FX & Donald Glover present Atlanta Season 2: Atlanta Robbin' Season

doublex

Pro
Daps
Really engaging episode. I don't agree with those who say it didn't have enough humor. A lot of it was laugh-out-loud hilarious, especially the thieving horse monster and that guy in a mask just staring silently at Earn and Van.

Earn was being a baby about the table tennis game, but Van was being a bytch by flirting with the bartender in German.

Earn was justified in being pissed about the blatant racism / blackface at the festival, but Van was justifiably pissed about Earn's wishy-washiness during "the talk".

Neither were all-wrong or all-right, but I think this episode hammered the final nail in the coffin for their relationship. Which is a shame since they have a kid together.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
:gucci:

This show has NEVER been non stop jokes so I dont know where you got this idea from to compare it to “scrubs” of all shows:dahell:

It’s always had heavy subjects as it’s foundation.

It’s a dramedy or “dark comedy” that’s heavy on the drama/dark.

why can't y'all understand I'm not comparing this to scrubs, I'm saying exactly what you said, and adding that some people want more jokes from their sitcoms rather than heavy stuff. While the show mixes drama and comedy, it hasn't weighed too far into drama over comedy like it did in the last episode. Last night felt more like a drama with some comedy rather than a comedy with drama imo :yeshrug:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
As someone who isn't in, and hasn't been in a "formal relationship", I have always held the belief and practice that I don't want to invite someone somewhere THEY won't have fun. I always saw that as selfish, and I think it speaks to the neediness of people, which I don't mean in an insulting way.

That said, either go and enjoy it for what it is, or don't go. Don't go acting like a little kid.

I also realize the emotional "logic" of accompanying your spouse everywhere, but sometimes you have to consider the other person, and whether they would truly enjoy it.

Like, I love indie movies, raw, dark dramas thrillers, I usually go by myself, but there's a few women I know, who share that interest, and I would invite, or go with, for sure. But, I know a few others who are equally cool, but I know they would not have fun, at all, so I would never want or expect them to go.

Last edited:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
It was a cool episode. Nothing great. Don't know why people are arguing about it. It was a solid dramatic episode with some good dry humor. Its probably not an episode I would revisit any time soon though. There was really nothing innovative or thought provoking about it. It was just an episode where a couple went on a bad date and questioned their relationship. I've seen that many times before. The first 3 episodes were what I look for in this show, not really this. But it's cool. Every episode can't be classic. I can accept a decent episode here and there when they keep delivering genius level episodes most of the time. Plus I know this episode will serve it's purpose in the bigger picture. It still give it a 3/5.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Van is gorgeous.

I would've danced and did the corny shyt. It's one night and it would've made your girl happy. If you aint willing to do that, why you dating?

Earn is just a perpetual fukk up. Dropped out of college. No house. No car. No real career. He doesn't give a fukk about anything. Probably has some sort of depression. Too proud to ask for help from anyone. Not going hard enough to get back on path, and when he gets close, he makes another bonehead decision. The episode with the uncle was a little too real. He's Earn 20 years from now.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this show only lasts another season and ends with Earns suicide. It seems exactly like something Donald would do.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Van is the epitome of how attention starved women are. She was so pressed for the German dudes attention that she allowed him to throw her emotions out of whack and throw her whole relationship with Earn down the tank.

That’s some foul shyt and I don’t think Earn was wrong in the least bit.

Daps
How many men give up women like Van? Then they get bitter, and it ruins it for the rest of us looking for a Van...minus the kid

:mjcry:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
I wouldn’t be surprised if this show only lasts another season and ends with Earns suicide. It seems exactly like something Donald would do.
I don't know about suicide. Earn is a complete fukk up but I don't really see him as somebody who would kill himself. I said before though I do believe earn will be murdered in the final episode. I just think eventually he's gonna overcome his mental and financial issues. The tone and mood of the show will become lighter as earn becomes more successful. Earn will have finally grown up and turned a corner in his life. Then it'll all be taken away in an instant. Dont even think there will be any build up or dramatic music. Itll be completely out of the blue and heartless as fukk. Cause that's how shyt goes In real life. Either way I don't see a happy ending to Earn's story at all. I think donald made this show for it to end on a tragic note. That's just me though:manny:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I was worse than Earn. I wouldn't say that I didn't want to be there, I would actively clown that shyt nonstop until she got pissed and said fukk it and left. She's an ex. Eventually I learned at times that too cool shyt has to be dropped for your girl cause there will definitely be some shyt she's in to that you'll look at sideways. At the same time she has to realize how a situation looks to the man and know when to pull away from it. I love that this can spark some real conversations.

