Geno Auriemma calls Caitlyn Clark fans "delusional"

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This being blown out of proportion the way it is, is exactly the reason she shouldn’t be on the team. There’s definitely precedent for her to be on it based purely on star power. Even just to get her around elite players of a caliber shes never experienced is good for the game overall.

But her being this big of a distraction when she probably won’t play much outside of garbage time is enough reason to keep her off.

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The gatekeepers of women’s basketball are obviously not interested in capitalizing on this new found interest in the game. With the attention CC brings (good and bad) it’s crazy not to want those new people consuming the game on a big stage.

It’s their sandbox and they’ll be damned if they’ll be forced to do something that’s not in their best interest

The Olympics is ultimately big showcase for sports with the potential of growing popularity if marketed correctly. The NBA used the platform to their advantage in 1992. And no the 92 Dream team didn’t have the best players in the league on that team.

As I get older, the more I appreciate David Stern. He understood the game, business and marketing. Whoever is pulling the strings for women’s basketball suck at those aspects.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The gatekeepers of women’s basketball are obviously not interested in capitalizing on this new found interest in the game. With the attention CC brings (good and bad) it’s crazy not to want those new people consuming the game on a big stage.

It’s their sandbox and they’ll be damned if they’ll be forced to do something that’s not in their best interest

The Olympics is ultimately big showcase for sports with the potential of growing popularity if marketed correctly. The NBA used the platform to their advantage in 1992. And no the 92 Dream team didn’t have the best players in the league on that team.

As I get older, the more I appreciate David Stern. He understood the game, business and marketing. Whoever is pulling the strings for women’s basketball suck at those aspects.

I agree for the most part. But it’s also true that this could be more bad than good. Her fanbase IS toxic. There is a world where she comes along and she plays garbage time and it’s a dope story. That’s not this one. Can you imagine the vitriol this team would get if they lose while she’s on the bench?

(Honestly, the toothpaste might be out the tube in that front now, they HAVE to win or else they’ll never hear the end of it)

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

They're not interested in the game... they're only interested in Clark.

If they were interested in the game, they would make an attempt to talk about other players.

Basically, the WNBA are props.

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I agree for the most part. But it’s also true that this could be more bad than good. Her fanbase IS toxic. There is a world where she comes along and she plays garbage time and it’s a dope story. That’s not this one. Can you imagine the vitriol this team would get if they lose while she’s on the bench?

(Honestly, the toothpaste might be out the tube in that front now, they HAVE to win or else they’ll never hear the end of it)

Unless an act of God happens, it’s a stone cold lock that US women’s basketball team wins gold this summer.

Increasing visibility and marketing the game should be the goal. Not what social media thinks.

To me, it seems like social media is driving these decisions. I’m kind of surprised the WNBA’s partners (Nike, Disney) didn’t intervene.

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
They're not interested in the game... they're only interested in Clark.

If they were interested in the game, they would make an attempt to talk about other players.

Basically, the WNBA are props.

You use CC as a vehicle to elevate others and women’s basketball.

No different on how Magic and Bird and later Jordan were used