Future “as a artist” > Drake, J.Cole & Kendrick Lamar

deleteuser101

Superstar
Daps
@PatvFoo

What themes do you see repeated in Future's music?

His E.P “Save Me” was about battling drug addiction and the effects it had on him to get off.

But The album “High Off Life” had zero codeine or drug references

“HNDRXX” was one of the best r&b albums of the past decade

“MONSTER” was him coming off the breakup wit Ciara & the RHQ comparisons

fast forward

“We Don’t Trust U” his issues with Drake & their friendship

I could keep going but almost each project is basically it’s on theme maybe besides a couple…Even the production is different he ain’t worked wit Metro in YEARS lol

It just depends on how you view the music. To the next person it could come off repetitive due to the drug/trap talk but that’s a culture within itself. Same with K.Dot and his Hotep crew, or J.Cole and his college audience

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
His E.P “Save Me” was about battling drug addiction and the effects it had on him to get off.

But The album “High Off Life” had zero codeine or drug references

“HNDRXX” was one of the best r&b albums of the past decade

“MONSTER” was him coming off the breakup wit Ciara & the RHQ comparisons

fast forward

“We Don’t Trust U” his issues with Drake & their friendship

I could keep going but almost each project is basically it’s on theme maybe besides a couple…Even the production is different he ain’t worked wit Metro in YEARS lol

It just depends on how you view the music. To the next person it could come off repetitive due to the drug/trap talk but that’s a culture within itself. Same with K.Dot and his Hotep crew, or J.Cole and his college audience

With Kendrick and J Cole can you go the entire song without really paying attention to the lyrics and still enjoy it?I dont think so.

Sounds like youve found a way to romanticize what Future does. He makes great music for many different vibes. But trying to squeeze him into the convo with those 3 its a easy to see "one of these things does not fit"

Now heres where someone tells me "But Benefited,you just put Cube and Pac with Nas and Jay who are much better technical lyricist".
Well first off Cube was arguably the greatest emcee alive at one point. And Pac passed the threshhold of a more than competent lyricist. Future ranges from barely competent , where he can ruin a song by not even trying,to being compotent. During their peak Migos were much better rappers. Futures strong suit is one he has in common with Pac,hes great at envoking whatever emotion and energy he wants out of the listener. But the content and bars are mostly lacking.

And its not because I dont like Southern hiphop either btw or have a preference for "lyricist". I just think based on who we are comparing ,Future doesnt fit the same pedigree as the other 3.

Crazy what he could be if he could pick it up just a notch lyrically,even if just for a handful of songs per album.

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
6god is 6God
Kendrick is Kendrick
Fewtcha is FUTURE HENDRIX DIRTY SPRITE
LEGENDARY :bryan:

BE THANKFUL WE ARE BORN TO BE IN THE SAME TIME THAT THEM nikkaS BLESSING US WITH BLASSIC AFTER BLASSIC
BECAUSE SOME AREN'T BLESSED LIKE US IMAGINE BEING BORN AND THERE IS NO FEWTCHA OR 6 GOD OR KENDRICK IN YOUR LIFETIME:damn:

Mystic

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Yea its time to have the discussion. :yeshrug:

You wanna talk about Cole & Kendrick but Future is the most consistent rapper of this generation not named Drake (even tho Future makes the better music imo). We talking bout over 10 years going thru different eras rather it was Rich Homie Quan, Young Thug, Lil Baby, Rylo Rodriguez, etc. He lasted (no Diddy)

Not speaking as a lyricist, but ALL around artist yes. He makes the best music out the bunch on some Kanye type shyt. Also he the most influential out the big 3

BeastMode, Monster, 56 Nights, DS2, EVOL, INLY, & now We Don’t Trust You. All hits now we in the 2020s (at 40 YEARS OLD) and he ain’t slowing down :wow:

Give the man his flowers he a hip hop goat and should get the same respect as the others
Most consistent? EVERY album Kendrick dropped is considered a classic with the exception of the last one and that’s solely because it’s too new so in no way shape or form is he more consistent.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I’ll say this. I don’t like Future that much but man he got a few joints for real. Then this song came out and made me go “this might be my favorite future song “

Dude has had a run.

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
Future is a really intriguing artist because he has this weird mix of musicality and natural creativity for hooks/melodies, but a really limited vocabulary compared to his peers. In turn, his music is highly accessible and when he finds a pocket, he finds a fukking pocket (e.g., March Madness, Honest, Throw Away, UOENO, Magic, etc), but he’s never going to as be respected as some of his peers because of the aforementioned.

However, the barrier to entry to his music is incredibly low, so you can put his shyt on, turn your brain off, chill, vibe, whatever. Whereas you can’t do that with a lot of more “respected” rapper’s music (see recent debates about “scaring the whores music”). He’s had a great career all in all.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Definitely influential.

Influenced Durk to do zooties

Influenced Juice WRLD to do pills, got him killed

and the crazy thing is, Fewtch don't even do that shyt. Greatest endorser of Actavis in our lifetime and all he had to do was pretend to be a drug addict while everyone else was out here suffering seizures and shyt.