fukk going to college and being in debt or working at best buy. I need a trade. Who is paying?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
OP each trade requires different skill sets and personality types.

If you don't know you should just go in as a laborer so you can get a feel and see for yourself.

Robo Squirrel

CEO @ Squirrel Burger: Fish & Chips
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Francisco, CA
I know Cali and have family there. A $20/hr wage in most parts of California isn't a living wage, especially in the Bay or LA. Living wage for an adult with no kids in Alameda County (Oakland, Berkeley etc.) is about $30/hr. Whatever wage you get in Cali, subtract $10/hr for the equivalent in TX.

Granted TX is getting so damn expensive I understand your concern with the low minimum wage.

If you really want to move, I would recommend trying to cut your teeth in a low cost of living area then once your skills are upgraded move where you want for good pay.

If you are young with no kids, I would honestly see if you could get in state tuition and training in TX then move to somewhere like Memphis, Birmingham, or Columbia, SC where there is a sizeable Black population/middle class and cheap cost of living. Stack bread and then decide your next move.

If you have to move you could work and go to school at a technical school where you end up. For example there is a HBCU vocational school in Birmingham Lawson State that is pretty cheap

Cali is good in many parts but is expensive, Black folks are leaving in bulk, and the trades/unskilled labor are dominated by Hispanics (citizens or not) who may not be in a rush to hire your Black behind. Just being real.

If you end up in Cali I would say try Sacramento. Black folks live around the Laguna Hills area I think. Ask @murksiderock
Right on.

rlg

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Community college is an option breh. most community colleges are 3x less than state schools.

For instance, my area community colleges are running around $100 per credit hour. The state and city colleges in my area is running closer to $600 per credit hour. A two year degree is going to cost you 6k plus another 2k for books and fee's and you can cut that down more by getting books online from secondary sources.

Now, lets talk about trades. Trade programs and fellowships generally speaking lay out the pay structure but you dont get the full rate pay until you complete 5k or 10k hours in your apprenticeship.

Check this apprenticeship program out for example. I literally drive by this place everyday for work. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...e+Apprenticeship+Information+-+WAGE+RATES.pdf

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Lmao at y’all giving advice to a bot that used to be a doctor

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I’m an electrician. We mostly match colors. Don’t gotta be great with math as I work with some real retards. Much more manual labor than folks think
i was deciding between hvac and electrical trade school a year ago, and i said to myself :patrice: “well i dont wanna get shocked, imma do hvac”

*starts school*
Teacher 1 :shaq:- “80% of hvac is electrical”

Me : :damn:

Teacher 2 :shaq:- “I got hit with high voltage and died and had to be brought back to life”

Me : :mjcry:

Teacher 3:shaq:- “I got hit with high voltage and turned blue, i could feel my insides turning”

Me: :merchant:

there more stories but you get the point :dead:

Daps
Nursing
Plumbing
Steamfitter/HVAC
Trucking
Armed Security (preferably a government building if you can get it)
Police officer
Building maintenance supervisor
Blue collar is definitely where it's at.

cheek100

Truuu
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
HVAC is the one breh. The thing that separates it from the rest is u can’t go to Home Depot to fix hvac. U gonna have to call a pro and open the wallet.
HVAC :ufdup: