Game of Thrones - "House Of The Dragon" Official Threads (NO SPOILERS....ZERO)

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
1661199072762.png

Daps
So the queen was a Targ too but how was she related to Vicerys? I'm assuming she wasn't their sister since Daemon never mentioned that. Was she a cousin?

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
So the queen was a Targ too but how was she related to Vicerys? I'm assuming she wasn't their sister since Daemon never mentioned that. Was she a cousin?
First cousin.

Her mother was a Targaryen and her father was an Arryn.

Her mother and Viserys and Daemon's father (and mother:mjlol::mjgrin: )were siblings, children of the Old King Jaehaerys.

Daps
First cousin.

Her mother was a Targaryen and her father was an Arryn.

Her mother and Viserys and Daemon's father (and mother:mjlol::mjgrin: )were siblings, children of the Old King Jaehaerys.

I didn't realize that Jaehaerys was their grandfather.

Well if that's the case, then why was their an issue around the succession? :what:

If Jaehaerys eldest son died but had a son of his own, then that son is their heir. It goes from father to eldest son to his eldest son.

The same way Jon Snow is the heir moreso than Daenarys because he is the eldest son (well, surviving son) of the mad kings eldest son Rhaegar.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp

Well if that's the case, then why was their an issue around the succession? :what:

If Jaehaerys eldest son died but had a son of his own, then that son is their heir. It goes from father to eldest son to his eldest son.

The same way Jon Snow is the heir moreso than Daenarys because he is the eldest son (well, surviving son) of the mad kings eldest son Rhaegar.

To be fair, no one knew for sure that Jon Snow was the son of Rhaegar except Bran & Sam. From a practical standpoint, even then the proof wasn't necessarily concrete since Bran is a weirdo & Sam read between the lines from text at the Citadel. Jon Snow had all the physical features of a Stark as well.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Yup, it's byke. I def felt like people like my parents - who had some qualms about the last couple seasons but were more into the spectacle and violence of it - outweighed the people who hated the season and will never come back. Also based on that premier it's way closer to original Thrones than the later seasons. So far at least. The dragons and fukkery are coming tho...

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps

Aemon was The Old King's oldest living son. Aemon only had ONE child. His daughter Rhaeneys.

Baelon was the Old King's second oldest living son. He had two sons. Viserys and Daemon.

So the issue was should the throne pass to the heir's only child (Rhaeneys), or skip her and instead pass to the heir's brother (Baelon).

It's like asking if Winterfell should pass to Sansa or Benjen if all of Ned's other kids are dead.

Based on common succession laws, it should have passed to Rhaeneys. This is what everyone expected when Rhaeneys was growing up. Her grandmother Queen Alysanne commonly refered to her as "our queen to be."

But when Aemon died, Jaehaerys instead chose Baelon to be his heir.

Jaehaery's wife Queen Alysaane was so furious at the decision that she left Jaehaerys and went to live on Dragonstone.

Then Baelon died.

So the issue came up again.

Rhaeneys and her line, her claim coming from being the only child of the eldest son, a claim that favored primogeniture.

Or Viserys and his line, his claim coming from being the first born male from the second eldest son, a claim that favored male primogeniture.

Corlys raised an army in defense of his wife’s claim.

Daemon raised an army in defense of his brother’s claim.

Jaehaerys called a great council to let them decide.

Last edited:
Daps
Aemon was The Old King's oldest living son. Aemon only had ONE child. His daughter Rhaeneys.

Baelon was the Old King's second oldest living son. He had two sons. Viserys and Daemon.

So the issue was should the throne pass to the heir's only child, or skip her and instead pass to the heir's brother.

It's like asking if Winterfell should pass to Sansa or Benjen if all of Ned's other kids are dead.

Based on common succession laws, it should have passed to Rhaeneys. This is what everyone expected when Rhaeneys was growing up. Her grandmother Queen Alysanne commonly refered to her as "our queen to be."

But when Aemon died, Jaehaerys instead chose Baelon to be his heir.

Jaehaery's wife Queen Alysaane was so furious at the decision that she left Jaehaerys and went to live on Dragonstone.

Then Baelon died.

So the issue came up again.

Rhaeneys and her line, directly descendent from the oldest male, favoring primogeniture.

Or Baelon and his line, favoring male primogeniture.

Jaehaerys, called a great council to let them decide.

Thank you for breaking this down! I wish they would have made it clearer on the show.

I thought that they was the old kings distant relatives like cousins or something that he decided to leave it to cause his direct line died out. They leave it way too open on the show.