Gaming Going Subscription Won’t Be Cheaper

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
The fact digital games are also getting expensive WITH microtransactions is telling.

These players buying 2k DAY one for $70 and will be buying VC all year.

2k21 got me because I was stir crazy in 2020, but, I'll never spend money on VC again. :to:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
never doing publisher only subscriptions.

nikka THIS!!!!

that's what going on with tv now. Every studio wants a sub service. Nobody got time for that shyt. :stopitslime:

Only shyt I pay for it Netflix. I get HBOMax for free since I got AT&T Fiber service. I get basic Hulu for free with my Spotify subscription.

The rest of dem nikkaz (D+, Paramount Plus, BET Plus, Apple, Peacock etc.) can kick rocks. :camby:

You end up back to paying cable/satellite TV prices having dem shyts. Better off bundling your internet service back with cable/sat again.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
a big part of subscription services is also the convenience factor. I have a huge collection of CD's, and a digital music collection backed up on various HDD's, but it all just collects dust since I have Spotify

Daps
I haven’t replayed a game in years not sure if I ever have time to replay a game once I beat it. So if I “lose it” I don’t really care I got as much as I could out of it.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm not being short-sighted, you just have this irrational fear of Microsoft. I'll take a guess and say you think they're trying to do away with your beloved single-player epics and turn everything into a GaaS :youngsabo:. They're destroying the auteur's vision. It ain't right, I tell you! It ain't right.
That's such an irrational fear. Subscription services will allow a variety of games.

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
You cancel and you lose your games and all the money you spent on expansion DLC and In-game items turns into a pumpkin

Like if i had Ghost of Tsushima on ps plus++ and I cancel my sub then i lose my 20 dollar expansion dlc i paid for

There’s no way any of this is gonna lead to higher quality games
I think most people are done with a game after they beat it. Most ain’t revisiting the shyt. If u can beat GOT for $20 with all the DLCs , why would u pay $70? So u can play it again maybe one day? Just subscribe for the subscription again for another $20. Then u can have beat it twice for $40 instead of paying $70.

subscription service will work on games that aren’t annual games. Nobody paying 20 a month for all the cod games but for blockbuster AAA single player games, or really any single player game it’s a good deal

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
The amount of cool kids in this thread. :snoop:

This sentiment will be echoed by gamers. Ten years too late. Like always.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
I feel what you are saying with the wait and buy on sale shyt

but you explained something deeper which was bundles... thats gonna have to obviously be the next step for people... which will bring the cost down on single subscriptions for everyone else.

the 4k shyt is bullshyt too, 4k should be built in to everything at this point
but people need to complain and have companies join and bundle... I couldnt pay for multiple shyt like that

1 is good enough for me, but you're right its too spread out. Otherwise I dont see the problem in value if we are just talking about the service by itself
I dont believe 3rd party will be eliminated, but with that same logic you could wait for the other games to drop in price and have the subscription model games for a fraction of the cost regardless
You would spend thousands if you bought every game separate... or you could just pay for the price of online + a little more for streaming of the same shyt. Its just the different companies that doesn't make sense to me, all trying to exist at once charging multiple platforms

yearly subscription to go online is like what? 70$ ... you can get hundreds of games a year and online right now for 137$ ... thats the cost of just buying 1 game on top of paying for online

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I do agree that Sony does not have $240 a year worth of games released. So in that sense, yeah, I guess $20 a month would be more expensive.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You cancel and you lose your games and all the money you spent on expansion DLC and In-game items turns into a pumpkin

Like if i had Ghost of Tsushima on ps plus++ and I cancel my sub then i lose my 20 dollar expansion dlc i paid for

There’s no way any of this is gonna lead to higher quality games

Were you worried about owning those rented SNES, Sega and Playstation games back in the day from blockbuster? I doubt it, and the same goes for people today. I never once thought about how I didn't own a game when I loaded up sega channel each month and the games rotated out, and it cost 20 dollar a month. I didn't care then and I don't care now, most of those games I would have never tried nor would have spent the money on to own. But a lot of those games were great experiences.

The same goes for Gamepass and PS Now. And currently Gamepass blows PS now out the water, so if you are going to have one. Gamepass is the one to have and the one you get the most value out.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Were you worried about owning those rented SNES, Sega and Playstation games back in the day from blockbuster? I doubt it, and the same goes for people today. I never once thought about how I didn't own a game when I loaded up sega channel each month and the games rotated out, and it cost 20 dollar a month. I didn't care then and I don't care now, most of those games I would have never tried nor would have spent the money on to own. But a lot of those games were great experiences.

The same goes for Gamepass and PS Now. And currently Gamepass blows PS now out the water, so if you are going to have one. Gamepass is the one to have and the one you get the most value out.

If i were a kid and could afford to own those games i would have. I cant tell you how many times i went back to rent a game and had my saves erased.

Yall are exactly where they want you to be. They are in the “make everyone happy” customer acquisition phase.

Once you’re accustom to not owning games they will have full access to your gaming library to the point where you wont even be able to complain about them charging you more for bullshyt or taking off games you really like, or releasing half finished games because you won’t have control.

All those indies and 3rd party games you love will be on devolver or Annapurnas streaming service, just like how NBC and Disney took their shyt off netflix. It’s gonna be the same with every publisher

And worse, wait until Tencent, Embracer group, NetEase and all these other foreign companies launch their streaming services, they already own half the gaming industry and they aren’t gonna stop buying more

Embracer Group expected to acquire 35+ studios in the coming 12 months

Last edited: