Get Out (2017)

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This movie is dope as fukk

Chris facial expressions were on point through the whole movie and they did a great job with all the interactions being awkward and being filled with tension.

theater cheered for Rod coming through in the clutch, i was pissed when I saw the blue lights like :damn: he's been through enough

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Let me preface with a - :mjpls:.

I left the theater thinking did Kubrick possess Peele's body and use his experiences and life during the writing/making of this film? (which to say I was cautious of - how would his social commentary carry over from a sketch to a feature-length film). This shyt [satire] bites hard; I mean a film that tackles pandering, cultural appropriation, asteism, typecasts, modern-day thinghood, White America paranoia, Stockholm syndrome and c00ning - all with a black pulse - needed to be made. If only for the purpose to caricaturize the absurdity of this muh'fukken country, we as black folk live in, for the white masses to see. Which is funny because even though it is a veil for racial commentary, it's a better horror in and of itself. Which is the key to great filmmaking, especially for one whom is black and will inevitably have to deal with accusations of agitprop.

I don't wanna go into too much detail about the film, but one thing I will leave you with is Lil Rel being the black meta-Voice Of Reason is low key the most genius thing about it all - not only for providing a comical balance, not only for the view of reality itself, but there's always that one family member who's trying to be all-up-in-the-videos when you're trying to watch a horror film; unable to tune into their suspension of disbelief.

I just came from seeing it, and I don't think may will even notice the brilliant satire until it's explained to them. That's gonna keep some of the ratings down. I will say that a slightly better score would have made this a 10, that and maybe he could've played more to the horror instead of a thriller. I have it at 8-8.5

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Depends. I blew up on these 3 nikkas behind me. The movie just started and this nikka kept saying, "man that's a Porsche 944, that's a Porsche 944, sheeit I would of turn around too" I was like breh shyt the fukk up, I hear you more than I hear the movie :gucci:. I swear I can't stand people like that.

These ladies behind me kept saying "kill dat b!tch" "you done fukked up now" Sh!t was annoying but I can tell most of the commentary flew way over their heads

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
M
Why is this not pinned? On a black website?

@Jax
Fantastic movie:wow:

I'm gonna see it again on Tuesday
I'm looking to see it again next week as well movie was amazing . All Chris expressions during the movie lol are the faces I can imagine someone making during awkward racial discussions . The funniest thing is I think white people see This movie and are gonna be like I relate to blsvk people I voted for Obama and saw get out . I can already hear the I'm not racist get out is my favorite movie!!

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most interesting character to me was
the blind guy who tries to take Chris over. To me he represents the "color-blind" white guy who "doesn't see race." Even when he's talking through the TV he says he really doesn't give a fukk about Chris being black, he just wants his photography skill. It shows how even if you're not racist and don't care about race, you can still benefit from and perpetuate a racist system. It shows how going along with a racist power structure and taking advantage of it even when you don't necessarily believe in the ideals it promotes is just as, if not more harmful than buying into the ideology. It was very telling how the one character who was the biggest threat to Chris was also the least racist white person in the movie.

It's also tripping me out that the actor who played him is the guy who played Milton in Office Space:russ:
Another thing about him is the idea that
he thought he could get Chris gift if he took his body but ignorant to the fact that possibly Chris upbringing and life experience is why he can capture those pictures and he couldn't . And the fact the people in the party seemed to think that black people are wasting all their advantages and a white mind would be able to fully use the gifts .
Also sidenote why woujd the grandfather want a body that his granddaughter had fukked ?lol I hope he can't remember that

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he thought he could get Chris gift if he took his body but ignorant to the fact that possibly Chris upbringing and life experience is why he can capture those pictures and he couldn't . And the fact the people in the party seemed to think that black people are wasting all their advantages and a white mind would be able to fully use the gifts .
Also sidenote why woujd the grandfather want a body that his granddaughter had fukked ?lol I hope he can't remember that

Great point
Him making Chris an artist and a white person trying to take his art was a nice critique of cultural appropriation. And lmao at the grandfather/granddaughter, I didn't even think about that

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
i was like nooo at the ending seeing the flashing lights till it showed TSA

I've never heard an audience cheer that loudly during a movie than when his friend came out. Shyt was like watching a buzzer beater at a basketball game :russ:

That was a GREAT way of subverting your expectations. Its a nod to Night of the Living Dead, but if things went different.

Great point
Him making Chris an artist and a white person trying to take his art was a nice critique of cultural appropriation. And lmao at the grandfather/granddaughter, I didn't even think about that

Another factor you have to account for is that he's
an art dealer. So while the other older whites are giddy about the prospect of getting the black body. He's going to be more cool, calm, and collected. Thats his job. Thats how they operate. So it was true to form that he'll be calm. Its also a great nod to slavery. The irony being that whites years ago were excited to control and damage to the black body. During this time they are excited to control and experience the black body. This guy he represents the whites who use to buy blacks pragmatically. Its just business. Its just a transaction for him.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
tumblr_olqhz6iWlP1thr7ppo3_r1_1280.jpg
tumblr_olqhz6iWlP1thr7ppo4_r1_1280.jpg
tumblr_olqhz6iWlP1thr7ppo6_r1_1280.jpg

Artists Corey Barksdale, Frank Morrison, Sindiso... - Broke Horror Fan