Game of Thrones - "House Of The Dragon" Official Threads (NO SPOILERS....ZERO)

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Vhagar on some bully shyt…I don’t fukk with it.

I’m hoping that dragon Daemon was singing too tears that old bytch to pieces

That's on Aemond being a goof. He had no intention of it going that far but he's so fukked up from his brother and nephew fukkin with him as a kid that he'll do anything for some get-back on them.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
It wasn't a misunderstanding. Alicent is literally taking it as the king's dying wish to install Aegon as king. But also remember, an Rhaenys explained this to Alicent. Women are NOT empowered to be decision makers in Westeros. As she said "why don't YOU want the throne, why give it to your ain't shyt son?"
Alicent and to a certain extent Rhaneyra are all subject to the wills of MEN. So when Alicent thinks that the king wants his SON to follow him...she runs with it. When Rhae dares to show restraint, in opposition to her uncle/husband, she gets hemmed up for it. AND SHE A QUEEN.
That was the misunderstanding. Vizzy was talking about something else and she misunderstood what he meant. I agree with everything else you're saying, but making it a misunderstanding is such a cheap cop out. Instead of having her stick to her guns because of Otto being in her ear, they try to make her 'grey' by muddying her motivations with a tropey misunderstanding.
Also, the foreshadowing of Dragons being not truly controllable has been set up. Besides that, remember that all of the kids are basically teenagers besides Aegon. If you've never had a tiff with your siblings and cousins then i don't know what to tell you. But that's in line with how immature people behave. Not to mention everything about Aemond says he has a mean streak, but he's NEVER been positioned as a kinslayer. He even still refers to Jace and Luke as "nephew". Dude is salty about his eye, but he's never been portrayed as a pure evil man. Hell if anything Daemon is more diabolical than Aemond has ever been.
Yeah, but you don't chase someone down with a giant murder weapon and act surprised when you murder them. I've never chased my siblings or cousins with a shotgun before, but if I did I'd probably have one less relative and a lot of time behind bars and none of you would be surprised at the outcome.
Lastly, that IS how most things happen with war and history. It's very rarely some carefully intricate plot. Most times, its a sole actor jumping up and doing something without understanding the consequences. Otto and Daemon can be that way because they have DECADES of political/war experience. You see that in the past two episodes. While everyone else is freaking out, Daemon instantly goes into general mode and Otto starts politiking. That's what natural leaders do. Doesn't mean they are always correct but that is what they do.
There are a lot of unexpected things that happen in war, but wishy washy 'whoopsy daisy' unfortunate misunderstandings definitely don't happen like that. Luke running into Aemond is an unexpected thing to happen, but Aemond "accidentally" killing Luke after chasing him down on the most powerful weapon in the entire universe is not a "whoopsy" that just happens. There's nothing in the history books that say "they accidentally parked their giant battleship near their country and in a big whoopsy mistakenly fired nuclear warheads at their capital. They never actually meant to hit them ☹️" It's just a cheap trick the writers are trying to use to keep every character "grey." I think they realize that the blacks are clearly the good guys and the green the bad guys, but they want the audience to participate in a black vs green discussion so they think the only way to do that is to dress up the greens as morally confusing so you won't outright hate them. In the end it just dillutes the character's motivations and thus their character development. It's frustrating to watch.

I did love the show, so I'm not condemning it. These are just nitpicks, but they do bother me and I hope they don't fall back on sitcom type tropes for the 2nd season.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
a poster in the other thread said in the book, not only did aemond purposely kill lucerys but that he found his fallen body and took both his eyes out :picard:
Well the book is told from three different perspectives, and that was the perspective of a character so ridiculous and peverted he isnt on the show.
Ill spoiler it, although no future spoilers are included

According to Archmaester Gyldayn, if there was a fight it could not have lasted long. Arrax fell, broken, to be swallowed by the storm-lashed waters of the bay. His head and neck washed up beneath the cliffs below Storm's End three days later. Prince Lucerys's body was never found.[2]

Mushroom's scurrilous Testimony claims Aemond located Luke's corpse, also washed up on the shore, and removed both of his eyes to present them to Lady Maris on a bed of seaweed, but Archmaester Gyldayn's history considers that unlikely. Gyldayn also notes that some claim that Vhagar snatched Lucerys off Arrax's back and swallowed him whole. Some have even claimed that Luke survived his fall and swam to safety, but lost all memory of who he was, spending the rest of his days as a simpleminded fisherman.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well the book is told from three different perspectives, and that was the perspective of a character so ridiculous and peverted he isnt on the show.
Ill spoiler it, although no future spoilers are included

According to Archmaester Gyldayn, if there was a fight it could not have lasted long. Arrax fell, broken, to be swallowed by the storm-lashed waters of the bay. His head and neck washed up beneath the cliffs below Storm's End three days later. Prince Lucerys's body was never found.[2]

Mushroom's scurrilous Testimony claims Aemond located Luke's corpse, also washed up on the shore, and removed both of his eyes to present them to Lady Maris on a bed of seaweed, but Archmaester Gyldayn's history considers that unlikely. Gyldayn also notes that some claim that Vhagar snatched Lucerys off Arrax's back and swallowed him whole. Some have even claimed that Luke survived his fall and swam to safety, but lost all memory of who he was, spending the rest of his days as a simpleminded fisherman.

oh ok cool…so it wasn’t anything definitive…just a crazy rumor within the story…thanks…can’t wait to read it

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
oh ok cool…so it wasn’t anything definitive…just a crazy rumor within the story…thanks…can’t wait to read it
Yup nothing is truly definitive so the show runners can play with the source material more than DandD (and personally i enjoy the changes.) the book is dense tho, highly recommend the audiobook over paper.