Get Out (2017)

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That was one of the most fun movie experiences I've ever had. If you go see this, go see it at a black theater. I've never been to a movie where the audience was that engaged with everything that was happening on screen.

To me, this movie was a pretty brutal takedown of white liberals, the condescending attitudes, the admiration of black culture that crosses the line into the fetishism of blackness and black bodies, etc.

All the performances were great but to me Lil Rel was the heart and soul of this movie. Everything that a black audience would normally say during a horror movie he basically did. He was simultaneously the comic relief while also being the voice of reason

The payoffs in this movie were great. His girlfriend's father talking about how his father was beaten by Jesse Owens and was jealous only to have the fast black dude be the guy that he ends up taking over. Chris recounting that story about leaving his mother behind which leads to him not leaving the black maid on the road, etc. This was a brilliant script, so many subtle things going on and a lot of layers to it. I feel like this movie will have HIGH replay value and there will be many things I'll pick up on after a second watch that I missed before.

But yeah, I LOVED this, best film I've seen in awhile. Props to Peele for pulling this off

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
Incredible. Brilliant. I usually hate how extra the crowd can get in downtown BK but it was perfect for tonight.

I love how common sense told me certain things but I was still hopeful they wouldn't occur and when it did it still left me surprised when it did.

I loved seeing a genre I enjoy from the perspective of a black male, something I never get.

I loved seeing horror from such a nuanced perspective - no crazy monsters in get ups, no extra gore, just a real place with extraordinary circumstances. Peel has my money moving forward.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Excellent film. I gotta hand it to Jordan Peele. The writers and directors did a fantastic job with the portrayal of how peverse the mind can be when you lose yourself (c00ning). Best part of the film was when

The art scion said to Chris, that although his mind won't be his, a piece of him will still be inside of him. To me, I feel that the writers were basically telling the c00ns out there, no matter how much you try to run from it, a piece of you "blackness" will remain.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Sticky this shyt right fukking now:gucci:

The levels to this movie require immense discussion between the brethren

Yes, @hex please sticky this!

:ohhh:Although it kinda hits close to home
So thats why she didn't want the police to see his ID. In our eyes, that situation was a normal everyday thing. In her eyes, she's just covering her tracks.

Mods can yall sticky this?

Did anyone notice that the black chick was the only one that could "snap out" the trance? She snaped out when she was pouring the tea outside and when she was talking to Chris in the bedroom. Both the blacks dudes needed the camera flash. A piece of her was still in there.... fighting:wow:

Excellent film. I gotta hand it to Jordan Peele. The writers and directors did a fantastic job with the portrayal of how peverse the mind can be when you lose yourself (c00ning). Best part of the film was when

The art scion said to Chris, that although his mind won't be his, a piece of him will still be inside of him. To me, I feel that the writers were basically telling the c00ns out there, no matter how much you try to run from it, a piece of you "blackness" will remain.

Great observations. Peele said he wanted to make a movie that you had to watch again. So I went back and saw this shyt again, and yeah, he packed a lot into this. So let's start a list of the racial symbolism or at least a theory of if something was racial symbolism or commentary.

1. The idea that a white man would use his daughter as bait for twisting a black man for his own use. The daughter not only becomes an accomplice but also just another tool (a lot has been written about how women are used as chess pieces in white supremacy)

2. That a white person can admire or even envy and covet black bodies while also believing in the supremacy of white society and intelligence (some black people still don't understand that just because someone wants to fukk you doesn't mean they think you're equal)

3. Can you really save someone once they've been turned out by white supremacy? I think we get that answer when Chris goes back and tries to take the maid with him as he escapes. She ends up nearly sabotaging his efforts to "get out". Is Peele saying, people who have been indoctrinated are forever lost?

4. The blind art dealer! OMG, I thought this was definitely a message moment. That sometimes, the white person you feel most comfortable with, that really "gets you" and comes across as the least racist is secretly trying to size you up and figure out if you will be any use to them. That whole conversation in the garden, when Chris kinda exhales and just has a normal conversation with this dude, the whole time this guy is checking Chris out like he's merchandise and then buys him.

5. Speaking of being betrayed. Chris' deepest fear and emotional blow was used to hypnotize him. There's gotta be a message in there about emotional manipulation and the way it's used to poke at our insecurities and weaknesses to keep us in line. No chains needed.

6. That idea that white racism fukks up white people too. After being raised in that family, it's obvious that the children have just turned out terribly. The son clearly has a drinking problem and is just all sorts of awkward, while the girl is eating Fruit Loops and drinking milk in a glass while scouting for her next victim.

7. I think it's ironic and brilliant how Chris said he didn't want his girlfriend's dad to run him off with a shotgun, and that's exactly how he left their property, only it was his girlfriend with the shotgun.

8. So let's talk about the deer. There's a theory floating around that the deer are the black people who have already been operated on. That when the doctor does the brain switch, they put the black people's brains inside of a deer, and then let the deer go - so it can be hunted! It sounds a bit far-fetched, but it's also an interesting theory because where does the black brain go when the doctor make the switch? And what's up with the way doctor/father goes on and on about hating deer and the way they destroy the ecosystem, and then what's up with the deer head in the basement?

Oh and

9. The perfectly chosen lyrics from 'Redbone' playing in the opening:

<i>But stay woke
nikkas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin' (oh)
Now stay woke
nikkas creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes</i>

Last edited:

GetitGone

not friendly.
Daps
Watched the movie and really enjoyed it

I have a house in the suburbs with my friends and all my nikkas was gone and me and my girl (ex now:sadcam:) got into it right after we watched the movie so I had to go to my house by myself and I'm not gonna lie brehs I was a little shook.

But I'm curious brehs, a movie that paints whites in such a dishonorable light is getting such a huge push I wonder why

Reminds me of how Kendrick's black power album got such a big push. Maybe I'm rambling and being paranoid brehs :dame:

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
Whoa! Bout to do a dab and hit the 11:30 show. I was trying to get a white gurl to take with me tho