Game of Thrones - "House Of The Dragon" Official Threads (NO SPOILERS....ZERO)

Jorvan

All Star
Daps
Great episode. The really improved on the characters of Daemon and Viserys and gave them more nuance in comparison to the book, where it was harder to get a clear read on them. Some minor things, there's some great show-not-tell moments like with Coryls refusing the drink and Rhaenyra silently figuring out that something had happened to her mother. That Aemma scene was also tough to watch as well, but incredibly well-acted and well-written. Overall, this show was as good as I expected it to be. I would recommend that if you haven't read Fire and Blood and don't plan on it, I would avoid looking up any of the characters as its very easy to get spoiled on what's about to happen. The trailers are actually very deceptive in a good way.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
This isn't the case during Fire & Blood. The Lannisters had little to no role in the governing of the realm during the first 100 years of Targaryen rule. It grows later on, and by the end of the war sure the Lannisters are in a higher position than some families that will fall. But it hasn't gotten to that point yet and right now they're firmly behind the Hightowers, Velaryons, and Baratheons in the south.
What? Breh, just look at their hand.

They're on top of goldmines that have gave out gold and silver veins for millenia.
They're wardens of the west, which means they get taxes from the rest of the west, which are famous for their precious mineral veins.

They're the masters of Lannisport, which means they're the only family to rule an entire realm(the wealthiest one at that)+ sit on literal gold mines and take in the wealth of customs/taxes of a major port city.

There's no way that any of those houses you named are a patch on the lions of the west.

Hightower might have the wealth but not the manpower base. Same for Velaryons and definitely for the Baratheons.
The latter two don't even have a true city under their power, and no Spice Town doesn't compare to Lannisport, the third biggest city on the continent.

They might be more politically favored right now because with dragons Valyrian ancestry is key, but none of them have the power of House Lannister... and I don't even like those blonde dikkheads.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Nah.

I can acknowledge the budget increased in the original show but they never poured it into the costumes.

It went into dragons and moronic battle strategies.

What are the colors of House Stark?

House Bolton?

House Tully?

House Arryn?

Why did nobody ever wear anything that told you who they were affiliated with?
Sansa didn't even get a grey and white coronation gown.

If I watched the original show, I'd assume House Starks colors were mud and brown.

The only houses that somehow got their colors across were Lannisters and Tyrells. Everyone else was just bleh.
i mean those details were in there, robert and renly had antler crowns, tywin and cersei both wore a lot of red and gold, starks had their wolves and grey and black on them when it made sense (most of them couldn't rep house stark for the majority of their arcs), boltons had flayed men on their shields, knights of the vale had those birds, olenna and margery wore lots of green (house tyrell), etc. the OG story incorporated a lot of house sigils and colors, it's hard to remember as the show intentionally darkened everyone's look season by season over the last 2-3 seasons but all that detail was there

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The bolded would make no narrative sense whatsoever.

Dany was FAR removed from her Targaryen heritage for majority of her life. She was hidden in Pentos in adolescence where she COULDNT rock colors. Then beyond that she was far more inline with the Dothraki and the Mereenese ways of life. It would be goofy as hell for her to be wearing ornate red/black robes in the middle of the desert. Not even in the books did she dress like a traditional Targ.

And for Sansa, she's a Stark. They aren't for pomp in the same way that the southern houses are. The Lannisters, Targaryens, Baratheons and Hightowers were the big political powers in the land for centuries followed up then by the Tyrells. So THEY always wore sigils and emblems to display the power of their name and lineage. Robert would say it all the time that even goofy ass Lannister 2nd cousins would be walking around in gold and red. It was a way people said "IM DOWN". There were PLENTY of times family sigils and banners were displayed. Mostly in times of war, when it actually matters. But the Lannisters were PERPETUALLY in political scheming and proxy war...so they PERPETUALLY wore their colors.

You didn't really need to do that in the North. No one cared. It's a simpler place and everyone respected the Starks for their deeds and temperance.
In the books, they're all always wearing their family colors.
Starks/Lannisters/Baratheons/etc.

I get Daenerys in Meereen not rocking her colors like that.
But seasons 7+8 should've been all Nwo wolfpack colors as again, it's propaganda for her campaign.

It's literally a point of pride.

The north you're describing is a b*stardized north that doesn't sync with canon.

I don't understand why I'm getting flack for saying the two dudes who flubbed the ending of the biggest show in the world because they were checked out, also didn't bother with certain aspects of a world they mined for shock value.

Dany forgot about the iron fleet is what they said.

Baelish did nonsensical ish n then got his throat cut.

Varys teleported around a whole season.

And you think they cared about getting the minute details right? Lmao

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
i mean those details were in there, robert and renly had antler crowns, tywin and cersei both wore a lot of red and gold, starks had their wolves and grey and black on them when it made sense (most of them couldn't rep house stark for the majority of their arcs), boltons had flayed men on their shields, knights of the vale had those birds, olenna and margery wore lots of green (house tyrell), etc. the OG story incorporated a lot of house sigils and colors, it's hard to remember as the show intentionally darkened everyone's look season by season over the last 2-3 seasons but all that detail was there
We're gonna have to agree to disagree.

The only time sigils mattered in the original was when banners were shown or shields were seen.

