Gaming Going Subscription Won’t Be Cheaper

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Online gaming was cool at first also, now it cost 60 dollars a year minimum just to play games online only on consoles… all this shyt scales

Once companies start using terms like “ecosystems” and then the consumers start using it I already know its a wrap. I realize I’m shouting at clouds

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
full
Do you really own your phone if... you have to keep paying the monthly bill? Where is all this leading?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm not being short-sighted, you just have this irrational fear of Microsoft. I'll take a guess and say you think they're trying to do away with your beloved single-player epics and turn everything into a GaaS :youngsabo:. They're destroying the auteur's vision. It ain't right, I tell you! It ain't right.

And yeah, i do think the type of games i specifically like will end up suffering under this model. The “one and dones” as yall call it will have lesser and lesser value on a service that profits from reoccurring charges like mtx and battle passes. We already see it happening

Theres almost no reason for them to exist if gaming becomes platform agnostic, or you can subscribe to play them once and cancel. I don’t expect a lot of people on here to care because a lot of you would probably be ok with not having as much single player games

We already saw microsoft try and double the price of their regular degular online service. the only reason they didn’t continue with it is because they don’t have market control. If they were the “netflix of gaming” like yall want them to be, no amount of typing on twitter would have gotten them to pivot on that.

The only power consumers have is spending power, its why something like cyberpunk became a meme, or EA changed Dragon Age 4 from a online service game back to a single player rpg. Because the market spoke through Anthem and Fallen Order sales.

You give up your buying power and you’re gonna get a lot more games you don’t want

Last edited:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
That's such an irrational fear. Subscription services will allow a variety of games.
Its also never made sense because games were heading in that direction since fortnite exploded, gamepass didn't cause that trend and the absence of gamepass wouldn't have done anything to stop it.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
If i were a kid and could afford to own those games i would have. I cant tell you how many times i went back to rent a game and had my saves erased.

Yall are exactly where they want you to be. They are in the “make everyone happy” customer acquisition phase.

Once you’re accustom to not owning games they will have full access to your gaming library to the point where you wont even be able to complain about them charging you more for bullshyt or taking off games you really like, or releasing half finished games because you won’t have control.

All those indies and 3rd party games you love will be on devolver or Annapurnas streaming service, just like how NBC and Disney took their shyt off netflix. It’s gonna be the same with every publisher

And worse, wait until Tencent, Embracer group, NetEase and all these other foreign companies launch their streaming services, they already own half the gaming industry and they aren’t gonna stop buying more

Embracer Group expected to acquire 35+ studios in the coming 12 months
I agree. Netflix did this shyt pretty well, and the same will happen in the gaming industry.
The Xbox folks in the thread so sensitive when OP has specifically said Sony will do the same shyt. And we all know Sony be on they bs so they definitely aren’t above reproach.
I really can’t stand the “pay me forever” type shyt these companies been on since Adobe Creative Cloud. I mean yea there’s value to be seen at the onset, but that’s usually only during the “make ‘em fat and happy” phase. Best believe they will continue raising the required coins in perpetuity, and in the end one will end up spending the same amount of money regardless of structure. These subscription mofos playing the long game

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Its also never made sense because games were heading in that direction since fortnite exploded, gamepass didn't cause that trend and the absence of gamepass wouldn't have done anything to stop it.

How is that true, what other company is dumping as much money into game rental service as microsoft? If not them, who would be doing it? Certainly not sony or nintendo, there is no other platform that could push that service model into the mainstream

Amazon and google already failed

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I agree. Netflix did this shyt pretty well, and the same will happen in the gaming industry.
The Xbox folks in the thread so sensitive when OP has specifically said Sony will do the same shyt. And we all know Sony be on they bs so they definitely aren’t above reproach.
I really can’t stand the “pay me forever” type shyt these companies been on since Adobe Creative Cloud. I mean yea there’s value to be seen at the onset, but that’s usually only during the “make ‘em fat and happy” phase. Best believe they will continue raising the required coins in perpetuity, and in the end one will end up spending the same amount of money regardless of structure. These subscription mofos playing the long game

Right, people complained because photoshop was like 500 dollars, but Adobe didn’t make half as much money because people would hold onto their one copy for a decade and the upgrade cost were relatively cheap. Thats not to mention the amount of people just straight up cracking it.

A company that size would not go subscription if they weren’t set to earn 10x’s the amount cutting people off from straight up buying it. They get 20 dollars a month from me forever now, I’ve already bought at least two copies of photoshop since they started the subscription/cloud services.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
And yeah, i do think the type of games i specifically like will end up suffering under this model. The “one and dones” as yall call it will have lesser and lesser value on a service that profits from reoccurring charges like mtx and battle passes. We already see it happening

Theres almost no reason for them to exist if gaming becomes platform agnostic, or you can subscribe to play them once and cancel. I don’t expect a lot of people on here to care because a lot of you would probably be ok with not having as much single player games

We already saw microsoft try and double the price of their regular degular online service. the only reason they didn’t continue with it is because they don’t have market control. If they were the “netflix of gaming” like yall want them to be, no amount of typing on twitter would have gotten them to pivot on that.

The only power consumers have is spending power, its why something like cyberpunk became a meme, or EA changed Dragon Age 4 from a online service game back to a single player rpg. Because the market spoke through Anthem and Fallen Order sales.

