Game of Thrones - "House Of The Dragon" Official Threads (NO SPOILERS....ZERO)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
If Targaryens we're supposed to be black Grrm would've made them black

Y'all don't find it funny that those books started 26 years ago and GRRM is just now throwing out this "they were supposed to be black " shyt?

Grrm is hopping on the coulda woulda shoulda pander to black folks wave just like everyone else
I disagree. He said it in the 90s if I remember correctly. I remember seeing it in a Q&A that was posted on the Westeros site, but can't find it now. He wanted there to be a clear, distinct difference between them and Westeros but ultimately decided their purple eyes and ability to withstand heat would be enough to achieve that. If there's one thing about Martin, he doesn't give a fukk about the modern pandering culture. He's just an old white nerd who likes fantasy stuff. I'd imagine some racist fans will be mad about the next thing he's doing, which is helping a black woman adapt her fantasy series into an HBO show. But even that is him just liking the shyt, not saying "I need to do black stuff."

Last edited:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I disagree. He said it in the 90s if I remember correctly. I remember seeing it in a Q&A that was posted on the Westeros site, but can't find it now. He wanted there to be a clear, distinct difference between them and Westeros but ultimately decided their purple eyes and ability to withstand heat would be enough to achieve that. If there's one thing about Martin, he doesn't give a fukk about the modern pandering culture. He's just an old white nerd who likes fantasy stuff. I'd imagine some racist fans will be mad about the next thing he's doing, which is helping a black woman adapt her fantasy series into an HBO show. But even that is him just like the shyt, not saying "I need to do black stuff."
If anybody can provide proof he initially said it in the 90s I'll concede :manny:

And I don't put pandering past anybody :manny:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Fa5Duh4XkAAp5L7

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Nah, look at their historic rivals and you'll see the truth.

House Stark was cold and ruthless, but control of the north was contested primarily between them and House Bolton. There were other kings, like the Umbers/Ryders/Dustins/Flints/Frosts/Towers but they were smaller realms.

Boltons were the main counter-power and we've seen how Roose and Ramsay get down.

Stark primacy saved the north from rulers of their ilk, hence the loyalty.

Stark rule is typified by harsh but fair. Bolton rule is typified by blood, bile and cruelty.

And for the record, the ugly truth of how they consolidated the north doesn't change the fact that the Stark lineage is the simultaneously both one of the most magically potent and historically ancient of all the houses, barring maybe House Reed and Hightower/Dayne respectively.
The Starks consolidating the North was still a power move. Yes, they brought order and control, but you could use that same logic for damn near every conqueror. Look how long the 7 realms were at war before Aegon conquered and consolidated the 7 kingdoms under his reign. Look at how long the first men were at war before the Andal invasion came and United the Southern Realms under the faith. Everyone becomes “cool” with the order of things after conquest. So yeah, many of the Northern houses have ancient fealty to the Starks, but that’s what happens when you get conquered and come to accept control. It’s Stockholm syndrome. Yes, their ancient connections to the old magic gives them “rights of conquest” by the old gods, but same could be said for the Targaryens as well. The eastern magic, dragon dreams, prophecy can all be used to stake the Targs claim and give them honor. And besides, we all know that having those magical connections doesn’t always equate to moral superiority. Magic is dangerous in this world. Power is dangerous in this world. The Starks ancient customs and secrets are morally grey just like everyone else in the realm. Fair? It’s all relative and depends on your angle. Everyone morally grey. I don’t see the Starks without fault or completely honourable. They have southern ambitions from time to time and they choose their sides. Like old Nan said “Those men did terrible things, and they were Starks, every last one of them.”

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
So far Daemon looks like the new Joffrey the character the whole fandom hates.
Daemon looks cool and is a bit manlier than Joff but he is still a psycho