Get Out (2017)

BOXINGGEMS

@MansaRhea On Instagram and Twitter
Daps
Reppin
MIA to ATL
Yes, @hex please sticky this!

Great observations. Peele said he wanted to make a movie that you had to watch again. So I went back and saw this shyt again, and yeah, he packed a lot into this. So let's start a list of the racial symbolism or at least a theory of if something was racial symbolism or commentary.

1. The idea that a white man would use his daughter as bait for twisting a black man for his own use. The daughter not only becomes an accomplice but also just another tool (a lot has been written about how women are used as chess pieces in white supremacy)

2. That a white person can admire or even envy and covet black bodies while also believing in the supremacy of white society and intelligence (some black people still don't understand that just because someone wants to fukk you doesn't mean they think you're equal)

3. Can you really save someone once they've been turned out by white supremacy? I think we get that answer when Chris goes back and tries to take the maid with him as he escapes. She ends up nearly sabotaging his efforts to "get out". Is Peele saying, people who have been indoctrinated are forever lost?

4. The blind art dealer! OMG, I thought this was definitely a message moment. That sometimes, the white person you feel most comfortable with, that really "gets you" and comes across as the least racist is secretly trying to size you up and figure out if you will be any use to them. That whole conversation in the garden, when Chris kinda exhales and just has a normal conversation with this dude, the whole time this guy is checking Chris out like he's merchandise and then buys him.

5. Speaking of being betrayed. Chris' deepest fear and emotional blow was used to hypnotize him. There's gotta be a message in there about emotional manipulation and the way it's used to poke at our insecurities and weaknesses to keep us in line. No chains needed.

6. That idea that white racism fukks up white people too. After being raised in that family, it's obvious that the children have just turned out terribly. The son clearly has a drinking problem and is just all sorts of awkward, while the girl is eating Fruit Loops and drinking milk in a glass while scouting for her next victim.

7. I think it's ironic and brilliant how Chris said he didn't want his girlfriend's dad to run him off with a shotgun, and that's exactly how he left their property, only it was his girlfriend with the shotgun.

8. So let's talk about the deer. There's a theory floating around that the deer are the black people who have already been operated on. That when the doctor does the brain switch, they put the black people's brains inside of a deer, and then let the deer go - so it can be hunted! It sounds a bit far-fetched, but it's also an interesting theory because where does the black brain go when the doctor make the switch? And what's up with the way doctor/father goes on and on about hating deer and the way they destroy the ecosystem, and then what's up with the deer head in the basement?

Oh and

9. The perfectly chosen lyrics from 'Redbone' playing in the opening:

<i>But stay woke
nikkas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin' (oh)
Now stay woke
nikkas creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes</i>

Actually I think that was a Buck, not a female deer. Which would make more sense. Bc in that scene there's two round lamps on each side of the Buck head. The Buck mantle would be representative of the male fallace. With the lamps representing the genitals. Also, it's in the room where they brainwash brothers while mentioning what their "purpose" is. So basically I took it to mean that they were saying the only purpose we serve to them is to reproduce (the black buck shyt), be hunted and die. It would be more consistent with the theme of the movie too. Bc remember she's scouting her next victim and googling "NCAA prospects". Scouting more black bucks. But I could be wrong. Great analysis tho.

Last edited:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Another thing about him is the idea that
he thought he could get Chris gift if he took his body but ignorant to the fact that possibly Chris upbringing and life experience is why he can capture those pictures and he couldn't . And the fact the people in the party seemed to think that black people are wasting all their advantages and a white mind would be able to fully use the gifts .
Also sidenote why woujd the grandfather want a body that his granddaughter had fukked ?lol I hope he can't remember that

ur right about this. And now it makes sense with the weird brother who was obsessed with Chris getting into MMA with "his genetics and build". That's why I said it seems like everyone in this movie was under some sort of hypnosis/alternate state of mind, except for Chris & Rod.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw last night. Great movie but I wish I hadn't watched the trailer. The trailer, like most trailers nowadays, gave away way too much of the film. I typically avoid trailers like the plague because of that

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, yes, the trailer gave away way too much. On the other hand, I don't think I or others would've been as interested in seeing this if the trailer wasn't so insane

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
This is the best movie I have seen in a while.

can someone explain the significance of him running st night?

He young again, he's active, probably more athletic than he's ever been in his life. He was just taking advantage. He was also chopping wood, with one swing. They could've shown more to really hit home...or even shown how Georgina & Walter were really integrated into their family.