From a breh that just finished "The Wire" for the first time: My thoughts

Daps
One has spawned multiple classroom studies and research papers, one has not :sas2:

The Shield is pretty consistent but Vic gets away with almost TOO much shyt.

After I just watched McNulty stage multiple murders, break federal laws by kidnapping across state lines, get a major American city on edge because of his lies, the lie makes national news, then a copycat gets inspired and actually starts murdering folks and you wanna talk about getting away with something? :mjpls:

Not to mention at the end everyone knows about it and laughs it off like "Haha that's just ole crazy McNulty lulz"

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
After watching both, The Shield is the better show. But some brehs will disagree :yeshrug:

Vic Mackey is the goat scumbag cop. :banderas:

I agree. :mjpls: I mean I always thought it was more consistent than The Wire. The Shield bodied all 7 seasons it had and even ended strong. A lot of HBO classics couldn't even manage that with 5+ seasons.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
After I just watched McNulty stage multiple murders, break federal laws by kidnapping across state lines, get a major American city on edge because of his lies, the lie makes national news, then a copycat gets inspired and actually starts murdering folks and you wanna talk about getting away with something? :mjpls:

Not to mention at the end everyone knows about it and laughs it off like "Haha that's just ole crazy McNulty lulz"

The lies were a necessary evil to catch the bad guys :mjgrin:

Everything he did was service of his city :mjpls:

Vic did everything for himself.

"Did everything for my family" ass:mjpls:

Killed a cop

Multiple assaults

Killed a witness

Worked with criminals

There is a whole wiki page :russ:

List of crimes by Vic Mackey

Daps
The lies were a necessary evil to catch the bad guys :mjgrin:

Everything he did was service of his city :mjpls:

Vic did everything for himself.

"Did everything for my family" ass:mjpls:

Killed a cop

Multiple assaults

Killed a witness

Worked with criminals

There is a whole wiki page :russ:

List of crimes by Vic Mackey

And everyone (rightly) turned on Vic once they discovered what he did.

These fools was singing and having fun at a fake memorial for McNulty as if this fool wasnt responsible for near destruction of the police department, murders and the end of multiple careers not to mention federal crimes

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

These fools was singing and having fun at a fake memorial for McNulty as if this fool wasnt responsible for near destruction of the police department, murders and the end of multiple careers not to mention federal crimes

Only Cedric Daniels gave him that :birdman: "To be continued..." He was done with dude :dead:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps

The Wire's "leading" white man had a good heart damnit :damn:

Folks didn't turn on Vic until there were MULTIPLE bodies.

At that point, the people who could turn on him were either dead or going to jail for life.:wow:

Shane was gonna end the series if Vic didn't get in the room :mjpls:

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
@neotheflyingone

The Wire was great show, but I think it's showing its age which is why you might not find it as great.

The slang in the show worked at the time, but probably sounds hella dated now. One of the reasons the show was so widely regarded was, the script was rather loose and they actually cast people from Baltimore to be in the show like Snoop.

Season 2 is a complaint for a lot of people, myself included, but I probably need to go back and watch it, because there is a lot of context there not just setup for later seasons.

Every season had a theme on major institutions within a city, I can't recall them all, but i also assumed this was another reason the show was called The Wire, because it showed how all of the institutions were wired together to create a successful or unsuccessful city.

I'd put seasons 1, 3 and 4 up against any dramatic TV show ever though. The writing in my opinion was just that good.