Get Out (2017)

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Personally I just haven't heard it, in fact this board is the only place I've seen some brothers really discussing this film :yeshrug:

shyt, I can't really call it. I have heard a lot of talk about it. But mostly from white people, to be honest. The black people who've talked to me about it have done so over the phone or through email and text. I don't live in a black community right now, so I rarely get to have conversations of depth with black people face-to-face. I grew up in a Harlem housing project, but my educational "success" has continually taken me to environments where I'm one of the relatively few black people in the figurative room. Moving to a new city for a new job in August, and I'm excited to find an black social community again.

Beautiful post Walt. The bolded is very difficult for me, even though I tried. That's why I put the disclaimer that I wasn't a fan off the jump. I still remember watching a 106 episode on BET (maybe not the best crowd for my example :pachaha:) but they did that Obama bit and they bombed so bad and I felt appalled. Even though with my own two eyes a black man doing the bit, it felt like it was a white guy making fun of black, in front of a crowd of black people and it didn't sit right. They even ended the bit early and changed the subject. It's never right to go into any project with a biased mind, but he provided that bias imo.
But with respect to all of yall, (still coli fam even if we gotta shoot at each other)I take another watch with this thread open to see if context has changed.

Man, I don't fukk with Key & Peele. At all. Seen a bunch of their skits, found them to be hit or miss (mostly miss). I have my theories on the decline of black comedy, hip hop, etc. but that's for another thread. When the trailer for Get Out first dropped I thought "this is either going to be really good or the stupidest shyt ever. Probably the latter." I was pleasantly surprised. Thought it was well written and well executed. It's being overhyped in terms of how profound it is, sure. But I think that's because there are so few movies that take on racism yet are accessible enough for blacks and whites to discuss.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
shyt, I can't really call it. I have heard a lot of talk about it. But mostly from white people, to be honest. The black people who've talked to me about it have done so over the phone or through email and text. I don't live in a black community right now, so I rarely get to have conversations of depth with black people face-to-face. I grew up in a Harlem housing project, but my educational "success" has continually taken me to environments where I'm one of the relatively few black people in the figurative room. Moving to a new city for a new job in August, and I'm excited to find an black social community again.

Man, I don't fukk with Key & Peele. At all. Seen a bunch of their skits, found them to be hit or miss (mostly miss). I have my theories on the decline of black comedy, hip hop, etc. but that's for another thread. When the trailer for Get Out first dropped I thought "this is either going to be really good or the stupidest shyt ever. Probably the latter." I was pleasantly surprised. Thought it was well written and well executed. It's being overhyped in terms of how profound it is, sure. But I think that's because there are so few movies that take on racism yet are accessible enough for blacks and whites to discuss.
Don't ever be ashamed of that black man get your paper :salute:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this.:whew: So furious i didn't see it opening week in an all black theatre in brooklyn or something......:ohlawd: or in an all rich white theatre waayyyyy up top incognito with the :steviej: face.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah it's not like he started with the story tho, he was up front at first and said his boy was missing for 2 days, he was taking care of his dog and he was worried. Then he went off with the story about what he think happened and that's when shyt flipped. But even after that they should've still looked into it as it's still supposed to be officers duty. Like send a cop car over to parents house n check at least.
Think about this though.

He said his "boy" but a grown man was missing for two days at his girlfriend's parents' place, and then went into his story.

No police officers are looking into that shyt.

A child missing, sure. You saw somebody got abducted, sure. But somebody went on a trip with their girlfriend and they haven't returned your calls in a couple of days? Any policeman looking at you like :comeon:

• Dap
Reactions: flo

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I'm college educated, most of my friends are as well, and I live in the city so I'm around a lot of different people from different walks of life. I literally did not hear a lot of chatter about this other than the jokes. This could be due to the meme generation where everyone wants to make a meme of everything, but I just didn't see it. Breh above me responded to me and spoke of Spike Lee. When Chiraq came out, I heard conversations all around about it from the people I'm around. Even though it was the story of Lysistrata and didn't do nearly as well in the box office, I heard real conversation about it. Even those who were opposed to that movie (bc of the Chiraq name, unrealistic, whateverthecase), there was conversation coming from all sides. Personally I just haven't heard it, in fact this board is the only place I've seen some brothers really discussing this film :yeshrug:

Beautiful post Walt. The bolded is very difficult for me, even though I tried. That's why I put the disclaimer that I wasn't a fan off the jump. I still remember watching a 106 episode on BET (maybe not the best crowd for my example :pachaha:) but they did that Obama bit and they bombed so bad and I felt appalled. Even though with my own two eyes a black man doing the bit, it felt like it was a white guy making fun of black, in front of a crowd of black people and it didn't sit right. They even ended the bit early and changed the subject. It's never right to go into any project with a biased mind, but he provided that bias imo.
But with respect to all of yall, (still coli fam even if we gotta shoot at each other)I take another watch with this thread open to see if context has changed.

I'm not a fan of Key and Peele comedy. It sucks but this here...

This is Peele's lane. I can't deny him that. The craftsmanship of the film. Along with the writing... too on point.
However I don't think he can maintain a level of this quality. Regardless, he'll always have this gem.

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I'm not a fan of Key and Peele comedy. It sucks but this here...

This is Peele's lane. I can't deny him that. The craftsmanship of the film. Along with the writing... too on point.
However I don't think he can maintain a level of this quality. Regardless, he'll always have this gem.
That show was trash but his movie was dope. Like Chappelle show is dope but his standup comedy is alright

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Just saw it. Enjoyed it a lot Lil Rell was perfect but kind of disappointed with Daniel Kaluuya's performance. He barely acted in the first 75% of the movie, just mumbled and nodded.

I didn't think it would matter but Sam Jackson was right. They 100% should have cast an American actor. So much of the role was about being subtly relatable and he wasn't quite there. His reactions to the white folks at he party were just flat. Like he spent most of his energy on trying to appear American.

Plenty actors could have killed this role