Gamers really don't understand how the videogame industry work

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Dont really even get how its still xbox stans

Like beyond free shovelware games what is the incentive for owning this console. Im truly perplexed :mindblown:

Is being able to play shyt like hi fi rush and forza really worth these clowns undying allegiance :dead:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:jbhmm:

Interesting take. Makes you wonder what and who is gamepass bad for? Devs like it, gamers like it but for some reason it's going to run the industry and change how ganes are made. As if that isn't the natural order of things and it's not going to happen anyway.

Game Pass is bad for major third party publishers who don't want to exist in Microsoft's walled garden and publish games that can sustain themselves.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
I don’t even know who that is.

If your development studio is unknown, of course you’d beg to get on Gamepass.

:snooze:
That's what is for, smaller studios and first party titles, they will always be deals with third party publishers and some will post some of their old catalogue on their own but MS obviously wants to build a firsts party library as content for GP.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Damn Meach and titan working hard in here :picard:

It’s obvious that “Xbots” are just scorned “Sony stans”

Daps
I would only play cod if it was on gamepass

There is nothing special about it for me to buy it every year but it would be cool to play when friends visit

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I'm not listening to some indie dev. Hell yeah Game Pass works for them. They're going to get a solid check for games that would end up lost in the indie game shuffle, along with exposure. Now here's what I know about business. You just can't give products that you put a obscene amounts of money into, onto a subscription service where people are only paying $10 a month, and the install base isn't anywhere near what it needs to be, to cut checks for those big games. And will never be anywhere near what it needs to be. It sounds like Microsoft is the one who doesn't understand how the video game industry works, and wants to force it to be what they want to be with Game Pass. Meanwhile, Sony and Nintendo are outselling them, without whoring out their content.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm not listening to some indie dev. Hell yeah Game Pass works for them. They're going to get a solid check for games that would end up lost in the indie game shuffle, along with exposure. Now here's what I know about business. You just can't give products that you put a obscene amounts of money into, onto a subscription service where people are only paying $10 a month, and the install base isn't anywhere near what it needs to be, to cut checks for those big games. And will never be anywhere near what it needs to be. It sounds like Microsoft is the one who doesn't understand how the video game industry works, and wants to force it to be what they want to be with Game Pass. Meanwhile, Sony and Nintendo are outselling them, without whoring out their content.
Quick math 25 million subs is a lot of money.

3 billion dollars a year can fund lots of games.

And the bolded is just false. Pretty much all media is available on some type of subscription service these days.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The product is not the individual game it’s the service itself.

Microsoft prints money. They can make games at a loss in perpetuity while their core business eats those losses and still prints money.

Their gamble is eventually either they can divorce the service from the hardware and expand the potential customer base or they can make a service with compelling games that offers customers such a value proposition they subscribe.

Microsoft’s entire business is software as a service. Why wouldn’t they evolve to bring that approach to gaming? Especially when the selling of additional content for games typically produces more revenue that the selling of the actual games?

Mobile gaming is far more valuable than console gaming and the predominant model there is free to play. Other business models besides selling people $70 games can work.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Quick math 25 million subs is a lot of money.

3 billion dollars a year can fund lots of games.

And the bolded is just false. Pretty much all media is available on some type of subscription service these days.

The bolded is all cap. The reality is that probably outside of Spotify and Apple Music, every subscription service is not making money. They are all looking at ways to actually make a profit down the line. That's the fact. Microsoft is not immune and it's why Sony and Nintendo don't just give things away. So what if Microsoft is making $3 billion a year when they have to give it away.