FX & Donald Glover present Atlanta Season 2: Atlanta Robbin' Season

folasade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are we sure they were flirting? I thought that scene (by the lack of subtitles) was to highlight Erns insecurity. The next time they spoke and we got subtitles, the dude was giving her decent relationship advice.
Which is not surprising that a lot posters were outraged by it. They're insecure as hell.

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
Which is not surprising that a lot posters were outraged by it. They're insecure as hell.

Both of them are insecure tho. She's insecure about becoming a BM. They gonna get back together. At least I hope. They're both on the same pahe, just different sentenses. I hope they keep an organic growft pattern in the show with all the story lines.

Show is great considering the discussion in this thread. Mad archs and we kinda know the characters.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Helen, Georgia (what the episode title came from) is a real town in North GA. It's located in White county, GA. That's the real name of the actual county.

The town itself is modeled after a Bavarian (south German) village. This episode chose Oktoberfest to display the fukkery overload involved, and the backdrop to Earn and Van's relationship fork-in-the-road. They were in a strange place.

I've been to Helen, GA once, like 10 years ago for a friend's wedding. Felt like Earn did, very out of place. Luckily, the chick I was with didn't have Van's mindstate going in. We were on the same page. Did the wedding and reception, had a good time, hit the hotel, thought about hitting Waffle House in the morning, but looked around, and fukk that. We hit the road headed back to more familiar surroundings. Wasn't anything overt or bad, just weird as fukk, and I've been to Germany several times. Seemed like a fake Medieval Times town. No interest in ever going back.

I’ve been there before it’s a straight shot on highway 316 or I 985.Place is weird as fukk but it’s ok for a getaway weekend for a day only.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Atlanta’ Director Amy Seimetz on Creating Those ’Get Out’ Vibes in the Creepy Episode ‘Helen’

A couple who is dating drives to the girl’s hometown and is surprised by an encounter with a wild animal on the road. In town, the guy can’t seem to adjust to feeling scrutinized, is one of the few black people around, and finds the strange residents way too friendly and obsessed with him. Sound familiar?

It’s actually the premise of “Atlanta’s” Season 2 episode “Helen,” in which Earn (Donald Glover) and Van (Zazie Beetz) travel to Helen, Georgia to attend the Germanic festival celebration known as Fasnacht. But it’s probably not a coincidence that it bears a resemblance, especially stylistically and tonally, to Jordan Peele’s Oscar-winning film “Get Out.” Indie darling Amy Seimetz chatted with IndieWire about directing the episode, trying to capture Donald Glover’s version of the festival known as Fasnacht, and her odd connection to the story.

By nature, it kind of lends itself to that,” said Seimetz about the similarities to “Get Out.” “For the writer [Taofik Kolade] who wrote it, that maybe was an inspiration, but you’d have to talk to him about it. But I definitely think [it’s similar in] the difference in culture, the fear — especially when they’re playing that game and they start yelling his name. I find chanting and very white men frat-y things very terrifying. It feels like it can suddenly turn really violent very quickly, even when they’re overly excited. So a little bit in that vein.”

She also deliberately shot the scenes in a way to amp up the paranoia factor.

“When we shot it, Christian [Sprenger] the DP and I decided that it would be really fun to shoot this episode on 100mm,” she said. “Most of the episode is on a 100mm or 200mm lenses so it makes it feel like they’re being spied on the whole time. Very creepy like somebody’s watching them the whole time and we get that vibe of alienation like, ‘Oh wow, there are these two black people here,’ people just staring at them the whole time, so Earn can never quite feel it in his skin.”

For Georgia tourists looking to partake in Fasnacht, look beyond this country. The festival that’s depicted in the episode is inspired by but not remotely authentic to the ones celebrated in Europe.

“Fasnacht is a festival in Germany, but it doesn’t actually happen in Helen, Georgia,” said Seimetz. “That’s just something they made up. Half of that stuff in there, I have no idea. Donald was just saying, ‘I think it’s just stuff I read off the Internet,’ and they put it in. This feels very much like the show is anyway, taking these weird pieces of reality and making them part of the world.”

