Get Out (2017)

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
i love this movie, it was not targeted to any particular audience but there are parts of this movie white people just will not get even if its explained to them.

the only problem i have with this movie is that its fuel to a fire that is ongoing in society at the moment.

OaklandCertified

Town Business
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
ur right about this. And now it makes sense with the weird brother who was obsessed with Chris getting into MMA with "his genetics and build". That's why I said it seems like everyone in this movie was under some sort of hypnosis/alternate state of mind, except for Chris & Rod.

Yea the brother was weird..you can tell he was really into MMA, but he probably couldn't get into it because his body wasn't built for it.

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Yea the brother was weird..you can tell he was really into MMA, but he probably couldn't get into it because his body wasn't built for it.

Among many questions I'd love to ask Jordan is if he meant to link Jeremy's MMA fandom/fixation to the idea some people have presented of UFC as a sort of reclamation for white machismo after black/latino fighters started to really dominate boxing (before the Klitschko's took over the HW division anyway)

But yeah there were many, many allusions to all the weird Mandingo shyt white ppl be on IRL that has you grinning outwardly but like :dahell: on the inside

OaklandCertified

Town Business
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Among many questions I'd love to ask Jordan is if he meant to link Jeremy's MMA fandom/fixation to the idea some people have presented of UFC as a sort of reclamation for white machismo after black/latino fighters started to really dominate boxing (before the Klitschko's took over the HW division anyway)

But yeah there were many, many allusions to all the weird Mandingo shyt white ppl be on IRL that has you grinning outwardly but like :dahell: on the inside

it's funny u say this because I thought Chris's response would be "nah, I'm more in to boxing" or something along those lines. Good points.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Actually I think that was a Buck, not a female deer. Which would make more sense. Bc in that scene there's two round lamps on each side of the Buck head. The Buck mantle would be representative of the male fallace. With the lamps representing the genitals. Also, it's in the room where they brainwash brothers while mentioning what their "purpose" is. So basically I took it to mean that they were saying the only purpose we serve to them is to reproduce (the black buck shyt), be hunted and die. It would be more consistent with the theme of the movie too. Bc remember she's scouting her next victim and googling "NCAA prospects". Scouting more black bucks. But I could be wrong. Great analysis tho.

Oh shyt! I love this. I like your theory much better.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Saw it last night, movie theater was packed with many different races. But black folk really came out at my theater. So that's good to see that we are supporting other black films besides Tyler Perry. Hopefully Hollywood will move forward with other black movies being made off the strength of this.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
He saved himself by picking cotton.
So he could stay woke
full

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, yes, the trailer gave away way too much. On the other hand, I don't think I or others would've been as interested in seeing this if the trailer wasn't so insane
I feel like the trailer gave away a lot but not really if that makes sense.
Also this is a great discussion movie , like I was telling my girl looking back at it you can tell his girl was in on it based on her reactions to Chris concerns and interactions.
1) if your bf tells you that yoir mother hypnotized him WITHOUT his permission after he TOLD HER NO she' should either be super upset or be like what ? No it must be a mistake or something that's a huge fukking violation we gonna talk about this .
2) she didn't react to his saying umm Georgina is touching my stuff and the little complaints she was apologetic instead of being like Chris maybe your being paranoid.
3) his being on display at the party and not being like mom dad etc this is not cool , imagine a women asking those questions about is blsck better and shyt to you in front your girl :lolbron:
But the movie played it that she could of been an unwitting pawn with the way she was acting with forgetting the day of the party , apologizing for her dad even the pictures may of been her being hypnotized and punished for loving black people .

Spin

All Star
Daps
Yes, @hex please sticky this!

Great observations. Peele said he wanted to make a movie that you had to watch again. So I went back and saw this shyt again, and yeah, he packed a lot into this. So let's start a list of the racial symbolism or at least a theory of if something was racial symbolism or commentary.

1. The idea that a white man would use his daughter as bait for twisting a black man for his own use. The daughter not only becomes an accomplice but also just another tool (a lot has been written about how women are used as chess pieces in white supremacy)

2. That a white person can admire or even envy and covet black bodies while also believing in the supremacy of white society and intelligence (some black people still don't understand that just because someone wants to fukk you doesn't mean they think you're equal)

3. Can you really save someone once they've been turned out by white supremacy? I think we get that answer when Chris goes back and tries to take the maid with him as he escapes. She ends up nearly sabotaging his efforts to "get out". Is Peele saying, people who have been indoctrinated are forever lost?

4. The blind art dealer! OMG, I thought this was definitely a message moment. That sometimes, the white person you feel most comfortable with, that really "gets you" and comes across as the least racist is secretly trying to size you up and figure out if you will be any use to them. That whole conversation in the garden, when Chris kinda exhales and just has a normal conversation with this dude, the whole time this guy is checking Chris out like he's merchandise and then buys him.

5. Speaking of being betrayed. Chris' deepest fear and emotional blow was used to hypnotize him. There's gotta be a message in there about emotional manipulation and the way it's used to poke at our insecurities and weaknesses to keep us in line. No chains needed.

6. That idea that white racism fukks up white people too. After being raised in that family, it's obvious that the children have just turned out terribly. The son clearly has a drinking problem and is just all sorts of awkward, while the girl is eating Fruit Loops and drinking milk in a glass while scouting for her next victim.

7. I think it's ironic and brilliant how Chris said he didn't want his girlfriend's dad to run him off with a shotgun, and that's exactly how he left their property, only it was his girlfriend with the shotgun.

8. So let's talk about the deer. There's a theory floating around that the deer are the black people who have already been operated on. That when the doctor does the brain switch, they put the black people's brains inside of a deer, and then let the deer go - so it can be hunted! It sounds a bit far-fetched, but it's also an interesting theory because where does the black brain go when the doctor make the switch? And what's up with the way doctor/father goes on and on about hating deer and the way they destroy the ecosystem, and then what's up with the deer head in the basement?

Oh and

9. The perfectly chosen lyrics from 'Redbone' playing in the opening:

<i>But stay woke
nikkas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin' (oh)
Now stay woke
nikkas creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes</i>

I felt the same way about the blind guy. He showed Chris empathy and Chris felt bad for him because he was blind and they both shared the connection of photography. It built a level of trust. I also thought it was interesting the blind guy told him later in the movie "I don't know why they like black people..." That was a great moment because there are people out there who know things are fukked up, but they would rather figure out how to take advantage of the situation instead of helping to fix the problem.

Watched the movie and really enjoyed it

I have a house in the suburbs with my friends and all my nikkas was gone and me and my girl (ex now:sadcam:) got into it right after we watched the movie so I had to go to my house by myself and I'm not gonna lie brehs I was a little shook.

But I'm curious brehs, a movie that paints whites in such a dishonorable light is getting such a huge push I wonder why

Reminds me of how Kendrick's black power album got such a big push. Maybe I'm rambling and being paranoid brehs :dame:

I mentioned in another thread that the film industry is going through a change that actually is of benefit to black films. Many of the vanity projects and typical blockbusters out of Hollywood are flopping. What we are left with is horror/thrillers that are consistent as well as black films. Black people are still going to the theater and this movie was a combination of a horror/thriller that also appeals to blacks. Hollywood in many ways has no choice but to put out a film that will make money. That includes movies that wouldn't of been greenlighted years ago.

If you watch Jason Blum's (producer of this film) interview from SXSW, he mentions he likes finding completed scripts that writers can't get made. Peele mentioned that Blum came to him. Jason Blum prob recognized this movie would have great potential, but the rest of Hollywood were sitting on their hands. For $5 million, this was a great risk to take for Blumhouse.