Game of Thrones Season 3 Niccas!!!!! *Storms Swords*

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
The enemies were other black people.

AND?

Wars are always along lines of differences. Somehow, you want different groups to ignore their differences amongst each other because they're the same hue. :heh:

Just dumb. They didn't see their enemies as black. They saw them as an opposing group. Whites saw them as black and exploited that, idiot.

Either way, nothing changes about how that scene played out and the way we articulated it.

Amazing how some of you can't tell the difference between the "white savior" complex and "racism."

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
AND?

Wars are always along lines of differences. Somehow, you want different groups to ignore their differences amongst each other because they're the same hue. :heh:

Just dumb. They didn't see their enemies as black. They saw them as an opposing group. Whites saw them as black and exploited that, idiot.

Either way, nothing changes about how that scene played out and the way we articulated it.

Amazing how some of you can't tell the difference between the "white savior" complex and "racism."

I see the Dany story line more as Christian allegory (and other Messianic figures) than"white savior" complex. Take the two most popular stories from the 2 testaments, Moses and Jesus, mash them up and you have Dany. If you want to argue that Christianity is based on the "white savior" complex (the pope did change jesus's image after all) than that's something for another thread.

If you're going to make the argument that the white savior or nice white lady/man trope has engrained itself into Hollywood so much that GRRM used it without really forcing it I'd agree with you.

But the way cats are talking here it's like the guy went out of his way to juxtapose Dany against all of these dark skinned people in order to show white superiority.

I'll take the first argument...but the second is :flabbynsick:

Sidenote: No need to name call. If you want to have an intelligent conversation about this anyway. And don't give me a history lesson on slavery. My family comes from the capital of the Atlantic slave trade. Cape Verde. My ancestors were the slaves, the slave traders, and the people who did the negotiating/translating. I've done plenty of research on the topic. I can trace back my family directly to the Lancados who did the majority of the negotiating between the traders. I've been to the slave markets on the islands. I could damn near write a thesis on the subject.

NYC Rebel

Daps
I see the Dany story line more as Christian allegory (and other Messianic figures) than"white savior" complex. Take the two most popular stories from the 2 testaments, Moses and Jesus, mash them up and you have Dany. If you want to argue that Christianity is based on the "white savior" complex (the pope did change jesus's image after all) than that's something for another thread.

If you're going to make the argument that the white savior or nice white lady/man trope has engrained itself into Hollywood so much that GRRM used it without really forcing it I'd agree with you.

But the way cats are talking here it's like the guy went out of his way to juxtapose Dany against all of these dark skinned people in order to show white superiority.

I'll take the first argument...but the second is :flabbynsick:

Sidenote: No need to name call. If you want to have an intelligent conversation about this anyway. And don't give me a history lesson on slavery. My family comes from the capital of the Atlantic slave trade. Cape Verde. My ancestors were the slaves, the slave traders, and the people who did the negotiating/translating. I've done plenty of research on the topic. I can trace back my family directly to the Lancados who did the majority of the negotiating between the traders. I've been to the slave markets on the islands. I could damn near write a thesis on the subject.

I found someone with my last name in the slave archives. He was taken from Nigeria to Cuba in 1818 and then later to Liberia. :sad:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I found someone with my last name in the slave archives. He was taken from Nigeria to Cuba in 1818 and then later to Liberia. :sad:

Ya shyt's crazy. Now just imagining knowing that your blood line not only has slave owners and slaves...but also the people they sent to Africa (usually of mixed heritage) to negotiate/trick the tribes into selling their enemies/people into slavery. Thinking most of the time that they were selling to a fellow African.

But to get back to the Christian allegory thing. Allegory was huge in Medieval times. And look at the way that the news of Dany having dragons and freeing slaves are spreading like a myth/legend to the people of Westeros.

But again. I'll concede that the "white person comes to save the day" trope has been used so much that it's become ingrained in story telling. But I just wouldn't expect GRRM to be one to use it. He's constantly subverting tried/true story telling techniques and tropes. And that's why people hate him so much. Most of the time he gives them exactly the opposite of what they come to expect.

And we may get some black people soon on the show. this isn't really a spoiler but some may consider it one
The city of Dorne is based on the Moors and their invasion/occupying of Spain

DLeap

Coli TV/Film Expert
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
THINGS THAT NEED TO BE ADDRESSED IN SEASON 4:

1. What exactly are the White Walkers waiting on? Sam made it to the Wall while dragging a dimwit and a baby along, and this was AFTER he chilled Craster's spot for days. They should have been there by now.

2. Exactly how many Nights Watch are there? They look like about 20 dudes, tops. And of lot of them were slaughtered at Craster's spot. Hardly enough to defend the wall.

3. Stannis couldn't even foresee Wildfire or get past the gate at Kings Landing, so we supposed to believe he's gonna do any better against supernatural white walkers?

4. Are we to believe that these actors in their mid-late 20s are really 12-16 years old?

5. We've had 4 or 5 weddings on the show so far, the last one was epic, but enough's enough. Can we skip the next 3 on deck so it doesn't feel like we're watching the TLC network?

6. Why exactly should we give a fukk about Theon being rescued? Because he was tortured? But he killed mad innocent people at Winterfell, including burning the bodies of two little boys and hanging them in the air...

7. Little Finger is one of your best characters, why have him disappear for half the season?

Made Man

All Star
Daps
:dahell:

Some of yall go overboad with looking for racism in anything.

Dany is form Westeros which is a predominantly white continent(Europe).

She was exiled to Essos which is predominantly people of color(Middle East/Africa).

She's conquereing cities and freeing slaves in ESSOS . What color did you think they would be? It's really that simple. Would you prefer Grey Worm freeing them?

