Gaming Going Subscription Won’t Be Cheaper

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Those games will be what make subscription services feasible in the Long term. It’s why nintendo isn’t doing it
Nintendo will live and die by their current business model. They are a platform where the majority of people are there for Nintendo games. A lot of the other content from third parties on the platform is shovelware. If anything the bigger threat to them is mobile which is why for a period they tried to break into that space.

Many games aren't all that incredibly profitable now and are subsidized by the insanely profitable ones like the Call of Dutys and Fortnites, and Battlefields as well as other microtransaction filled games. That's why all these third parties are shifting to games as a service. The market is heading that way without subscription services as it has been.

Look at Fifa, Madden, and NBA 2K. They've become dominated by microtransactions. The single player GTA DLC was canned for more microtransactions favoring online content. Fallout 76 happened. Games are moving in that direction regardless. Sony kinda benefits from being the last bastion of the AAA single player focused games but eventually they'll scale that back. It was a response to market conditions at the time they increased focus on it but they're giving up too much money with such a heavy focus on that.

Look at all the other publishers. Microtransactions make far more than selling the actual games.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Those games will be what make subscription services feasible in the Long term. It’s why nintendo isn’t doing it

Also, theres a reason why PC Players hold Steam in such high regard. People cherish their gaming libraries, if owning games didn’t matter why are more players still willing to buy games on steam rather than playing them on gamepass pc?

Why is GOG and Epic trying so hard and failing to get customers?

I wanted to hop in on this convo, but Gizmo is doing a great job addressing the points that are brought against him.

We know that this is the path that forward and it has benefits, the biggest one being initial accessibility, but in the long run most users will end up paying more as prices go up and content quality drops.

It is what it is.

When it gets to an unbearable point, I will just stop gaming.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Nintendo will live and die by their current business model. They are a platform where the majority of people are there for Nintendo games. A lot of the other content from third parties on the platform is shovelware. If anything the bigger threat to them is mobile which is why for a period they tried to break into that space.

Many games aren't all that incredibly profitable now and are subsidized by the insanely profitable ones like the Call of Dutys and Fortnites, and Battlefields as well as other microtransaction filled games. That's why all these third parties are shifting to games as a service. The market is heading that way without subscription services as it has been.

Look at Fifa, Madden, and NBA 2K. They've become dominated by microtransactions. The single player GTA DLC was canned for more microtransactions favoring online content. Fallout 76 happened. Games are moving in that direction regardless. Sony kinda benefits from being the last bastion of the AAA single player focused games but eventually they'll scale that back. It was a response to market conditions at the time they increased focus on it but they're giving up too much money with such a heavy focus on that.

Look at all the other publishers. Microtransactions make far more than selling the actual games.

I remember there was a time that you argued the opposite in a different thread. its good to see growth.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

I’m aware, which means the only reason why something like TLOU or God of War can exist is because sony needs those games to entice people to use their platform. If sony has no platform or they eventually end up a streaming platform why would they continue to invest loads of money into single player games?

If you don’t like those type of games anyway then this probably doesn’t concern you as much. But games that don’t adhere to the service models really have no reason to exist past a certain point, especially not with the type of budgets they have now. You can look at netflix, what was the last show on netflix you saw with a game of thrones or mandalorian budget?

Netflix started out with big budget shows like that and started eventually scaling down the more market position they gained. The other video streaming services will eventually do the same, hbo, apple, disney, etc.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I wanted to hop in on this convo, but Gizmo is doing a great job addressing the points that are brought against him.

We know that this is the path that forward and it has benefits, the biggest one being initial accessibility, but in the long run most users will end up paying more as prices go up and content quality drops.

It is what it is.

When it gets to an unbearable point, I will just stop gaming.

Pretty much. I stopped gaming before when the ps3/360 generation started getting saturated with FPS games and the only thing that brought me back into gaming was playstation 4 and the over abundance of single player. Once that stops being a thing i will happily retire again

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
And yes GAAS would exist, but they would exist within a bubble. Mostly shooters or sports games, now they are filtering out into single player games, where even JRPGS like Tales are charging people for exp boosters and creating artificial difficulty spikes to get you to buy them. people complain about bloat in games, but that bloat is there to keep you locked into games and its only gonna get worse as time goes on and they need you to keep re-upping that monthly sub.
But this has been the norm for most games long before Microsoft launched gamepass, and these publishers were finding success and raking in record breaking profits doing it.