Van grew up attending Fasnacht and wants to share the experience with Earn, but the entire celebration is strange, confusing, and borderline scary. Someone wins a ball-tossing game by bypassing all the rules, everyone is wearing masks, and a dude called the Schanppviecher is running around stealing things while wearing a bizarre beast head.

“It’s nightmarish and very haunting, alienating in a way,” said Seimetz. “There’s no reason Earn would be there other than just to be there with Van. It’s a really alienating episode for both of them.

“All those masks are handmade,” she added. “We looked up different masks from the festivals and this guy that’s in Atlanta made all these creature masks. So we basically designed all of these masks so they felt nightmarish but still realistic.”

As for the Schanppviecher, Seimetz said that he actually did look and sound as disturbing in real life as on screen. “The guy that was walking around in the puppet [head], without me saying anything, he started making this really ridiculous laughter,” she said. “I was like, ‘This is so creepy. Keep doing that.’ It just became a mix of funny and really disturbing.”

In real life, Beetz was born in Berlin to a German father and American mother, and is fluent in both German and English. In the episode, when Van hits it off with another character at Fasnacht, they begin speaking German, which leaves both Earn and the audience feeling left out, since there are no subtitles for the scene.

“They wanted us to feel Earn’s alienation, this part of Van that he doesn’t really know, that he’s not sure if he wants to know,” said Seimetz. “It’s a part of Van he can’t access. I don’t think most Americans speak German, so I wanted us to be in the dark too. You get a few words here and there to ground you. He’s so funny in that scene.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indi...2-episode-4-helen-amy-seimetz-1201943187/amp/

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Helen, Georgia (what the episode title came from) is a real town in North GA. It's located in White county, GA. That's the real name of the actual county.

The town itself is modeled after a Bavarian (south German) village. This episode chose Oktoberfest to display the fukkery overload involved, and the backdrop to Earn and Van's relationship fork-in-the-road. They were in a strange place.

I've been to Helen, GA once, like 10 years ago for a friend's wedding. Felt like Earn did, very out of place. Luckily, the chick I was with didn't have Van's mindstate going in. We were on the same page. Did the wedding and reception, had a good time, hit the hotel, thought about hitting Waffle House in the morning, but looked around, and fukk that. We hit the road headed back to more familiar surroundings. Wasn't anything overt or bad, just weird as fukk, and I've been to Germany several times. Seemed like a fake Medieval Times town. No interest in ever going back.
I been to that festival. It's cacfest to the 10th degree

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Both of them are insecure tho. She's insecure about becoming a BM. They gonna get back together. At least I hope. They're both on the same pahe, just different sentenses. I hope they keep an organic growft pattern in the show with all the story lines.

Show is great considering the discussion in this thread. Mad archs and we kinda know the characters.
Becoming? Shes already a BM, she was going on dates and picked that nikka up from some chick spot in S1:russ:
This probably aint the first time they fell out like these either

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Once that lady walked up to Earn thinking he was in blackface, there's nothing right about that shyt.
And I think it was stupid how Van acted like she didn't like strip clubs all of a sudden. On that "we do your shyt" tip. Knowing some women never actually know what they want to do for entertainment, then pull that shyt out is bullshyt.

But yeah, the big take away I had was that people just kind of view Van and being above Earn when really they're on the same level, but Van is always going through these moments with other females where she's thinking she settled. But she's just a pothead average person like Earn and his crew. But since he's the guy, he's just below her.

just look at her,then look at his bum ass:mjlol:

But she is a c00n,and I'm not so sure she chose black. First didn't want to admit the blaytant racism at the movie theatre,then this bullshyt. Was quick to call racism with that african at the club though. She regrets what she chose and can go to hell,especially now after seeing life imitates art:mjpls:.

Good for Ern,not sure if we are supposed to want to see them together as an audience.But I would just go ahead and write her out of the show if she is an important factor. They are a horrible couple in every way possible from what I remember about this show's last season,and just watched the 2nd season.