From (Sci fi horror on Epix/MGM Plus)

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm on a binge rewatch before the third season drops. Everything about the first two seasons was fuzzy for me, so the rewatch has me looking for clues and all that.

After season one, I'm fully on a "this is some kind of VR experience gone awry" tip. Jade owns a software company where he mentions making the things people imagine come true. He also mentioned a breakthrough in quantum mechanics for his company. Jim is an amusement park engineer who tries to make experiences that feel dangerous but really aren't. They're also the two that crash into each other when the series starts.

So, my theory is that the majority of characters on the show are NPCs. Basically, if we haven't seen a flashback of their arrival at the tree, then they may be an NPC. I also think certain NPCs were specifically added in to help keep people on track (Donna, the priest, the crazy girl and her brother, Kenny and his mom, and Fatima all got me side-eyeing them).

Some of the game aspects that are in this thing:
- Fast Travel using the trees.
- The symbols mark checkpoints.
- The talismans to creates safe spaces.
- Victor mentions that there didn't used to be seasons, which I think implies that the "program" has been updated.
- Certain supplies never seem to run out, like Victor being shocked that the peaches aren't respawning anymore.

Random shyt that could relate:
- The guide characters I mentioned are always providing some emotional support that the real person needs. Boyd got Kenny after his relationship with his son collapsed. Ellis got a love interest at that same point (and Fatima becomes Julie's guide, and she's into Fatima too). Jade got a mother-figure.
- I'm just starting season 2 but I remember something with worms...which is something we call malware or computer viruses too.
- The kid keeps saying they're on a quest, and Jade thinks it's an escape room initially.
- Certain situations and ways of dying repeat themselves. The crazy girl cut her brother's throat, which is also how the priest died. The group got trapped in the car and had to be quiet or they'd die, which is similar to the house collapsing in season 2 (though I have to rewatch to really compare, so this is a reach).

This is probably all wrong, but it's a fun way to rewatch the series and keep things interesting before the new season comes out.
I rethought this when Tabitha escaped...but then she started seeing things from the other place in the real world (also Victor's dad feels like he should look WAY older). Now that Tabitha thought she never left and wound up right back where she started...I'm back on this tip, maybe I'll tweak it but I'm waiting for the season to end.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Donna is going to die soon

Sucks because she's my favorite character

I hate the Fatima subplot, it's getting nastier and nastier

This show has always been janky but I loved the first 2 seasons

It's meandering right now

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
Man at least now they started talking a little bit smh tell people about the crazy hallucinations you see or what yall saw when the cicadas had you zoned out damn!

The wet ghost lady Elgin keeps seeing needs a bigger push cuz they keep teasing this shyt and nothing is happening. Or stop introducing more shyt for real.

Tabitha’s character just pisses me off so bad. She’s like barely able to speak up on shyt when it counts. I would’ve ran in the house like “AYE YALL we got victors daddy over here!” Then the ambulance scene she’s just not animated enough for my liking.
Nah my favorite part was when the annoying white dude was going in on Jade

The Black woman just kept folding clothes silently

"I know she was thinking I aint got time for this shyt!"

We need more regular Black ppl with speaking roles...shyt she probably would have been like he'll nah I aint going out there

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
It's funny that when the bus driver and the guy who sleeps in the bus finally got some screen time again I was thinking wow, that entire crop of new characters is basically irrelevant. And now we have a new crop of characters showing up in an ambulance.

Then with some old characters who just disappear or get sidelined...what happened with Sara? She went from being one of the most interesting characters to just nothing. You'd think that in a situation where people are hearing/seeing things, they'd want to talk to Sara right.

I also continue to dislike the way the show constantly delays dramatic scenes with some type of shock or mystery that is rarely resolved or even discussed much in following episodes. We've talked about the car crash but what about the bird busting through a window during the tarot card reading lmao. Right next to the black guy who had a dream that we never got much info on. It's just stacking shyt up with no plans for resolution.
I thought the dude who sleeps in the bus was dead because he tried to kill Donna

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I know a week ago a poster or two were hyped/hopeful that this ep would be some ground-breaking turning point based on online chatter, including the Tabitha actress saying this was her favorite ep of the season... but nothing actually happened that we didn't already know was gonna happen with how ep 3 went.

So not a bad ep but kinda by-the-numbers; nice suspense plagued with the same flaws. i.e. can't even blame the cops for telling Tabitha to STFU bc, like a poster said, she could've just told them they were approaching the town where her family lived. Also, this is the 2nd time in 4 eps that pale gang had Boyd dead-to-rights... then let him go.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
I wonder if the creatures are gonna keep "leveling up", like maybe start running or throwing acid or some shyt.

