Get Out (2017)

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Holy shyt. The dad in this movie was Bradley Whitford from West Wing!?!? :mindblown:

latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, @hex please sticky this!

Great observations. Peele said he wanted to make a movie that you had to watch again. So I went back and saw this shyt again, and yeah, he packed a lot into this. So let's start a list of the racial symbolism or at least a theory of if something was racial symbolism or commentary.

1. The idea that a white man would use his daughter as bait for twisting a black man for his own use. The daughter not only becomes an accomplice but also just another tool (a lot has been written about how women are used as chess pieces in white supremacy)

2. That a white person can admire or even envy and covet black bodies while also believing in the supremacy of white society and intelligence (some black people still don't understand that just because someone wants to fukk you doesn't mean they think you're equal)

3. Can you really save someone once they've been turned out by white supremacy? I think we get that answer when Chris goes back and tries to take the maid with him as he escapes. She ends up nearly sabotaging his efforts to "get out". Is Peele saying, people who have been indoctrinated are forever lost?

4. The blind art dealer! OMG, I thought this was definitely a message moment. That sometimes, the white person you feel most comfortable with, that really "gets you" and comes across as the least racist is secretly trying to size you up and figure out if you will be any use to them. That whole conversation in the garden, when Chris kinda exhales and just has a normal conversation with this dude, the whole time this guy is checking Chris out like he's merchandise and then buys him.

5. Speaking of being betrayed. Chris' deepest fear and emotional blow was used to hypnotize him. There's gotta be a message in there about emotional manipulation and the way it's used to poke at our insecurities and weaknesses to keep us in line. No chains needed.

6. That idea that white racism fukks up white people too. After being raised in that family, it's obvious that the children have just turned out terribly. The son clearly has a drinking problem and is just all sorts of awkward, while the girl is eating Fruit Loops and drinking milk in a glass while scouting for her next victim.

7. I think it's ironic and brilliant how Chris said he didn't want his girlfriend's dad to run him off with a shotgun, and that's exactly how he left their property, only it was his girlfriend with the shotgun.

8. So let's talk about the deer. There's a theory floating around that the deer are the black people who have already been operated on. That when the doctor does the brain switch, they put the black people's brains inside of a deer, and then let the deer go - so it can be hunted! It sounds a bit far-fetched, but it's also an interesting theory because where does the black brain go when the doctor make the switch? And what's up with the way doctor/father goes on and on about hating deer and the way they destroy the ecosystem, and then what's up with the deer head in the basement?

Oh and

9. The perfectly chosen lyrics from 'Redbone' playing in the opening:

<i>But stay woke
nikkas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin' (oh)
Now stay woke
nikkas creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes</i>

Great analysis
Your deer theory is on point. Also makes sense that Chris was so distraught about killing the deer at the beginning. And yeah, that whole rant the father made about hating deer definitely drove that point home

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Great analysis
Your deer theory is on point. Also makes sense that Chris was so distraught about killing the deer at the beginning. And yeah, that whole rant the father made about hating deer definitely drove that point home
I'm half and half in that theory. I want it to be as deep as that but on the flipside...What did they do with the white bodies? I think the black brains went to wherever the white bodies went, which is probably burned to ashes. I mean why would they waste their time to catch a deer and operate on deer like that? Would an adult brain even fit in a deer skull? Cool theory though.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm half and half in that theory. I want it to be as deep as that but on the flipside...What did they do with the white bodies? I think the black brains went to wherever the white bodies went, which is probably burned to ashes. I mean why would they waste their time to catch a deer and operate on deer like that? Would an adult brain even fit in a deer skull? Cool theory though.
Yeah that is a good point. It doesn't quite work out logically considering what the family was trying to accomplish now that I really think about it

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most interesting character to me was
the blind guy who tries to take Chris over. To me he represents the "color-blind" white guy who "doesn't see race." Even when he's talking through the TV he says he really doesn't give a fukk about Chris being black, he just wants his photography skill. It shows how even if you're not racist and don't care about race, you can still benefit from and perpetuate a racist system. It shows how going along with a racist power structure and taking advantage of it even when you don't necessarily believe in the ideals it promotes is just as, if not more harmful than buying into the ideology. It was very telling how the one character who was the biggest threat to Chris was also the least racist white person in the movie.

It's also tripping me out that the actor who played him is the guy who played Milton in Office Space:russ:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
9/10 damn near flawless.

White women in the theatre were like :mjcry:
When Chris tells his girl he loves her and is crying in her arms I was thinking, "Yeah Peele is gonna let the white audience off the hook. He's gonna at least have ONE sympathetic white character for them to latch onto." But then when he saw all those pictures of her with the "victims" I was like "holy shyt, he's going all the way in with this!" :gladbron:

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Most interesting character to me was
the blind guy who tries to take Chris over. To me he represents the "color-blind" white guy who "doesn't see race." Even when he's talking through the TV he says he really doesn't give a fukk about Chris being black, he just wants his photography skill. It shows how even if you're not racist and don't care about race, you can still benefit from and perpetuate a racist system. It shows how going along with a racist power structure and taking advantage of it even when you don't necessarily believe in the ideals it promotes is just as, if not more harmful than buying into the ideology. It was very telling how the one character who was the biggest threat to Chris was also the least racist white person in the movie.

It's also tripping me out that the actor who played him is the guy who played Milton in Office Space:russ:
He's also the voice of Bill from King Of The Hill.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Watched the movie and really enjoyed it

I have a house in the suburbs with my friends and all my nikkas was gone and me and my girl (ex now:sadcam:) got into it right after we watched the movie so I had to go to my house by myself and I'm not gonna lie brehs I was a little shook.

But I'm curious brehs, a movie that paints whites in such a dishonorable light is getting such a huge push I wonder why

Reminds me of how Kendrick's black power album got such a big push. Maybe I'm rambling and being paranoid brehs :dame:

Not gonna lie I wonder about this too...:patrice:

Part of me thinks that it's white liberal guilt at play. These Cacs KNOW what they've done to us and continue to do to us and part of them truly feel guilty about it so they allow certain movies, music, messages to "slip by".

Other times I think that if it's THAT good and undeniably great, even the Cacs in power can't deny it, especially if they know it'll make them money.

Other times I feel like they pick and choose what gets put out to the masses and certain times to kind of "calm us down" and stop us from really
Going ham. Kendrick's album was full of black rage, it feels good to have a black artist SPEAK on what we are all feeling and actually have success. It feels good to see a movie like Get Out show black victimization for the horror that it is. Just having the story TOLD placates us in a way and the powers that be know that