Get Out (2017)

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
You're wrong.

The studio put it in the comedy category so they can get a win and get their lead actor nominated. They're putting themselves in the best space to win.

The Martian was in the comedy category for the same reason. It's how the process works.

They wouldn't have to do this for the Oscars because they have a best film aways that includes multiple genres.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to Hollywood spin. The Globes and Oscars don't have the best history when it comes to honoring Blacks in film. If Jordan was a more dramatic actor and never did a sketch comedy show (Mad TV, Key&Peele), they wouldn't be putting it in this category. I honestly don't care as I said, I know who controls these awards shows. But if they think that spin is going to fly, they are wrong. It's not a comedy period, they are minimizing the message of the film putting it in that category. Also Jordan already came out and said, and I quote

At an event, New York’s Lincoln Ristorante, he explained on his thoughts about it, per IndieWire. "The problem is, it’s not a movie that can really be put into a genre box. Originally, I set out to make a horror movie. I ended up showing it to people and hearing, you know, it doesn’t even feel like horror. It’s in this thriller world. So it was a social thriller.”

He continued: "What the movie is about is not funny. I’ve had many black people come up to me and say, ‘man, this is the movie we’ve been talking about for a while and you did it.’ That’s a very powerful thing. For that to be put in a smaller box than it deserves is where the controversy comes from.”

So again, Hollywood and the studios can say what they what. It's wrong to put this movie in a Comedy Category period. Also your "The Martian" Excuse doesn't fly. "The Exorcist" and "Silence of the lambs' both nominated "Best Drama" at the Globes and they were horror (Exorcist Won).

Last edited:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry, I don't subscribe to Hollywood spin. The Globes and Oscars don't have the best history when it comes to honoring Blacks in film. If Jordan was a more dramatic actor and never did a sketch comedy show (Mad TV, Key&Peele), they wouldn't be putting it in this category. I honestly don't care as I said, I know who controls these awards shows. But if they think that spin is going to fly, they are wrong. It's not a comedy period, they are minimizing the message of the film putting it in that category. Also Jordan already came out and said, and I quote

At an event, New York’s Lincoln Ristorante, he explained on his thoughts about it, per IndieWire. "The problem is, it’s not a movie that can really be put into a genre box. Originally, I set out to make a horror movie. I ended up showing it to people and hearing, you know, it doesn’t even feel like horror. It’s in this thriller world. So it was a social thriller.”

He continued: "What the movie is about is not funny. I’ve had many black people come up to me and say, ‘man, this is the movie we’ve been talking about for a while and you did it.’ That’s a very powerful thing. For that to be put in a smaller box than it deserves is where the controversy comes from.”

So again, Hollywood and the studios can say what they what. It's wrong to put this movie in a Comedy Category period. Also your "The Martian" Excuse doesn't fly. "The Exorcist" and "Silence of the lambs' both nominated "Best Drama" at the Globes and they were horror (Exorcist Won).

The studio is doing this to win the award. There's less completion in the comedy category. It won't win as a drama especially when it's going against movies that came out more recently. They want to win the Golden Globe which will give them momentum for the Oscars. They're not doing it as a slight. If the Globes had a best film category this wouldn't have happened.

You're comparing Get Out and Silence of the Lambs to Get Out? There wasn't any comic relief in those movies nor were they satirical. They are dramas. The Martian wasn't a full on comedy nor is Get Out but they used comedic moments in the films as an exploit to get nominations.

The Martian process there's precedence for this happening and not just for black films.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I see both sides. It is satire, so it's a shade of comedy and honestly the comedy section of GG's have always been reserved for movies that don't really fit into a perfect box. On the other hand, there's nothing really funny about the subject 'Get Out' is poking at, and I'd hate for anyone to devalue the gravity of the message because of the category, which white folks did to do with race in general.

"Get Out" was way more a "Suspense Thriller" or "Drama' than "Comedy". Please. These awards shows are pathetic. Stop acting like "Get Out" can't compete with all the best film this year in Drama. It's a way to downplay the film because Jordan is a "Comedic" Actor. Honestly it's doesn't matter because we all know who controls these awards shows. But they put it in that category because Jordan's background. I've always said Awards shows categories are too limited anyway. There was nothing 'Comical" about "Get Out". The film was a nightmare. Very Hitchcockian and Kubrician.

Doesn't the Globes have best actor noms for Comedy/Musical as well?

Its going to be interesting if Daniel Kaluuya gets a best comedic performance nom. I know Matt Damon got a nom in category for the Martian. So yea the Globes are weird, but still..

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
This is a lot of outrage over something as insignificant as the fukking Golden Globes, brehs. :why:

I bet around the time these awards are actually being handed out half of you guys will be saying shyt like 'Man, who cares about these white people awards anyways?'

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Doesn't the Globes have best actor noms for Comedy/Musical as well?

Its going to be interesting if Daniel Kaluuya gets a best comedic performance nom. I know Matt Damon got a nom in category for the Martian. So yea the Globes are weird, but still..

If Daniel Kaluuya wins for a comedic performance that would be a straight crime. Those tears he shed in 'Get Out' were top of the line dramatic.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
If Daniel Kaluuya wins for a comedic performance that would be a straight crime. Those tears he shed in 'Get Out' were top of the line dramatic.
It's not best comedic performance, breh. It's best performance in a comedy/musical. It says nothing about the nature of the performance itself.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I guess imma white supremacist because Lil Rel was funny as fukk in that movie.

I have no idea why this is a controversy. The movie was funny and they want it to win awards. It was not going to win the drama category.

Fortunately the Oscars do not do this. And I do think it will be nominated for an Oscar in Best Picture. (and it may win)
You've been known as a white supremacist to those familiar.