I would just flat out not go. It was a long relationship too. About 7 years... so by the time i “grew up” i still couldn’t shake that resentment she held against me for being how harsh and stubborn i was for so long.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
One thing that this episode highlights is the HUGE racial discrimination that black people suffer and are made to live with as just “normal” occurrences.

Earn’s white friend from the Pilot isn’t even a “friend”. Just another white guy who gets off on saying the word ****** and thinks it’s ok because he’s dating a woman of color. He’s not even dating a black woman whose particularly proud of BEING black, so not only is he dating the “whitest” Black woman he can find, he’s totally clueless to why him using a certain racial epithet is a problem.

The white people in the window staring at Earn and Van as though they’d NEVER seen a black person a day in their lives, in TWO THOUSAND AND fukkING EIGHTEEN. DURING what is presumed to be a popular annual tourist event. Black People are something foreign, to be gawked at, ogled, treated as zoo animals.

Van’s casual brushing off of the deep seated and institutionalized racism of her OWN partial heritage. She casually tells Earn that this particular celebration includes blackface, and that she herself was bothered by it until she was FORCED to conform and her coping mechanism was on some “I’m Serena Williams, I’m better than all you heathens” shyt.

Van’s biracial friend (or sister?) being brought up in a world that indoctrinated her with the attitude that she had to “choose” white in order to feel that she has chosen better. In her world, choosing a black man means that she has chosen a man who will support neither her nor her future children.

The German guy that Van was casually flirting with. He felt that the fact that he could speak German with Van meant that he could disrespect Earn (by omission) and flirt with Van RIGHT in front of him. And then when Earn called him out he had the AUDACITY to act offended, a world of white Privilege and an indoctrinated sense of supremacy made him feel that Earn was essentially unimportant right in front of the woman he was obviously there with.

BK360NATL

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Remember episode 2 and the "No Chase" rule in malls? It's about to be really real in ATL.

APD will no longer respond to shoplifting calls in parts of Atlanta

"ATLANTA - A new move by the Atlanta Police Department has many small businesses feeling vulnerable.

The department announced earlier this week that, due to a recent uptick in crimes across Zone 2, which encompasses the Buckhead area, the Police Department will not be dispatching officers to shoplifting calls in most cases...."

"City of Atlanta Police Department
March 21 at 8:19am ·
APD ON SHOPLIFTING: Atlanta Police officers in Zone 2 spend a great deal of time responding to shoplifting calls at the many retailers in the north Atlanta area.

These calls, which can be for something as simple as a stolen item of clothing, can tie up an officer for more than an hour by the time the officer responds, takes a report and transports the arrestee to jail.

Due to a recent uptick in crimes that present a greater safety risk in Zone 2 (stolen vehicles, theft from vehicles, and robberies), Chief Shields has decided to change the Department’s approach to responding to shoplifting calls for the foreseeable future.

Our goal is very clear, purposeful and straightforward: We must get a handle on criminals who are comfortable engaging in straight lawlessness.

Effective immediately, Zone 2 officers responsible for responding to 9-1-1 calls will not be dispatched to shoplifting calls in most cases.

If available, an overtime officer or an officer specifically assigned to handling larceny calls will be dispatched. If one of those officers is not available, the retailer will be encouraged to reach out to the Zone 2 precinct and file a police report by telephone. Additionally, retailers are encouraged to develop a security plan that is less dependent upon the Atlanta Police Department.

Chief Shields expects that the time that officers save not responding to shoplifting calls will be better spent patrolling, which is in keeping with her priority to focus on reducing violent crime throughout the city.

The Department has begun communicating this change in approach to retailers throughout the Zone. To be clear, we expect retailers to report these crimes and APD will be taking these reports. When available, an overtime or larceny-specific officer in the zone will respond, though it may not be immediate. We ask retailers to be patient as we attempt to re-focus our efforts on calls that present a greater risk to safety."