You give up your buying power and you’re gonna get a lot more games you don’t want
Under the blanket of a subscription service Psychonauts 2 was greatly expanded. Microsoft gave Double Fine more resources to better the game. Under subscription services people will take chances on games they'd never play normally. Word of mouth will carry far more weight. The point is to build a library that appeals to a wide audience. Single player games won't suffer they'll flourish because their impact can be far greater when people don't have to spend $60-$70 a pop on them. They become part of a larger tent of games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Under the blanket of a subscription service Psychonauts 2 was greatly expanded. Microsoft gave Double Fine more resources to better the game. Under subscription services people will take chances on games they'd never play normally. Word of mouth will carry far more weight. The point is to build a library that appeals to a wide audience. Single player games won't suffer they'll flourish because their impact can be far greater when people don't have to spend $60-$70 a pop on them. They become part of a larger tent of games.

There’s a difference between a single player game like Psychonauts which was crowdfunded and maybe had another half a mill dumped into it by Microsoft and a game like Ghost of Tsushima which was made for the sole purpose of attracting a certain audience to the platform.

Psychonauts 2 doesn’t even have physical copies. Even Kena has physicals

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps

The only power consumers have is spending power, its why something like cyberpunk became a meme, or EA changed Dragon Age 4 from a online service game back to a single player rpg. Because the market spoke through avengers and Fallen Order sales.

I'll concede the method of delivery influences things. We've definitely seen it with music streaming services. Albums with inflated, unfocused tracklists just to boost "engagement". So I agree that with increased volume comes more mediocrity. But I also see the upside of it with the a) artist/genre discoverability b)ease of access and c)shyt being less cost prohibitive. There's obvious filler on Game Pass you couldn't pay me to try but it's far outweighed by things I'm interested in. And in the event there's something I gotta play now, I just buy it. Deathloop and Hitman 3 are examples, both coming to GP. Same with video streaming services; I didn't wait for Spider-Man 3 to hit Disney+. Things can co-exist.

You keep looking at the negative :martin: and refuse to see how this model actually helps expand audiences. And truthfully it comes off as elitist "well, this how it's always been" type talk.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'll concede the method of delivery influences things. We've definitely seen it with music streaming services. Albums with inflated, unfocused tracklists just to boost "engagement". So I agree that with increased volume comes more mediocrity. But I also see the upside of it with the a) artist/genre discoverability b)ease of access and c)shyt being less cost prohibitive. There's obvious filler on Game Pass you couldn't pay me to try but it's far outweighed by things I'm interested in. And in the event there's something I gotta play now, I just buy it. Deathloop and Hitman 3 are examples, both coming to GP. Same with video streaming services; I didn't wait for Spider-Man 3 to hit Disney+. Things can co-exist.

You keep looking at the negative :martin: and refuse to see how this model actually helps expand audiences. And truthfully it comes off as elitist "well, this how it's always been" type talk.

Lets revisit this conversation by the end of this generation. The games yall point to as example have been in production since last gen, and some before their companies were even acquired.

In fact, I’m sure by 2025 we’ll have a better understanding of where the market is heading but the writing is on the wall. Like you said, Chris Brown didn’t drop those 40 song projects for no reason and certain playlist and artists advertised constantly aren’t random either. Everything will scale and the way the products are made will change with the market

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if both with music and video streaming that the market isn’t even more saturated and narrow than it was before. The DSP basically points you into one direction and thats where people go. Netflix has their top 10 that they automatically play when you log in and Spotify and apple pretty much litter their front page with big sony/Atlantic/warner artists. Long gone are the days where people searched for new music on datpiff or soundcloud, now everyone is indoctrinated into big streaming platforms

Those cute little indies that everyone loves don’t stand a chance when gaming goes full streaming

Last edited:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
How is that true, what other company is dumping as much money into game rental service as microsoft? If not them, who would be doing it? Certainly not sony or nintendo, there is no other platform that could push that service model into the mainstream

Amazon and google already failed
What do you mean? Subscription services had nothing to do with the rise of microtransactions and GaaS games. Alot of yall blame Microsoft and gamepass but that shyt was inevitable.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What do you mean? Subscription services had nothing to do with the rise of microtransactions and GaaS games. Alot of yall blame Microsoft and gamepass but that shyt was inevitable.

Those games will be what make subscription services feasible in the Long term. It’s why nintendo isn’t doing it

Also, theres a reason why PC Players hold Steam in such high regard. People cherish their gaming libraries, if owning games didn’t matter why are more players still willing to buy games on steam rather than playing them on gamepass pc?

Why is GOG and Epic trying so hard and failing to get customers?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Those games will be what make subscription services feasible in the Long term. It’s why nintendo isn’t doing it
Those games would exist even if subscription services didn't. Nintendo actually is doing the same thing with their legacy games, you have to pay a subscription to access nes and snes games, and you have to pay a premium on top of that to access anything else going forward.

Yall blaming Microsoft for shyt that's been in the works since EA introduced the battle pass for battlefield 3.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Those games would exist even if subscription services didn't. Nintendo actually is doing the same thing with their legacy games, you have to pay a subscription to access nes and snes games, and you have to pay a premium on top of that to access anything else going forward.

Yall blaming Microsoft for shyt that's been in the works since EA introduced the battle pass for battlefield 3.

Nintendo always had a virtual console, they just changed the method of giving you those games now that microsoft and sony changed, nintendo is scaling to the two bigger companies just a lot more slowly.

And yes GAAS would exist, but they would exist within a bubble. Mostly shooters or sports games, now they are filtering out into single player games, where even JRPGS like Tales are charging people for exp boosters and creating artificial difficulty spikes to get you to buy them. people complain about bloat in games, but that bloat is there to keep you locked into games and its only gonna get worse as time goes on and they need you to keep re-upping that monthly sub.