Get Out (2017)

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
This movie was incredible and certified classic.

So many layers! Straight out the book of Hitchcock and Shyamalan.

I need to go see it again to peep the hidden dialogue a bit better.
Also most of yall miss, She didint shut the cop down to protect Chris rights, she did it so there would be no trace of him and her together. shyt is deeper than the surface.

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
I didn't even notice this until my girl mentioned it but.....

The closet door where the pictures were kept was always being left open and his phone was always unplugged. My theory was that the grandma in the black girl was unplugging the phone so he wouldn't be able to call anyone, but the original black girl's mind was always opening the door in order for him to eventually see the pics and discover the truth.

Just my theory though :jbhmm:

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Elaborate please

Early in the film Rose says Chris is her first black BF but she doesn't see why he shouldn't be any different

But when Chris wakes up in the middle of the night for his fresh air/smoke break, we see the couple asleep in what I presume to be her childhood bedroom, with one of her old stuffed animals: a lion.. The lion is not only one of Africa's "Big Five" animals that people think of when they think of the African Wilderness, but one with a secondary sexual characteristic which gives it a very masculine appearance and connotation (the mane)

So she grew up sleeping with this stuffed animal w/ its allusions to African Masculinity, and is now an adult with a living, breathing black man in her bed ... Having learned what sort of very cerebral man Jordan Peele is, I felt this could not be coincidence and that she would be in on the fukkery and probably on some Mandingo shyt

jadillac

Veteran
Daps

Also most of yall miss, She didint shut the cop down to protect Chris rights, she did it so there would be no trace of him and her together. shyt is deeper than the surface.
Damn:ohhh:

kareem929

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NJ/NC
The best thing about the cop car is
EVERYBODY knew if it was the cop from the beginning the cop would believe the girl and Chris would go to jail but when it was the homie it's was a collective sigh of relief and that shows no matter what ppl say we all know wussup when it come to cops and black ppl.

I thought it was going to end a different way when I saw those lights. :to:

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Early in the film Rose says Chris is her first black BF but she doesn't see why he shouldn't be any different

But when Chris wakes up in the middle of the night for his fresh air/smoke break, we see the couple asleep in what I presume to be her childhood bedroom, with one of her old stuffed animals: a lion.. The lion is not only one of Africa's "Big Five" animals that people think of when they think of the African Wilderness, but one with a secondary sexual characteristic which gives it a very masculine appearance and connotation (the mane)

So she grew up sleeping with this stuffed animal w/ its allusions to African Masculinity, and is now an adult with a living, breathing black man in her bed ... Having learned what sort of very cerebral man Jordan Peele is, I felt this could not be coincidence and that she would be in on the fukkery and probably on some Mandingo shyt

The Lion was also missing its eyes.

Remy LeBreh

Linconia
Daps
Reppin
CLB/CLE/ALB

Yeah low key I think that cop actually had suspicions of what was up in regards to nikkas disappearing, that's why he was adamant about the i.d.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Yeah this is a problem I have with trailers in general nowadays. There was that one trailer they showed before Get Out started starring Rosario Dawson and Katherine Heigel and it pretty much showed the entire plot from start to finish.

That said, Get Out is still worth watching just for the execution of the story.
Breh I created a thread on TLR, posted countless GIF's of this movie. Watched the trailer a number of times...
However, I swear I always cut it off after dude was saying "Get out" cause I just knew they were going to spoil some more shyt. Luckily I was at least surprised by a few things.

The closet door where the pictures were kept was always being left open and his phone was always unplugged. My theory was that the grandma in the black girl was unplugging the phone so he wouldn't be able to call anyone, but the original black girl's mind was always opening the door in order for him to eventually see the pics and discover the truth.

What I thought as well..which is why
he went back for her at the end..he knew she was fighting it.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Last edited:

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
Do you guys think this film could work with any other ethnicity/gender combination besides black male? I know the switching minds into bodies idea has been used before but would it just be a generic thriller it was just a white guy or Asian guy right?