It's not like she's saving them from whitey the plantation owner. These are Black/Arab men owning slaves. There is no racial undertone in this. Honestly i believe it's a brillant tactic to gain faithful followers and also have some support when she gets back home.

Also, did we forget that the seven kingdoms outlawed slavery? That will look great on her resume when the seven kingdoms realizes she's still alive and freeing slaves a continent away. They will be more acceptable to her claim to the throne.

NYC Rebel

Daps
:dahell:

Some of yall go overboad with looking for racism in anything.

:mindblown:

Who is looking for "racism"?

We called the LAST SCENE a demonstration of the "white savior complex"

The racial undertone of a white person coming to save black and brown skinned people is more than prominent. It's clear as the picture on the screen.

Made Man

All Star
Daps
:mindblown:

Who is looking for "racism"?

We called the LAST SCENE a demonstration of the "white savior complex"

Ok how about looking for racial undertones. Is that better? I think there would be more of an argument if ALL of the men of color were depicted as some uneducated savages or criminals. This is not the case with this show.

NYC Rebel

Daps
Ok how about looking for racial undertones. Is that better? I think there would be more of an argument if ALL of the men of color were depicted as some uneducated savages or criminals. This is not the case with this show.
'

But no one made THAT argument. I don't know how there's an actual argument whether or not if that was another case of the white savior complex being displayed again. it seems pretty clear. Telling us to put aside the racial undertones is basically telling us to keep our brains from functioning. Just say you opt to ignore it rather than disqualify what we're seeing based on it being played over and over again throughout watching television or movies all our lives.

Made Man

All Star
Daps
'

But no one made THAT argument. I don't know how there's an actual argument whether or not if that was another case of the white savior complex being displayed again. it seems pretty clear. Telling us to put aside the racial undertones is basically telling us to keep our brains from functioning. Just say you opt to ignore it rather than disqualify what we're seeing based on it being played over and over again throughout watching television or movies all our lives.

I agree with there being racial undertones in alot of television and movies. And i dont ignore them, but for this instance im just looking it within the context of the story. The better argument to me would be why couldn't the Targs be black since they didnt originate from Westeros. But IDC its the writer's story and he gnna write it how he wants:manny:. Whether Dany is black,white,asian or hispanic most of the time those people she saved would be black/arab because of the location within the story.

Edit: Now if she was saving Blacks and Arabs in Kings Landing:usure:

Commander in Chiefin

Passing blunts and bills $$$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Green Party

1. What exactly are the White Walkers waiting on? Sam made it to the Wall while dragging a dimwit and a baby along, and this was AFTER he chilled Craster's spot for days. They should have been there by now.

2. Exactly how many Nights Watch are there? They look like about 20 dudes, tops. And of lot of them were slaughtered at Craster's spot. Hardly enough to defend the wall.

3. Stannis couldn't even foresee Wildfire or get past the gate at Kings Landing, so we supposed to believe he's gonna do any better against supernatural white walkers?

4. Are we to believe that these actors in their mid-late 20s are really 12-16 years old?

5. We've had 4 or 5 weddings on the show so far, the last one was epic, but enough's enough. Can we skip the next 3 on deck so it doesn't feel like we're watching the TLC network?

6. Why exactly should we give a fukk about Theon being rescued? Because he was tortured? But he killed mad innocent people at Winterfell, including burning the bodies of two little boys and hanging them in the air...

7. Little Finger is one of your best characters, why have him disappear for half the season?

:what:

So HBO should rewrite the storylines and recast the actors ??? :mindblown:

:snoop:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I agree with there being racial undertones in alot of television and movies. And i dont ignore them, but for this instance im just looking it within the context of the story. The better argument to me would be why couldn't the Targs be black since they didnt originate from Westeros. But IDC its the writer's story and he gnna write it how he wants:manny:. Whether Dany is black,white,asian or hispanic most of the time those people she saved would be black/arab because of the location within the story.

Edit: Now if she was saving Blacks and Arabs in Kings Landing:usure:

As I said about 20 pages ago, if they made the Targs black someone would complain because Dany was a slave girl. Also "the mad king" Aerys II Targaryen wouldn't have set well with people, for obvious reasons.

The only reason it's ok now to say "Dany should've been black" is this scene would've looked more PC. But 2 seasons ago? When Dany was getting border line raped by Khal Drogo and pimped out by her brother? Forget about it. This conversation would've been 1000x worse.

Fred.

Made Man

All Star
Daps
As I said about 20 pages ago, if they made the Targs black someone would complain because Dany was a slave girl. Also "the mad king" Aerys II Targaryen wouldn't have set well with people, for obvious reasons.

The only reason it's ok now to say "Dany should've been black" is this scene would've looked more PC. But 2 seasons ago? When Dany was getting border line raped by Khal Drogo and pimped out by her brother? Forget about it. This conversation would've been 1000x worse.

Fred.

Well she wasn't a slave. :heh: Just beacuse she felt like a slave does'nt mean she was one. She was married off for political reasons just like the lanisters,starks,tyrells and all those families.

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Finally a post about the actual show :blessed:

1.personally I dont even give a shyt about the whole white walker story.i bet it getssome type of corny ending with Bran defeating them all before they make it to the wall and everyone will go on thinking walkers arent real

2.im guessing thousands or at the very least hundreds. I doubt its only 20 tho...that would be dumb as hell

3.i agree :heh: I just look at Stannis' story as filler at this point, like seroiusly what the fukk is he doing :leostare:

4.i said the same thing :snoop: I had no idea Rob was suppose to be like 17 when he died :heh: and Dany is suppose to be like 16 too :heh: im glad the show never mentions their age and hired adult actors cause I couldnt imagine kids playing these roles

5.No

6.Yea I dont give a shyt about Reek either but kinda interested in seeing where his story goes :ld:

7.fukk littlefinger...hes not important