black person could relate to. He sounded exactly how my boys would sound and was great comic relief