Get Out (2017)

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Do you guys think this film could work with any other ethnicity/gender combination besides black male? I know the switching minds into bodies idea has been used before but would it just be a generic thriller it was just a white guy or Asian guy right?

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
I felt the same way about the blind guy. He showed Chris empathy and Chris felt bad for him because he was blind and they both shared the connection of photography. It built a level of trust. I also thought it was interesting the blind guy told him later in the movie "I don't know why they like black people..." That was a great moment because there are people out there who know things are fukked up, but they would rather figure out how to take advantage of the situation instead of helping to fix the problem.

I mentioned in another thread that the film industry is going through a change that actually is of benefit to black films. Many of the vanity projects and typical blockbusters out of Hollywood are flopping. What we are left with is horror/thrillers that are consistent as well as black films. Black people are still going to the theater and this movie was a combination of a horror/thriller that also appeals to blacks. Hollywood in many ways has no choice but to put out a film that will make money. That includes movies that wouldn't of been greenlighted years ago.

If you watch Jason Blum's (producer of this film) interview from SXSW, he mentions he likes finding completed scripts that writers can't get made. Peele mentioned that Blum came to him. Jason Blum prob recognized this movie would have great potential, but the rest of Hollywood were sitting on their hands. For $5 million, this was a great risk to take for Blumhouse.

Well they cashing out right now :win:

This shyt already at $30 million

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
Peele's mother is White, even tho he himself looks fully black and has likely experienced life as a Black person. But given his mom, it's not surprising his wife is white.

I used to say this on here a few years ago and dudes would get mad at me saying, I'm "i shouldnt be telling tyler perry how to spend his money" But reality is, he needs to take a chance on some other Black writers/directors and make a different genre of film rather than just his typical safe stuff. This movie is 100% proof.

I was telling my cousin that too but, got hit with the same response. His brand is too connected with Black/Southern Christian themes and any deviation away from that may scare off his core base, because people expect certain kinds of movies from Tyler Perry Studios. And he's made millions off of it, so why mess that brand up? That's a typical branding issue. But because he does OWN a movie studio, why not just start another imprint so people wont associate it with TP and put out other films. He doesn't have to write them. No different than Columbia Pictures, 20th Century Fox or Paramount, just bankroll other filmmakers' films and put them in theaters.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Just got back from seeing this and enjoyed it :ehh:. Good to see Jordan Peele has a hit on his hands. Always wondered why there weren't more black horror films, because the barrier to entry is low in terms of money and you don't need big name stars. Just a good premise.

I forgot Lil Rel was in this, I remember seeing him on Last Comic Standing and other comic shows back in the day. He was really funny in this :ehh:

Maxine from Living Single still looking good :whoo:

Main dude did his thing as well, didn't overplay or oversell his role.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Do you guys think this film could work with any other ethnicity/gender combination besides black male? I know the switching minds into bodies idea has been used before but would it just be a generic thriller it was just a white guy or Asian guy right?

It definitely wouldn't have the racial aspect if you switched it up. Maybe you could subvert it and have black people switching with whites in order to infiltrate white society and play off the fears some whites have with their country being taken over. Or if you did it from a black female perspective, will the emphasis on traits black women are known for being desired. :yeshrug:

Romey Rome

All Star
Daps
i was like nooo at the ending seeing the flashing lights till it showed TSA
The best thing about the cop car is
EVERYBODY knew if it was the cop from the beginning the cop would believe the girl and Chris would go to jail but when it was the homie it's was a collective sigh of relief and that shows no matter what ppl say we all know wussup when it come to cops and black ppl.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
If I have any beef with this movie, it's that
I figured out in the first 5 mins that Georgina and the other Black guy had been hypnotized by the mother. I wish they could have stretched out keeping her profession a secret for a little white
That could be an issue if it were the entire plot/twist and everything, but it was basically a red herring.
Yeah I'm surprised nobody mentioned that.

I figured the entire shyt out within the first 30
Minutes.
:heh: You definitely did not.

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
My only gripe with this is the trailers showing too much.

I knew
the girlfriend was luring him there. It was obvious as fukk. She wasn't tryna escape with him in the previews at all
Yeah this is a problem I have with trailers in general nowadays. There was that one trailer they showed before Get Out started starring Rosario Dawson and Katherine Heigel and it pretty much showed the entire plot from start to finish.

That said, Get Out is still worth watching just for the execution of the story.

666 ReVeNGe 666

TROLL IS LIFE
Daps
Yeah this is a problem I have with trailers in general nowadays. There was that one trailer they showed before Get Out started starring Rosario Dawson and Katherine Heigel and it pretty much showed the entire plot from start to finish.

That said, Get Out is still worth watching just for the execution of the story.
Yeah that movie def is easy to know what happens lol

smh