Veteran
Daps
ZIZv4ZU.png

he's the lead developer of mastodon.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Digesting this, the big problem I have with this is the 1st one. Elon doesn't know how to code, automatically it's throwing me off this post because the OP think Elon is a smart guy. I do agree in a sense that Elon want's to "Warp the Information Space". However other social media's suspend or ban extremist views, Twitter is just a legacy system. The Left will go anywhere, while the Right has Truth Social and Telegram, and nowhere else.

I do believe Elon is just understanding now, of how much of a bad investment Twitter is, and really he is stuck with it as he cannot find ways to make money while also having people trying to collect money from him. Although as the #1 Rich Man, Elon's pride won't publicly admit it.
I would bet you good money, that if Elon hadn't done the mass layoffs and just keep twitter going as is, he wouldn't be down by as much as he is right now. Could have cut the workforce in keeping with the industry contraction and kept it moving.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Maybe it's not that complicated and he is just not that smart :manny:
It's very obvious this is not some part of Elon Musk master plan. If it was, we would see the usual signs of Elon's trolling and 'hilarious' memeing, he would limit viewed tweets to 420 and posts to 69 :beli:

This seems like just pure incompetence. Refused to pay for Google services, skeleton crew unable to find a solution in time and then Elon left juelzing.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Google decimates Twitter search results after Elon Musk imposes limits on reading tweets​

David Edwards
July 3, 2023, 10:32 AM ET

Google has reportedly removed much of Twitter's links from its search results after the social network's owner Elon Musk announced reading tweets would be limited.

Search Engine Roundtable found that Google had removed 52% of Twitter links since the crackdown began last week. Twitter now blocks users who are not logged in and sets limits on reading tweets.

According to Barry Schwartz, Google reported 471 million Twitter URLs as of Friday. But by Monday morning, that number had plummeted to 227 million.

"For normal indexing of these Twitter URLs, it seems like these tweets are dropping out of the sky," Schwartz wrote.

Platformer reported last month that Twitter refused to pay its bill for Google Cloud services.

"Prior to Musk buying Twitter last year, the company signed a multi-year contract with Google to host services related to fighting spam, removing child sexual abuse material, and protecting accounts, among other things," according to Platformer.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Meta’s Twitter competitor launches on July 6th, according to the App Store​

/

If you want to bail from Twitter, seems like you won’t have to wait long to be able to download Threads.​

By Jay Peters, a news editor who writes about technology, video games, and virtual worlds. He’s submitted several accepted emoji proposals to the Unicode Consortium.
Jul 3, 2023, 7:28 PM EDT

A screenshot of Threads’ App Store listing.

Screenshot by Jay Peters / The Verge

Meta’s Twitter competitor, Threads, is expected to launch on July 6th, according the App Store listing for the app. Threads had showed up on Google Play on Saturday with screenshots and some initial details, and a listing I saw on Google Play didn’t have a release date, so this date from the App Store appears to give us our first official date for when we might be able to download the app.
Here is the official — and brief — description of the app, from the App Store:
Say more with Threads — Instagram’s text-based conversation app
Threads is where communities come together to discuss everything from the topics you care about today to what’ll be trending tomorrow. Whatever it is you’re interested in, you can follow and connect directly with your favorite creators and others who love the same things — or build a loyal following of your own to share your ideas, opinions and creativity with the world.
The listing also has what appear to be the same screenshots from the Google Play listing, showing that you’ll be able to log in with your Instagram handle, find the accounts you follow on Instagram on the new app, and post in an interface that looks a lot like many other text-based social media apps. In a companywide meeting, Meta executives also shared that the app will integrate with the decentralized social media protocol ActivityPub, as reported by my colleague Alex Heath.

A screenshot of Threads.
A screenshot of Threads.
A screenshot of Threads.
A screenshot of Threads.

1/4
Screenshot by Jay Peters / The Verge

Still, just because the app is available to

Still, just because the app is available to download on July 6th doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be able to jump in and post. I wouldn’t be surprised if Meta does a slow rollout of some kind for the app, so you might want to be prepared to wait to actually be able to find your new non-Twitter home.

But I can understand if you’re actively seeking a new place to post. Twitter has blocked unregistered users from being able to see tweets and implemented rate limits for those who are logged in. The company is also suddenly rolling out some major changes to TweetDeck after the app began to break — and in about a month, TweetDeck is going to become a paid feature. Many tried to turn to Bluesky, but it halted new user signups for more than a day to fix issues it ran into because of the waves of people flooding the app. The CEO of Mastodon is feeling good, though.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
tT7W9uf.png

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps

Meta’s Twitter competitor launches on July 6th, according to the App Store​

Even with the immediate access to all of Instagram's userbase and Meta money behind it I still have a hard time believing this will be successful. Only because Meta/Facebook and pretty much all of these huge tech companies have never created a new product without it starting as an acquisition.

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even with the immediate access to all of Instagram's userbase and Meta money behind it I still have a hard time believing this will be successful. Only because Meta/Facebook and pretty much all of these huge tech companies have never created a new product without it starting as an acquisition.

How hard can it be? They have access to the Instagram/Whatsapp/Facebook user base, and I'm sure they hired a bunch of people Musk fired as soon as he bought Twitter. Throw in a healthy amount of money from Zuckerberg, and a Twitter user base actively looking for an alternative, and you have a winning combination

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
re:Threads

Interesting screenshots. I do wish they reinvented their style guide for it instead of making it a slightly expanded replica of the comment section on iG.

With that said, I can see it integrating nicely w/ vanilla IG

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
How hard can it be? They have access to the Instagram/Whatsapp/Facebook user base, and I'm sure they hired a bunch of people Musk fired as soon as he bought Twitter. Throw in a healthy amount of money from Zuckerberg, and a Twitter user base actively looking for an alternative, and you have a winning combination
Apparently it's very hard because every single standalone product they have was acquired (Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus). Somehow these tech geniuses who came up with the initial groundbreaking app can never replicate that success even though they now have billions of dollars. And it's not just Facebook, Google churns out multiple failed products every year.

Also Elon Musk exposing himself daily makes people forget that these other tech owners are also pieces of shyt, arrogant and incompetent. IG selling checkmarks, Reddit charging for API, Jack trying to make a more racist/libertarian social network and so on.

Instagram already has restrictions on users without accounts. You can't view stories if you're not logged in, you can't see all comments and you can only scroll through few photos before getting an alert to make an account.

And then on top of all of that I bet they won't just make a simple twitter clone, they'll probably try to integrate IG/Facebook into it and ruin what made twitter successful.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
That’s the problem with people like Elon musk, mark zuckerberg, etc. These people are able to attain success by acquiring other successful or potentially successful business models but when they try to create something of their own ie metaverse, starlink, spacex etc they’re massive failures.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
Apparently it's very hard because every single standalone product they have was acquired (Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus). Somehow these tech geniuses who came up with the initial groundbreaking app can never replicate that success even though they now have billions of dollars. And it's not just Facebook, Google churns out multiple failed products every year.

Also Elon Musk exposing himself daily makes people forget that these other tech owners are also pieces of shyt, arrogant and incompetent. IG selling checkmarks, Reddit charging for API, Jack trying to make a more racist/libertarian social network and so on.

Instagram already has restrictions on users without accounts. You can't view stories if you're not logged in, you can't see all comments and you can only scroll through few photos before getting an alert to make an account.

And then on top of all of that I bet they won't just make a simple twitter clone, they'll probably try to integrate IG/Facebook into it and ruin what made twitter successful.
This is where the important of black people come in in my opinion. In my opinion black people give social media outlets that “it” factor. No one was using twitter until “black twitter” made it cool. The same thing happened with instagram. Whatever social media outlet that black people migrate to after twitter fails will be the new twitter.