Also I was sure that the phone thing was in the dad's head since last week it literally ring less than a second after the daughter left the kitchen, that meant she heard the fukking phone ringing for the first time since the got there and thought nothing off it :dead:

Mazino

All Star
Daps
Just a heads up. Episode 4 was very hyped up before the season started. Reviewers who got to watch episodes 1-4 early said they couldn't wait to see what happens in episode 5, and 6. Because of all that happens in episode 4. The actress who portrays Tabitha says the 4th episode is her favorite episode of the season. She also claimed that It will shock everyone.

Now, I doubt there will be answers. But I think this next episode will unveil a huge discovery that'll heavily allude to one of the many theories that's been theorized by the fandom since season 1. Should be a must watch.
I didn't want to comment on this until seeing the episode but yeah the hype wasn't justified

The ways these fools don't communicate has become beyond a joke at this point, Tabitha only tells Jim that Victors father is here and that she actually made it outside?

I'm not that interested in the Fatima stuff, just another BS distraction, what they doing turning this shyt into the Walking Dead? Not even the Monsters actually eat people.

One part that did make me chuckle was Victor talking about his mother and sister dying telling Sarah "they died just like Nathan, except I didn't murder them" :mjlol:

Can tell they're going to rush the hell out of the reveals because the pacing is ass

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I rethought this when Tabitha escaped...but then she started seeing things from the other place in the real world (also Victor's dad feels like he should look WAY older). Now that Tabitha thought she never left and wound up right back where she started...I'm back on this tip, maybe I'll tweak it but I'm waiting for the season to end.
I thought I missed something and that he was Victor's brother or some shyt. Hit the :dahell: when they said that was his pops.

And we keep harping on this, but I don't think I've ever seen a show where characters straight up refuse to tell others important info. Everyone is aware that they live in this fukked up place that they can't escape, with "monsters" that come out at night that can only be pushed away by "magic" totems.

There is nothing to crazy that you should be afraid of letting someone know.

White dude on the bus maybe hallucinates bugs coming on the bus, Boyd asks if everything is okay and he says yeah.

Fatima is pregnant eating rotten food and now eating dead people and doesn't think to mention it to anyone. shyt, someone sees her eating trash and keeps it to herself.

Mazino

All Star
Daps
I thought I missed something and that he was Victor's brother or some shyt. Hit the :dahell: when they said that was his pops.

And we keep harping on this, but I don't think I've ever seen a show where characters straight up refuse to tell others important info. Everyone is aware that they live in this fukked up place that they can't escape, with "monsters" that come out at night that can only be pushed away by "magic" totems.

White dude on the bus maybe hallucinates bugs coming on the bus, Boyd asks if everything is okay and he says yeah.

Fatima is pregnant eating rotten food and now eating dead people and doesn't think to mention it to anyone. shyt, someone sees her eating trash and keeps it to herself.
Writers have written themselves into a corner because they've done far too much mystery box shyt and rather than knock them off one by one they'll just add more and more

Audiences tune out when you do that though, Lost was a better show and people dipped still.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

That old lady is always around for the fukkery and never shares. She's seen the autistic while he stares at empty space (he sees that drowned-looking woman) two or three times, and doesn't even bother following him to make sure he doesn't do some psychotic deluded ish.

It's also kinda nuts how no one bothers keeping an eye on the crazy girl that went on a killing spree OR the longest-tenured resident with the mind of a child. You'd think they want to watch those two since one kills people and the other knows more secrets about the town than anyone else.

The only fair explanation to me is that some of these people are part of it, even if they don't realize it.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Writers have written themselves into a corner because they've done far too much mystery box shyt and rather than knock them off one by one they'll just add more and more

Audiences tune out when you do that though, Lost was a better show and people dipped still.
Nailed it on the head.

To add to it... while we all "know" Boyd is the mc and isn't going to die, don't make it so obvious by writing him into impossible situations just to give him a get out of jail free card.

There was no way Boyd could've saved himself, Randall, or anyone on that ambulance at that moment. For pale gang to "help him out" cheapens the suspense. Same with being trapped in the barn with them overnight; the only way for that to have made sense is if the next ep was a continuation of that night with pale gang unveiling the mystery to Boyd and the part they still need him to play.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’m honestly not even sure what this show could do to have a super hype moment.

Maybe incorporate the larger town in the real world into it? But thats probably how they keep the budget low. Feels like they’re afraid to progress the plot because they dont have a real ending planned out, they know it will be cancelled early. Like that stupid airplane show that just pulled some shyt out their ass for a finale.

If the plan is to catch one of the ghouls they should have done it two episodes ago and started revealing more shyt.

Sauce and Footwork

Superstar
Daps
this shyt going on with Fatima is the only interesting thing going on in the show right now. I’m a big horror fan, so I see why other people might not like it, but atleast it’s different. Every episode is just merging into each other with no answers no nothing.