I dont understand where yall got this idea that gamepass encourages or fosters those types of games. To me it sounds like you're trying to retroactively blame gamepass for the direction publishers have been heading in for the last 10 years just to flame a lame ass console war.

No sane person thinks gamepass is the reason Micro transactions exist in games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
But this has been the norm for most games long before Microsoft launched gamepass, and these publishers were finding success and raking in record breaking profits doing it.

I dont understand where yall got this idea that gamepass encourages or fosters those types of games. To me it sounds like you're trying to retroactively blame gamepass for the direction publishers have been heading in for the last 10 years just to flame a lame ass console war.

No sane person thinks gamepass is the reason Micro transactions exist in games.

Any type of reoccurring subscription model is going to play into keeping you locked into a service. You think peopel are gonna stay locked into a sony subscription service that launches 4 big single player games a year that can be completed over the course of 3-4 days? I already see sony starting to pivot into service games this generation and they aren’t gonna slow down because they know their current model won’t continue to work

anons-1.jpg

And again, i never said microsoft/gamepass created microstransactions or GAAS so im not even gonna continue addressing that

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps

Also, theres a reason why PC Players hold Steam in such high regard. People cherish their gaming libraries, if owning games didn’t matter why are more players still willing to buy games on steam rather than playing them on gamepass pc?

Why is GOG and Epic trying so hard and failing to get customers?
What game is being bought more on steam than being played free on game pass?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
And again, i never said microsoft/gamepass created microstransactions or GAAS so im not even gonna continue addressing that
Breh, that's literally the only point I commented on in this thread. I see yall blaming gamepass for that shyt all the time. Why quote me if that's not what you wanted to discuss?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What game is being bought more on steam than being played free on game pass?

Halo Infinite Campaign Once Again Tops the Steam Charts

Within 24 Hours, Forza Horizon 4 Tops Steam Charts!

Lets even say they AREN’T being played more on steam (we have no real way of knowing) theres still the fact that xbox games have a SIZABLE audience on the steam charts, in fact most of yall here brag about it

So tell me why would xbox game be blowing up the charts of steam if those same players could easily player them for practically nothing on gamepass pc?

There’s an major subsection of gamers that value ownership

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Breh, that's literally the only point I commented on in this thread. I see yall blaming gamepass for that shyt all the time. Why quote me if that's not what you wanted to discuss?

Gamepass created GAAS/MTX :hula: Because of the popularity of Gamepass and subscription services GAAS market will grow exponentially

I quoted you because you clearly misunderstood what the point of the thread was

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Gamepass created GAAS/MTX :hula: Because of the popularity of Gamepass and subscription services GAAS market will grow exponentially

I quoted you because you clearly misunderstood what the point of the thread was
None of y'all have ever explained how GaaS would grow because of services like gamepass. Yall keep saying that but cant explain how, GaaS have been growing exponentially without gamepass and theres nothing to show that gamepass has or will push more games in that direction.

SymbolicOne09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I felt this was a good discussion to have with netflix raising their price again for the 4th year in a row.

And I’m not even saying this on no console war shyt because i will apply the same to ubisoft and EA and soon to be Sony. I honestly think this shyt is for the birds. We saw everyone championing this shyt when it first started, “wow netflix is 12 dollars and you get all these award winning shows and classic tv :ooh:“ now this shyt is about to be 20 dollars a month if you want 4k, and honestly who doesn’t want 4k in 2022?

Thats 240 dollars a year, and most of us ain’t surviving off netflix alone. in my example i got crunchy roll, hulu, prime (comes with other benefits though), paramount+, Starz through amazon, and I’m probably forgetting one or two. Thats waaaay more than my cable plan with premium channels.

There’s gonna come a time when people are gonna justify 18-20 a month, (cheaper than a game, right?) on top DLC/MTX, then on top of the games that AINT included in the service. Then you’re gonna have more publishers like EA and Ubi and soon activision, capcom, SE, etc all making their own sub services, and if you want to play everything you’re gonna end up subbed to every game publisher playing shyt like conkers bad fur day, and lethal enforcers. They are just gonna fill all these services with bloat and have people gassed off the two games a month like netflix does with shows like squid game or cobra Kai, which honestly still isn’t top of the line tv.

And who knows what else finesse pubs are gonna think of, next up is NFT

Netflix is a long ways away from House of Cards and Bloodline. Why do you all want this? Isn’t it just easier to wait and buy games on sale? :dwillhuh:

Are you going to cancel your netflix subscription?:mjgrin:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Kinda funny they talk about this on Xcast today and they echo the same stuff i said in here, this is an xbox centric game channel mind you