Aside from the Tyrells in green and gold and Lannisters in red and gold(Tywin himself wore black/burgundy more than anything else) almost nobody else bothered.

The Greyjoys armor was brown and grey, yet their colors are gold and Grey's.

Maybe the hands of hbo was stingy when it came to the budget but even by the end, it was nothing but black and greys. I'll leave yall to it

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Yeah the lannisters are always stacked in terms of gold. Fun fact though: due to his seven voyages across the world, Corlys Velaryon and the velaryon house is richer than the lannisters at that time.
Yep, but its not like they dwarf them.

Plus the Lannisters can still drown them in armored bodies easily.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
George specifically asked that they put more emphasis on this in HotD.

"House of the Dragon" co-showrunners Miguel Sapochnik and Ryan Condal said there were three things Martin asked to have included: Colorful dragons, an emphasis on bright heraldry, and the addition of King Jaehaerys Targaryen II.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
George specifically asked that they put more emphasis on this in HotD.

"House of the Dragon" co-showrunners Miguel Sapochnik and Ryan Condal said there were three things Martin asked to have included: Colorful dragons, an emphasis on bright heraldry, and the addition of King Jaehaerys Targaryen II.

Effing thank you.

Got isn't a trash heap but it wasn't Asoiaf done right imo.

And the heraldry and sigils/ talbards etc is a huge selling point for the world.

It's the twilight team jacob/Edward rivalry turned up to 1000.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Depends, why did Otto send his daughter to the Kings chamber ?

I thought he made it clear that he was sending her in to start working on being his replacement wife, or your standard influential mistress.

Great episode. The really improved on the characters of Daemon and Viserys and gave them more nuance in comparison to the book, where it was harder to get a clear read on them. Some minor things, there's some great show-not-tell moments like with Coryls refusing the drink and Rhaenyra silently figuring out that something had happened to her mother. That Aemma scene was also tough to watch as well, but incredibly well-acted and well-written. Overall, this show was as good as I expected it to be. I would recommend that if you haven't read Fire and Blood and don't plan on it, I would avoid looking up any of the characters as its very easy to get spoiled on what's about to happen. The trailers are actually very deceptive in a good way.

Yeah, it was nice seeing small things like that that help you build up what the characters are, and start to see them from multiple angles.

Corlys really didn't have a ton of lines in this episode, but they've already established that he's all business, possibly to a fault. And in that one scene, you see that while Rhaenyra has been overlooked and shut out of being an heir, she has also clearly been living a bit of a charmed existence while being shielded from the harsher parts of courtly life.

I also liked that they just got Viserys passing down the prophecy as quick as they did. It immediately gives you an insight into how he could be as disconnected from the clear issues his court has, and would be so obsessed with succession, instead of holding that for some late or second season reveal that is supposed to make you retroactively justify his actions.

Like if this thread is going to be a nostalgia circle jerk of the first series I'll pass on participating. I understand we always have to compare shyt but can we talk about the actual show that's out in 2022?

Yeah, brehs in here still mad about a show that ended three years ago. Time to let that shirt go so people can discuss THIS show in peace.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Effing thank you.

Got isn't a trash heap but it wasn't Asoiaf done right imo.

And the heraldry and sigils/ talbards etc is a huge selling point for the world.

It's the twilight team jacob/Edward rivalry turned up to 1000.
maybe to a book reader...the OG show did a good job of having people wear their colors/sigils, now if it was literally intertwined into everything described in the book, ah well, that's where the book and the interpolation as a show diverge.

we're also in a different point in history of more opulence and prosperity where wanting more color makes sense, especially since the team made everything so dark by season 7

as for the OG. i don't see where arya, sansa, bran, or jon could've been decked in stark shyt other than the first few episodes and after they united in season 7 - which sansa did rock her stark shyt

cersei literally has a bright red gown prior to the walk of shame, dark red after returning to the keep as the team intentionally darkened the colors and everyone was in black by season 7/8

dany - couldn't rock targ shyt but when she touched down on dragonstone she looked like a targ

i'm not seeing the issue, again, i'm not a book reader, but as a show watcher, i felt there was enough of a nod to each house for me to know who and what was what

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
What? Breh, just look at their hand.

They're on top of goldmines that have gave out gold and silver veins for millenia.
They're wardens of the west, which means they get taxes from the rest of the west, which are famous for their precious mineral veins.

They're the masters of Lannisport, which means they're the only family to rule an entire realm(the wealthiest one at that)+ sit on literal gold mines and take in the wealth of customs/taxes of a major port city.

There's no way that any of those houses you named are a patch on the lions of the west.

Hightower might have the wealth but not the manpower base. Same for Velaryons and definitely for the Baratheons.
The latter two don't even have a true city under their power, and no Spice Town doesn't compare to Lannisport, the third biggest city on the continent.

They might be more politically favored right now because with dragons Valyrian ancestry is key, but none of them have the power of House Lannister... and I don't even like those blonde dikkheads.

I'm just telling you what the books and author say. They had no power or influence in the court until the war started, and by the end they have moved up the rankings of houses. At the start of this show, they aren't the richest house. That would be the Velaryons.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing. The end result of the war is that the Lannisters make a come up lol.