Nope. White People and black People have a fukked up history that you can turn up stories into movies. I kinda want to write a fictional character that took place in 1921 Tulsa when black Wall Street went down. I doubt I'm that creative with writing..

Romey Rome

All Star
Daps
one thing I didn't get was, it seemed like all the white ppl at the "party" were hypnotized. Like when Chris came back in the house and went up stairs the entire party froze.

I really didn't understand what that meant n I'm hoping somebody can shed some light or have any type of theory on that.

Loved this shyt ..,

I kind of anticipated the twist w/Rose when I saw the stuffed lion in her bed... That symbolism :wow:

I dont understand the symbolism. Maybe African masculinity like the other Breh just said so maybe they've been training her to be into black masculinity since she was a kid ?

Very end spoiler
The very end was just an amazing takedown on white privilege.

In every other horror movie, the cops showing up at the end is a relief for the heroine who just survived the monster/killing machine. Cops in the horror movies represent a satisfying end to the horror, a feeling of safety and protection. But Peele turned the horror trope on it's face by having the cops showing up play out like yet another layer of horror for the audience.

There can be dead bodies everywhere and a white woman won't be shot or killed by the police when they arrive at the scene. But that can't be the ending of a movie where cops show up to a black man surrounded by dead bodies. We're living two different experiences, and even the most "post racial" white person in the audience would have to admit that they were expecting Chris to get his ass lit up when the cops showed up.

And while it would have made a poignant point had cops showed up and shot Chris as he stood with his hands up, I'm so glad Jordan said fukk that, and provided us with an image of black men helping each other and surviving. We didn't need to see another dead black man, he gave the audience laughs, horror, but then catharsis. And by giving the crowd pleasing moment, he actually subverted our expectations in both a clever and satisfying way. Masterful ending.

Yep.

This is exactly what I thought. Normally white ppl are quick to tell police what they can't do n black ppl are just trynna do what cops say to get on with their day. Had the guy refused it would've been a huge issue. Rose refusing makes it look like she'll stand up for him in the face of racial injustice but it was really just a cover up so there wouldn't be any record of him being up there.

If I remember correctly that same "closet" door in the room was open the first night when he got up to go take a smoke break.

There's a couple parts I wanna hear the brehs opinions on.

I heard there was only 3 songs that played during the whole movie. I assume that was on purpose. One was when the brother took Logan, the second was redbone (we alll understand that) and I guess the 3rd was the chanting type music towards the end. Can anybody post links to those songs or shed some light on the meanings ?

The scene of Georgina in the window looking at herself that night. What was that about. To him she was looking outside but it showed her looking at herself. Maybe the grandma inside her was admiring how pretty and youthful she was ?

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I really didn't understand what that meant n I'm hoping somebody can shed some light or have any type of theory on that.

I dont understand the symbolism. Maybe African masculinity like the other Breh just said so maybe they've been training her to be into black masculinity since she was a kid ?

Yep.

This is exactly what I thought. Normally white ppl are quick to tell police what they can't do n black ppl are just trynna do what cops say to get on with their day. Had the guy refused it would've been a huge issue. Rose refusing makes it look like she'll stand up for him in the face of racial injustice but it was really just a cover up so there wouldn't be any record of him being up there.

If I remember correctly that same "closet" door in the room was open the first night when he got up to go take a smoke break.

There's a couple parts I wanna hear the brehs opinions on.

I heard there was only 3 songs that played during the whole movie. I assume that was on purpose. One was when the brother took Logan, the second was redbone (we alll understand that) and I guess the 3rd was the chanting type music towards the end. Can anybody post links to those songs or shed some light on the meanings ?

The scene of Georgina in the window looking at herself that night. What was that about. To him she was looking outside but it showed her looking at herself. Maybe the grandma inside her was admiring how pretty and youthful she was ?

Yeah grandma couldnt get over how young and pretty she was[/spolier]