From a breh that just finished "The Wire" for the first time: My thoughts

avon barksdale

i want my corners
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Prison
I wanst cut out for the streets, nikka I built an empire that only crumbled because @avon barksdale wanted to be billy bad ass

:mjtf:
So it was because of me :gucci:

Did you forget your goofy azz was trying to get slim Charles to murk a politician because he played you in the Samething you wanted me to do?

Plus all the snitching :scust:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Season 2 is the strongest season from a police procedural standpoint. Watching them unravel the string and almost catch the Greek was great and it showed u how the drug game is much bigger than just the streets. If u enjoy watching detectives detecting shyt, season 2 is a great season. If u watch the show just to watch street dudes shoot each other and watching street politics, then season 2 is gonna be wack to u.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Avon was a BRILLIANT leader, I don't see how he was unconvincing. His reputation preceded him, plus his family was known in the streets for decades. His name and reputation spread and far and wide so he didn't need to be on some rah rah kill everything that moves shyt. He had the respect of everybody - even Marlo had no choice but to go through him to get to the Greeks.

Stringer was second in command and we see how that worked out in Season 3....that's why Avon was lowkey demoting him and probably would have got Slim Charles to be in second place eventually. Stringer didn't give off boss vibes like that and the crew was only tolerating him because they had to. You can't be a leader if you don't even know how to read people.

Marlo may have appeared more ruthless and fearsome but that's exactly why him and his crew didn't last long. He couldn't see the bigger picture and only thought short term.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Avon was a BRILLIANT leader, I don't see how he was unconvincing. His reputation preceded him, plus his family was known in the streets for decades. His name and reputation spread and far and wide so he didn't need to be on some rah rah kill everything that moves shyt. He had the respect of everybody - even Marlo had no choice but to go through him to get to the Greeks.

Stringer was second in command and we see how that worked out in Season 3....that's why Avon was lowkey demoting him and probably would have got Slim Charles to be in second place eventually. Stringer didn't give off boss vibes like that and the crew was only tolerating him because they had to. You can't be a leader if you don't even know how to read people.

Marlo may have appeared more ruthless and fearsome but that's exactly why him and his crew didn't last long. He couldn't see the bigger picture and only thought short term.

Stringer's biggest problem was that he was trying to reform the drug game....the same as Bunny Colvin on the law side.

Like Avon said: "This ain't always about your business classes. The street is the street".

You can't reform the drug game.

Pirius Black

Superstar
Daps

And Marlo's name didn't ring out in the streets the way Barksdale did. Marlo went that hard because while he had the crown of king and the fear thst it brings, he got none of the love and respect Avon got. Marlo's insecurity is a big part of his characters hollow victory at the end of season 5, by all appearances he's made it, connect sold fot 10mm, he's out the game, but he still gets tried by rando nikkas who don't know him or heard of him. Plus, no fukking love for Bodie?

Daps
Stringer didn't give off boss vibes like that and the crew was only tolerating him because they had to. You can't be a leader if you don't even know how to read people.

Stringer had thugs and killers sitting in a room raising their hand if they wanted to ask questions :russ:

You cant do that if they dont respect you. They had respect for Stringer from jump. Even to the point that they disrespected Omar's Sunday morning based on his word.

Daps
And Marlo's name didn't ring out in the streets the way Barksdale did. Marlo went that hard because while he had the crown of king and the fear thst it brings, he got none of the love and respect Avon got. Marlo's insecurity is a big part of his characters hollow victory at the end of season 5, by all appearances he's made it, connect sold fot 10mm, he's out the game, but he still gets tried by rando nikkas who don't know him or heard of him. Plus, no fukking love for Bodie?

Nah i liked Bodie till he killed Wallace.

As far as Marlo and Avon and the respect they got, doesnt the fact that Marlo tried Avon make your point incorrect?

If Avon was so feared and respected, Marlo never would have came at his neck.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
Nah i liked Bodie till he killed Wallace.

As far as Marlo and Avon and the respect they got, doesnt the fact that Marlo tried Avon make your point incorrect?

If Avon was so feared and respected, Marlo never would have came at his neck.
Marlo was trying king himself, if you want the crown you need to go for the head. That’s why he was ruthless but he was never ruthless enough to try Avon in his presence. If Avon wasn’t in jail marlo would have never disrespected bodie when he stepped to him

Daps
Marlo was trying king himself, if you want the crown you need to go for the head. That’s why he was ruthless but he was never ruthless enough to try Avon in his presence. If Avon wasn’t in jail marlo would have never disrespected bodie when he stepped to him

Marlo was never afraid of Avon. What in the world are you talking about?

When Avon used the girl to set him up, not only did Marlo kill her but when they saw Avon staking the scene out, they slow rode past him and blasted into his car, shooting him and killing one of his folks

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
If you don't appreciate season 2 of The Wire...you've completely missed the point of The Wire. The only weak season was 5.

:hubie:

EDIT: I only just realized that the goofy OP of that thread switched up and got the whole thread shunted to another subforum entirely :beli:

Last edited:

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Stringer had thugs and killers sitting in a room raising their hand if they wanted to ask questions :russ:

You cant do that if they dont respect you. They had respect for Stringer from jump. Even to the point that they disrespected Omar's Sunday morning based on his word.

He was second in command, what choice did they have? That's like in school you're not gonna disrespect your subsitute teacher cos your main teacher will come down on you for that.

There's subtle hints that the crew was tolerating him. Case in point when he had them raising their hands they show the part when Poot and that big bodyguard dude exchanged looks and shook their heads. Then a minute later Poot gets up and says does the chair know they're gonna look like some punk ass bytches out here. He would have never come at Avon like that.

Avon was sonning Stringer the whole season (at times in front of them I might add) because he was more or less expressing how they all felt but couldn't say.