Fredo gotta be the saddest character in movie history

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
He only appeared in what? Five movies? Yet he got rub elbows with Brando, Pacino, DeNiro, Hackman, Streep - and he even got his own documentary. :wow:
AND all 5 of those films were nominated, NOMINATED for Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

RIP JOHN CAZALE :mjcry:

Hovsta

Pokemon Gang
Daps
Fredo is a tragic person, but Michael is the most saddest. Its all about American greed.

Fredo was never meant for the Mob life, too kind, maybe autistic/gay. All he wanted to do was to help the family, but he lacked the smarts or courage. His downfall was trying to prove himself, as he didn't know Ola was planning a hit on Mike and lying about not knowing.

At most he should have been kicked out of the family. Instead Michael was too far gone, as he went against his "This is not who I am" when instead he is much worse.

He didn't have to shoot Sollazzo/McCluskey, but he wanted to out of revenge.

He didn't have to kill Moe Green (which in turn got Fredo killed, exposed Michael to the Senate with Frank Pentangeli by accident), but wanted to because of Greed

He didn't have to kill Fredo, but did because he viewed the Mob as family, and forgot what family was. He thought he was smart and found out that he fukked up everything by his own hand. The last scene in Godfather 3 said it all, a broken man dying by a stroke in a chair with NO family.

Breh Thank you for posting this very important scene. You can literally see the difference in all four of their mindsets.

Sonny: aggresive, talkative, semi leadership qualities, family first
Tom: level headed, calm, book smart
Mike: leader does things his way, semi aggresive when pushed.
Fredo: getting punked by sonny, too happy to accept mike going to army.

I mean look at the way Tom said "Pops" and the way Sonny introduces him as his step brother (which I think is an error he was there adopted brother). Also the position e was at the table. Lowkey I think Vito was on some Heihachi(Tekken) and had Tom there not because he saved Sonny from a raptist and was his best friend since they were youngings. He saw his potential and knew he would never be a Don due to being irish but would be used a competition to keep sonny and mike in line the same way Heihachi used used Lee Chaolin against Kazuya. I know this seems like a reach.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My brother reminds me of Fredo.

Neither my brother or the character are dumb guys. Just lack the self awareness to stick to what they are good at and ask for help in situations above their head.

And just scanning this thread you guys don’t remember anything. Michael waited until their mom passed to take care of Fredo. Therefore, he would have never done it while Vito was alive.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Breh Thank you for posting this very important scene. You can literally see the difference in all four of their mindsets.

Sonny: aggresive, talkative, semi leadership qualities, family first
Tom: level headed, calm, book smart
Mike: leader does things his way, semi aggresive when pushed.
Fredo: getting punked by sonny, too happy to accept mike going to army.

I mean look at the way Tom said "Pops" and the way Sonny introduces him as his step brother (which I think is an error he was there adopted brother). Also the position e was at the table. Lowkey I think Vito was on some Heihachi(Tekken) and had Tom there not because he saved Sonny from a raptist and was his best friend since they were youngings. He saw his potential and knew he would never be a Don due to being irish but would be used a competition to keep sonny and mike in line the same way Heihachi used used Lee Chaolin against Kazuya. I know this seems like a reach.
Its also vital, because at the end Michael is all alone at the table. But the scene shows each charecter.

Sonny's impulsive nature, which got him killed. Tom always looking out for Mike, but at the same time questioning his decision. Fredo supporting Mike, but Sonny slapping his hand. Connie being treated like 2nd class.

James Caan got his GF salary for this scene, as he demanded the payment for it. Brando was supposed to cameo but he felt mistreated by Paramount executives, and Clemenza was SUPPOSED to be Frank Pentangeli's character but the actor was requesting Brando money.

So many missed things that would have tied so many things.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I didn't think that Fredo wanted to kill Michael. Maybe I misunderstood that part. At least he got to bang cocktail waitresses two at a time.

I didn't get that, either. I don't think he wanted Michael killed - he was just an epic fukkup who got caught up. Could be wrong, obviously.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
I didn't get that, either. I don't think he wanted Michael killed - he was just an epic fukkup who got caught up. Could be wrong, obviously.
Fredo NEVER wanted to kill Michael. He just wanted to prove to the family that he wasn't a fukk up. Was Johnny Ola came to him, he didn't know that what he told them would lead to an assassination attempt. So when he came to Cuba, he tried to keep everything hidden because he was afraid of his younger brother.

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
Fredo NEVER wanted to kill Michael. He just wanted to prove to the family that he wasn't a fukk up. Was Johnny Ola came to him, he didn't know that what he told them would lead to an assassination attempt. So when he came to Cuba, he tried to keep everything hidden because he was afraid of his younger brother.

The scene where he is called in his bed confirms. He had no idea and didnt wanna hear about it.

That tho makes me iffy cause they were tryna pin it on pentagelli, but wouldnt fredo then know it was roth? He didnt tell michael then

He tries to stay quiet until he sees johnny ola in cuba

So fredo didnt realize his info to ola got mike attacked but knew it was ola after right?

Either way... he knew aftrrwards and knew he was in too deep and tried to let things play out.

He shouodnt have been killed tho. Mike was a sociopath

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
The scene where he is called in his bed confirms. He had no idea and didnt wanna hear about it.

That tho makes me iffy cause they were tryna pin it on pentagelli, but wouldnt fredo then know it was roth? He didnt tell michael then

He tries to stay quiet until he sees johnny ola in cuba

So fredo didnt realize his info to ola got mike attacked but knew it was ola after right?

Either way... he knew aftrrwards and knew he was in too deep and tried to let things play out.

He shouodnt have been killed tho. Mike was a sociopath

Correct, he would've heard about the Hit within hours, and Fredo would've realized he was played. Its ambiguous to if Fredo ordered the hit, but with the ending to GF2 I side with Fredo not knowing Roth wanted to kill Mike.

Especially this scene. You can see Fredo feeling so weak and helpless, on the verge of tears trying to express his sadness.

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
Correct, he would've heard about the Hit within hours, and Fredo would've realized he was played. Its ambiguous to if Fredo ordered the hit, but with the ending to GF2 I side with Fredo not knowing Roth wanted to kill Mike.

Especially this scene. You can see Fredo feeling so weak and helpless, on the verge of tears trying to express his sadness.

The deep thing about this scene is that the chair he is in was actually broken in real life and he wasn't able to sit up right in it. And it was cold in the cabin and you can actually see Mike's breath (on hi resolution).

So much depth in these first two movies. Anytime i hear someone say the GF sucks or Goodfellas is better i dont argue i just hit em with the :camby:

What ppl are also leaving out is that Fredo was the older brother of Micheal. Dude was the fukkup of the family and had to take orders from his kid brother who wasn't even supposed to be in the biz. :heh:

Every small responsibility they gave him he fukked up.

Guard his pops: He drops the gun
Watch over the business in Vegas: Gets slapped up and taken advantage of by Mo Green
Watch over the business in Cuba: Almost gets Michael killed.

Every task that was bestowed upon Mike he aced it. Killed Sollozo in a risky situation. Defended his pops in the hospital, settled all family business during the Baptism scene. Plus Mike had the smarts not to be the bull in the China shop like Sonny and the nuts to be more ruthless than his dad. He was the Michael Jackson of the family and Fredo was Tito. He even figured Fredo out, told him he knew what was up then tried to save him AFTER he knew Fredo was a rat and double crosser.

tenor.gif