Get Out (2017)

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
As far as the deer goes. Read up on buck-breaking brehs.

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 8.54.44 AM.png

"White people love making people sex slaves"

Last edited:

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps
Brehs classic classic classic movie

Talk about a horror movie ain't no horror movies have me Shook like this one!!!

Why?! Because we all know CACs look at us like items to buy marveling at our melanin and physique since the beginning of time.

Brainwashing, experimenting on black bodies since the beginning of time...kidnapping and missing black children etc

:wow:

As much as I want to get into how great the film was I can't get over the fact on some scale this Is happening to my brothas and sisters somewhere.

Also the sunken place to me is metaphorical to how we become when we aren't working with our higher self using our whole brain and take a back seat to distractions like past pain trauma and shyt like tv/social media, wanting to fit in etc.

I'll have to come back just dumping my initial thoughts this was something only a black man could pen, the subtle reactions to white people in these interactions had me laughing.

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps
Yes, @hex please sticky this!

Great observations. Peele said he wanted to make a movie that you had to watch again. So I went back and saw this shyt again, and yeah, he packed a lot into this. So let's start a list of the racial symbolism or at least a theory of if something was racial symbolism or commentary.

1. The idea that a white man would use his daughter as bait for twisting a black man for his own use. The daughter not only becomes an accomplice but also just another tool (a lot has been written about how women are used as chess pieces in white supremacy)

2. That a white person can admire or even envy and covet black bodies while also believing in the supremacy of white society and intelligence (some black people still don't understand that just because someone wants to fukk you doesn't mean they think you're equal)

3. Can you really save someone once they've been turned out by white supremacy? I think we get that answer when Chris goes back and tries to take the maid with him as he escapes. She ends up nearly sabotaging his efforts to "get out". Is Peele saying, people who have been indoctrinated are forever lost?

4. The blind art dealer! OMG, I thought this was definitely a message moment. That sometimes, the white person you feel most comfortable with, that really "gets you" and comes across as the least racist is secretly trying to size you up and figure out if you will be any use to them. That whole conversation in the garden, when Chris kinda exhales and just has a normal conversation with this dude, the whole time this guy is checking Chris out like he's merchandise and then buys him.

5. Speaking of being betrayed. Chris' deepest fear and emotional blow was used to hypnotize him. There's gotta be a message in there about emotional manipulation and the way it's used to poke at our insecurities and weaknesses to keep us in line. No chains needed.

6. That idea that white racism fukks up white people too. After being raised in that family, it's obvious that the children have just turned out terribly. The son clearly has a drinking problem and is just all sorts of awkward, while the girl is eating Fruit Loops and drinking milk in a glass while scouting for her next victim.

7. I think it's ironic and brilliant how Chris said he didn't want his girlfriend's dad to run him off with a shotgun, and that's exactly how he left their property, only it was his girlfriend with the shotgun.

8. So let's talk about the deer. There's a theory floating around that the deer are the black people who have already been operated on. That when the doctor does the brain switch, they put the black people's brains inside of a deer, and then let the deer go - so it can be hunted! It sounds a bit far-fetched, but it's also an interesting theory because where does the black brain go when the doctor make the switch? And what's up with the way doctor/father goes on and on about hating deer and the way they destroy the ecosystem, and then what's up with the deer head in the basement?

Oh and

9. The perfectly chosen lyrics from 'Redbone' playing in the opening:

<i>But stay woke
nikkas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin' (oh)
Now stay woke
nikkas creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes</i>

:wow:

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps
Another thing about him is the idea that
he thought he could get Chris gift if he took his body but ignorant to the fact that possibly Chris upbringing and life experience is why he can capture those pictures and he couldn't . And the fact the people in the party seemed to think that black people are wasting all their advantages and a white mind would be able to fully use the gifts .
Also sidenote why woujd the grandfather want a body that his granddaughter had fukked ?lol I hope he can't remember that

Y'all on fire in here :mjcry:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Very end spoiler
The very end was just an amazing takedown on white privilege.

In every other horror movie, the cops showing up at the end is a relief for the heroine who just survived the monster/killing machine. Cops in the horror movies represent a satisfying end to the horror, a feeling of safety and protection. But Peele turned the horror trope on it's face by having the cops showing up play out like yet another layer of horror for the audience.

There can be dead bodies everywhere and a white woman won't be shot or killed by the police when they arrive at the scene. But that can't be the ending of a movie where cops show up to a black man surrounded by dead bodies. We're living two different experiences, and even the most "post racial" white person in the audience would have to admit that they were expecting Chris to get his ass lit up when the cops showed up.

And while it would have made a poignant point had cops showed up and shot Chris as he stood with his hands up, I'm so glad Jordan said fukk that, and provided us with an image of black men helping each other and surviving. We didn't need to see another dead black man, he gave the audience laughs, horror, but then catharsis. And by giving the crowd pleasing moment, he actually subverted our expectations in both a clever and satisfying way. Masterful ending.