Get Out (2017)

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Not gonna lie I wonder about this too...:patrice:

Part of me thinks that it's white liberal guilt at play. These Cacs KNOW what they've done to us and continue to do to us and part of them truly feel guilty about it so they allow certain movies, music, messages to "slip by".

Other times I think that if it's THAT good and undeniably great, even the Cacs in power can't deny it, especially if they know it'll make them money.

Other times I feel like they pick and choose what gets put out to the masses and certain times to kind of "calm us down" and stop us from really
Going ham. Kendrick's album was full of black rage, it feels good to have a black artist SPEAK on what we are all feeling and actually have success. It feels good to see a movie like Get Out show black victimization for the horror that it is. Just having the story TOLD placates us in a way and the powers that be know that
Because they like you being afraid of them.

Stay away from them they win

Get close to them and be under fear of being killed or enslaved and or knowing your place in their presence they win.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Love
When Chris tells his girl he loves her and is crying in her arms I was thinking, "Yeah Peele is gonna let the white audience off the hook. He's gonna at least have ONE sympathetic white character for them to latch onto." But then when he saw all those pictures of her with the "victims" I was like "holy shyt, he's going all the way in with this!" :gladbron:
loved it ! Glad they went all in with that didn't see it coming ( though in retrospect it made sense with her actions )

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Part of me thinks that it's white liberal guilt at play. These Cacs KNOW what they've done to us and continue to do to us and part of them truly feel guilty about it so they allow certain movies, music, messages to "slip by".

Other times I think that if it's THAT good and undeniably great, even the Cacs in power can't deny it, especially if they know it'll make them money.

Other times I feel like they pick and choose what gets put out to the masses and certain times to kind of "calm us down" and stop us from really
Going ham. Kendrick's album was full of black rage, it feels good to have a black artist SPEAK on what we are all feeling and actually have success. It feels good to see a movie like Get Out show black victimization for the horror that it is. Just having the story TOLD placates us in a way and the powers that be know that

I think the movie works well enough as a thriller that you can ignore all the satire and racial commentary and still enjoy it. Like I read one review from a white critic who loved it just based solely on it being a well-executed horror movie. But the social commentary pretty much flew over his head or he chose to ignore it

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Also, I think the fact that Peele directing it gave it more of a pass. Key and Peele have always been seen as "safe black comedians" and white people have always loved the show. Plus they were probably like "well, he has a white wife, how bad can the movie be?" :lolbron:

But if this was just a random, first time black writer-director with no connections or following I doubt it would get the push that it's been getting

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nah, watch this in a black movie theater, I'm telling you it actually makes it a better flick with a black audience
Depends. I blew up on these 3 nikkas behind me. The movie just started and this nikka kept saying, "man that's a Porsche 944, that's a Porsche 944, sheeit I would of turn around too" I was like breh shyt the fukk up, I hear you more than I hear the movie :gucci:. I swear I can't stand people like that.