From a breh that just finished "The Wire" for the first time: My thoughts

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Avon was a BRILLIANT leader, I don't see how he was unconvincing. His reputation preceded him, plus his family was known in the streets for decades. His name and reputation spread and far and wide so he didn't need to be on some rah rah kill everything that moves shyt. He had the respect of everybody - even Marlo had no choice but to go through him to get to the Greeks.

Stringer was second in command and we see how that worked out in Season 3....that's why Avon was lowkey demoting him and probably would have got Slim Charles to be in second place eventually. Stringer didn't give off boss vibes like that and the crew was only tolerating him because they had to. You can't be a leader if you don't even know how to read people.

Marlo may have appeared more ruthless and fearsome but that's exactly why him and his crew didn't last long. He couldn't see the bigger picture and only thought short term.
^^^

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
His crew didn’t last long ? They lasted at least 4 years. I been said Prop Joe was leaking information to Levy and other people to get them knocked off. Notice that in all 5 seasons Joe didn’t lose a single soldier? He operated from a repair shop with no wire or surveillance on him the entire show. Prop Joe was an informant . That’s why Marlo played him like a child and took over the table.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
His crew didn’t last long ? They lasted at least 4 years. I been said Prop Joe was leaking information to Levy and other people to get them knocked off. Notice that in all 5 seasons Joe didn’t lose a single soldier? He operated from a repair shop with no wire or surveillance on him the entire show. Prop Joe was an informant . That’s why Marlo played him like a child and took over the table.
4 years compared to the Barksdales as a family...........

Xyrax

Superstar
Daps
Damn that made me wana rewatch :russ:

I aint never seen the shield :patrice: Is it comparable?

The shield is good but its not better than the wire man. But its good for making a cop show where the cops are dirty asf. Which is closer to real life than the fairy tales most cops shows turn out to be.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Season 2 was good.

You were introduced to the Mob who brought the product into to the US. That storyline was needed. Like Furious Styles said;

"We don't own no planes. We don't own no ships. We are not the ones flying and shipping that shyt up in here."

Frank Sobotka was a great character and the acting was A1. Season 2 was entertaining.

I laugh at folks who recommend skipping that whole season just for the simple fact that it has white people in it and not enough drive bys.

:stopitslime:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
@neotheflyingone

The Wire was great show, but I think it's showing its age which is why you might not find it as great.

The slang in the show worked at the time, but probably sounds hella dated now. One of the reasons the show was so widely regarded was, the script was rather loose and they actually cast people from Baltimore to be in the show like Snoop.

Season 2 is a complaint for a lot of people, myself included, but I probably need to go back and watch it, because there is a lot of context there not just setup for later seasons.

Every season had a theme on major institutions within a city, I can't recall them all, but i also assumed this was another reason the show was called The Wire, because it showed how all of the institutions were wired together to create a successful or unsuccessful city.

I'd put seasons 1, 3 and 4 up against any dramatic TV show ever though. The writing in my opinion was just that good.
This is what I couldn't really articulate. The "fit" isn't exactly the same but I feel like if Season 2 was Season 1 almost like a prelude it would be taken a lot differently.
Season 2 is the strongest season from a police procedural standpoint. Watching them unravel the string and almost catch the Greek was great and it showed u how the drug game is much bigger than just the streets. If u enjoy watching detectives detecting shyt, season 2 is a great season. If u watch the show just to watch street dudes shoot each other and watching street politics, then season 2 is gonna be wack to u.
This is true also. The street shyt was captivating but if you can watch shows like Law & Order or The Sopranos which is gritty but not violent every episode The Wire S2 should be easy.

Last edited: